1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your Top 5 best/worse Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by lordyyasmine, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Eh.....top 5 is a reaaally small list. I'll post the top 10, and you can ignore the other five at your leisure, deal ?

:toast:

Good, here goes:

1) Baldur's Gate (Series, PC).
    2) Mass Effect (PC).
    3) Neverwinter Nights (Series, Endless 3rd Party Adventures, PC).
    4) Knights of the Old Republic (Series, PC).
    5) X-COM: Terror From The Deep (PC).

(Are you seeing a trend in that list ? Heh...)

6) Valkyria Chronicles (PS3).
    7) Star Control 2 (PC).
    8) Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Including Expansion, PC).
    9) Strike Commander (PC).
    10) Descent: Freespace (Series, PC).

And the honorable mentions of: Rome: Total War, Medieval 2: Total War, Empire: Total War, Star Wars: X-Wing, Final Fantasy VII and the Earthsiege series (Including Starsiege, but not including Tribes).

I tend to really not remember bad games, because I just stop playing them early enough. The only one I can recall being simply bad is Platoon (PC).
  2. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres no point in arguing with somebody like that over Halo. My point stands and its just the fact that the only reason people hate Halo (im talking 1, not the other 2) is because a little after it was released it was so widely popular. For some reason people of America have a thing against mainstream stuff.

I would laugh so hard if CD has or loves the 360 because Microsofts Xbox console wouldnt have even evolved the way it did if it wasnt for Halo. Halo increased the Xbox sales by alot.
    Think about it, when Halo was released there where like NO good games for the Xbox.

A overly hyped shitty game for example, would be Doom3.

The graphics where so over hyped but all it was, was shadows. Lots. Of. Shadows. Now how cliche is a game that when you walk into a room the lights shut off and you get attacked by monsters? Oh wait, because of those shadows you cant tell how shitty the game really looked.
  3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    As a person who has had two 360's(both died) and an Xbox 1, i can say they are both great systems (besides the dieing). I do believe that Halo contributed A LOT to the sales of the 360 and first Xbox. But my stance is on the hype of the game itself, its not that i dislike it cause its widely popular. Its because to me, it contributed absolutely nothing to the industry, its one of the most run of the mill console games ive seen to date and this is the mainstream aside, hell, i can't wait for Modern Warfare 2 and everyone and there grandma knows it's coming out. Its just that, i strongly believe in deserved hype, games that truly bought something to the table and to this day people still think back and say, damn that game kicked ass. But for me, Halo doesn't come close to that standard of game, maybe for you guys it does. But for me, i'd rather play Half-Life to the day i die.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    odameyer says thanks.
  4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My theory is you played Halo a good bit of time after it came out. In my experience this is usually the best explanation for an avid gamer's "mehness" towards a landmark game. I share your sentiment but instead for Half-life, and I attribute much of this to the fact that I played it well after it's release, thus could not fully appreciate it's proper level of awesomeness so many bestowed upon it on release. For me Halo>Half-Life (1 or 2) to such a large degree it would make your head spin, but I bought an Xbox and the original Halo within months of their release, without knowing much about the game other than it was supposed to be pretty good. I then enjoyed it's campaign and multi-player more than any other FPS since Perfect Dark (sequel to Golden Eye, which I also got just after release and was blown away). After that I played Half-Life 2, and was thoroughly unimpressed with the whole adventure. I felt it was hardly new, did little to excite me, and although enjoyable hardly worth the accolades it receives. Had I played it the day it came out, my view would probably be different.

Personal preferences aside (b/c of course there are some), I think many differences in things of this nature (fav games of all time) depends heavily on when exactly one partakes in the experience.

Game on. :rockout:

As a side note Halo didn't just contribute to the Xbox's success, I submit it was the reason for it's survival. Although MS is a huge company, when they first announced their system there was much skepticism as to its ability or place to succeed. It was far far behind all gaming systems before Halo. Halo was such a complete success, critically and in sales, it is the reason there is an Xbox 360, the reason that system has sold despite it's incessant failure, and the reason people who have never seen an FPS before it say they love the game (that one's for better or worse). Considering it's content (geeky sci-fi story of killing aliens) the fact that it's been sold so successfully is almost alone a testament to it's greatness, although not by a long shot a true showing of it's merits.
  5. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    CoD2 brought new stuff, 3,4,5 and now 6 will not.

Doom3 was overly hyped and brought nothing but the next gen "shadow" games. *cough* fear *cough*

I can rattle off a bunch of games that brought absolutely nothing new but a few new graphics updates and a new story line. The problem is, is most ALL new games are run of the mill. But thing back to 01 when Halo actualy came out. It WAS actualy new. New story line, new hero, new next gen graphics from console, new mainstream game that everybody was afraid to give a taste but learned to love. My stance still remains, most of the haters just dont like it because its a very widely popular game.

Your point is absolutely moot though by what you just said. Modern Warfare 2 is bringing nothing new to the table. Halo actually did.

You pretty much just said a long version of what i said. Halo IS the reason for the Xbox success and THE reason most people of the console type started playing an FPS. Matter a fact, Halo is the reason i got into FPS. Before then i practically only played games that used a joystick (mechwarrior, descent, various other flying and racing games). But it isnt the reason im making this argument though because i think there are far better FPS games then Halo for example i like CoD4 more than Halo. I have enjoyed Stalker Clear Sky more than i enjoyed playing through the campaign of Halo3. Hell, it took me till i had a DX10 card and fully capable of running Halo2 on Vista before i even beat the campaign on that game. To put it mildly, im no fanboy. I just dont like it when people bash a decent game over a stupid point which is their mild opinion.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    a game does not have to bring "new" things to be good.

it merely needs to get all the things that people liked from previous games, and do it right.

EG, CoD WaW is half loved, half hated because while it follows the same formula as the other CoD games, it changed some things in ways people didnt like. it was new alright, and people did not LIKE the new stuff.

COD: MW2 will be bringing all the best of modern warfare (a favourite of many), adding more polish, removing the mistakes from WaW, and adding a few features that WaW did right - such as a coop story mode.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    What did WaW do wrong man?
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the MP went to crap for competitive play, for example. the 'abilities' you unlock (such as the dogs) and the inability to turn them off for MP, made hte game require mods to be of any use in competitive tournaments.

another thing i hear complained about constantly is that when playing coop/zombie, the server always resets to default settings between rounds - it doesnt remember the map or settings from previous rounds, and requires you to manually set everything all over again.

a lot of people also hated the linear, 'walled-in' singleplayer - play those early jungle levels again, and try and go off the rails - you cant. you get forced right into every ambush, right into every enemy. when your natural instinct is to seek cover and search for the enemy before proceeding, it makes the game ridiculous. you have one path to one destination, where the one, same scripted event occurs every time.

at least in CoD: MW, you could go a little off the rails in many places (two paths, different objects for cover, etc) - not forced into ONE narrow little walkway.
  9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    best
    1-crysis
    2-crysis
    3-crysis
    4-crysis
    5-crysis

worst
    flash point dragon rising (flash disappoint)
  10. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    When it was first announced and getting ready to be released it deserved to be hyped up, considering what the past games brought us, i do agree the game fell short of everyone's expectations.

Yes, most new games are run of the mill, but even then, i don't wake up to see any of the main characters on Doritos bags or mountain dew. There's nothing wrong with having run of the mill titles, im not saying that a game that gets hyped up NEEDS to have new graphics and a new storyline and has to bring something new to the table. But to the level that Halo is hyped, it does. The fact that it's widely popular is irrelevant to my reason for hating Halo, i could careless if your dad, mom, sister knows about the game.

Now, im not trying to ''bash'' Halo, its a decent game overall.

I'm not buying MW2 because it's bringing anything new, it was just an overall good game. I was only stating that the mainstream doesn't influence my choice in a game. Halo is on that level, a game that didn't bring anything to the genre, but is a decent game overall. No more, no less.

I'm not arguing the fact that a new game has to bring changes to the industry, but when a game gets to the level of hype as Halo, its sure as hell better be bringing something to the table. Now im not saying we should take copies of the game and burn em in a bonfire, but people need to really look at the game and reevaluate what they see as a revolutionary game that halo is hyped to be.
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    halos revolution was that a mainstream FPS was put out on a console, with cutting edge graphics, great controls (for a console) and a great storyline/plot with a well thought out universe for it to exist in.

compare the depth of halos universe to doom - halo has the covenant and the flood, as well as earths "history" in that universe. doom has... aliens invading. thats it, lol.

until halo, shooters on consoles were either third person, or B grade at best.

its like the new wolfenstein, there was simply very little they could bring in, due to the limited universe that it exists in - nazis, in that case (and that leads to the nazi experiments with the occult)

MW2 has its appeal in that unlike most FPS games, its actually modern. we get updated weapons, we get fights that we know of (or approximations of them) that have occured WITHIN OUR LIFETIMES.

it may not bring anything new to the FPS genre, but that doesnt mean it cant have an immense appeal due to the modern setting, storytelling, and the smooth, bug free experience of infinity ward games.
  12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you really need something new, the control scheme Halo used was actually the first of it's kind, and is now mimicked by virtually every FPS on the counsel. If you need a reason why it's great, go to any game review website, I don't care just pick one, better yet go to metacritic (collection of reviews), and see what was said about it when it came out. Again the key here for you is you likely didn't play it when it came out, but a while after, which can dull the wowness of a game like that.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gota call you out there, Golden Eye 64. Epic, although it does make your eyes bleed after playing current FPS games :laugh:
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I gotta agree with panther, Goldeneye for the N64 is one of my favorite FPS games, ever

bring some friends over hook up the old N64, and play goldeneye = a good time for me

I think goldeneye has a better gaming experience than halo 3 even minus the online.

FPS games are more about gameplay than graphics and halo 3 has decent gameplay, and decent graphics, but the farther you go back the more gameplay was more important.
  15. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys think gonldeneye is good, pick up a copy of Perfect Dark for the N64. Everything awesome about Goldeneye remain intact (including most of the multi levels) but with bots, a veritable smorgasbord of weapons, and so many single and co-op modes even by today standards it's deeper than just about anything out there. I still don't know if there's ever been as complete a package as Perfect Dark was, for it's time it was indeed perfect.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    goldeneye and perfect dark do have good reps, i admit i skipped those due to never owning an N64 (i honestly cant use their controllers. its redonculously hard for me to use with my big man-hands)
  17. syker New Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree entirely with tetris and bejeweled. i hate sports games entirely. uhh...

top 4 best: (most favorite to least favorite

Allegiance
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (best classic game ever)
    PWI
    Crysis
  18. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Agreed and fixed above.
    Mussels says thanks.
  19. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Damn theres so much wrong in this about MW2... No mods, no dedicated, no coop in story, take a pick
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i thought there was coop? :O

if theres no coop, my interest in this game will have died right off.
  21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    My worse 5 has changed again lol. I've completely forgotten about sports games. I don't even really count them as games.

so

Worst 5
    All Sport Games in Exstance.

Don't care what anyone thinks, they all fail. Go play for real.....
  22. syker New Member

Thanks Received:
    New Order

faves:

PWI (you need to try it)
    :respect:Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars:cool: (still the best freakin' game ever!)
    Starcraft: Brood War
    Allegiance

the worst :banghead:wtmfh?!:banghead: (what the mother-f_cking hell?!) games are:

runescape (the worst game ever):nutkick::nutkick:
    all sports games (which is WAY more than five... sorry, haha:laugh:)
  23. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    best games
    1.super mario bro. (doesnt matter which one, all classics, it basically started the whole gaming thing)
    2.zelda links awakening (gameboy color, brings back all the memories)
    3.duke nukem 3D ("It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum." duke, you just cant die, where is duke nuke forever??)
    4.NEXUIZ (nice FPS deathmatch and it is also opensource, uses modified quake engine)
    5.Total Annihilation Spring (nice 3d epic RTS, up to 100,000 units at a time, Ok I am joking but at 5000 units its still a lot better than Supreme Commander)

Worst game of all time:
    Duke Nukem Forever, (a big let down, it didnt even come out, what have you been doing for the last 15 years, 3D realms????)
  24. Vam

Vam New Member

Thanks Received:
    top 5
    1 BioShock :)
    2 Devil May Cry 4-3
    3 Resident Evil 5
    4 Assassin's Creed
    5 Crysis

top 5 not enouhgt good
    1 Stalker
    2 Test Drive Unlimited