1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Z68 motherboard! help me!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Irish_PXzyan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Well hello there lads! :toast:

First thing's first! two weeks ago I bought a lovely new lil system for myself which consists of a new tower! " Gigabyte GZ-G2 plus " along with a lovely i5 2500k and a Corsair A50 cooler!
    I got a nice lil Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1600mhz kit and an Asrock Z68 board to compliment it!

But once I figured out the board was faulty I RMA it!
    Two weeks later and there's no progress!! Brilliant so it is! :mad:

Sooo! I'm getting it refunded and I'm going to buy a different board :ohwell:

Ah sure!

What I'm looking into getting is an ASUS P8Z68-V LX
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-p8z68-v-lx-s1155-intel-z68-ddr3-atx-7PGM.html

It's roughly the same price as the AsRock I was going to have!
    I like the reviews and I can't see why I shouldn't go for it!
    Your thoughts on this board??

I don't want to spend over 100 euro! But if I can be convinced to spend the extra cash then I'm all ears!

For example:
    Would this be worth spending an extra 20 euro on?

MSI Z68A-G45 (G3)
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/pro...si_z68a_g45_(g3)_socket_1155_atx/details.aspx

Advice please!

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    and why Mr Brandon would I wanna buy them! explain!!

4. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I have this board *Gen3 version* and with has TONS of features along with 8+2 Phase VRM setup. Also allows for 8x8 Xfire and SLI.

The LE/LX asus boards have had issues from what I searched on google.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    First; Sorry my board recommendation didn't go over so well. I am truly sorry and very sincere.

Second; Which would YOU rather have Asus without SLI or spend a little extra, get the MSI with SLI? Both board from what i can see give the same layout of slots when utilizing multi-gpu. The Asus though with single GPU would allow more legacy PCI cards. Me personally, I have said in your RMA thread, I'm biased against MSI.

6. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    The board seems quite good, decent for multi GPU setups but I don't see myself ever going down that road tbh.

Ah sure Jr, shit happens!! Tiz terrible!! But life goes on!
    I've always liked MSI! Never had problems with any motherboard from them! But I would prefer to go ASUS or Asrock! But after the Asrock fail I think ASUS is the way to go!

I just can't see anything wrong with it!

7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, RMAing a board takes way longer than you might think. I'm currently in the process with AsRock of North America. They take a minimum of two weeks, plus whatever time it took to get the RMA authorization.

I'm looking at 3.5 weeks total between starting the e-mail process, and getting back a (hopefully) functional board. Gigabyte has been significantly worse, as it took 3 weeks just to get RMA authorization....

On to a slightly more interesting topic, the MSI board seems to have quite a few instances of failure reported and little else spectacular. For my money, I'd go with the ASUS board. Neither of them is spectacular, but at this price point they have a fair set of features.

AlienIsGOD and Irish_PXzyan say thanks.
  8. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Jayziz almighty!! thank god I'm refunding it so! flippin hell!

I'm a simple man! As long as I get the system up and running with overclocking potential then I'm sold!

9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Irish_PXzyan and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  10. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea its a great board if you can go above your 100$ limit.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
  12. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    It's hard to compete with yee lads sticking together on the gigabyte!!
    But I certainly do like its specs! It's a right ole toughy now!!
    I might just consider it so!

13. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Do it! LOL

its about the best I could find for the price.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well consider the GB boards were still running award bios last I knew too.

15. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    I'm selling my Acer Iconia A500 tablet to make some extra cash! Then I could get an even better one if all goes well!
    Wish me luck!!

16. maleficarus

maleficarus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok this isn't going to win me any new friends but its honest advice comming from someone that has been building PC's since 1996. AZrock is a low-end version of Asus. Actually Asus created AZrock to compete with the everyone else releasing cheap motherboards. There is a reason why there motherboards are cheaper. I own a Asus P8Z68V-PRO with latest BIOS. This board is rock solid and can OC like a champ! No problems since day one....Buy it you won't be upset...

17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    who said i was your friend? :wtf::wtf: - nah im only joking

how long youve been building pc's for is irelivant, just because youve been doing it for the last decade doesnt actually prove you know what you are talking about.

thats were you are wrong, its spelt 'AsRock' not AZrock with Z. AsRock did start off as a subsidary of Asus, but they have been spun off and are now their own company. as far as 'cheap motherboards' go - have you seen their higher end models?? their Extreme and Pro series boards directly compete against Asus boards. AsRock boards also give you a lot of features for the exact same money you would pay for an Asus board and they are good overclockers. there are reviews out there how their Extreme4 boards push 2500k's to 5Ghz and even higher.

AsRock no longer limit themselves to the 'budget' part of the market. you really need to keep upto date with this stuff.

I own an Asus P8Z68V-PRO with latest BIOS and I can truely claim it OC's like a champ at 4.9Ghz. 4Ghz?? really, that OC for a 2500k is pretty mediocre unless you didnt plan to really OC it anyway in which case you wouldnt really know how well a board handles an OC stably 24/7

Sincerely yours.

Mr Asshole

18. maleficarus

maleficarus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well what makes my statement relevant is since 1996 I have never had a part go bad on me, ever! So unless I have a PC-god sitting under my desk I think I can post advice, no?

And the Z was a typo sorry. If you look on the keyboard the Z is right under the S...fair enough?

And here is the thing, Asus created the company. They wanted to form a company to release cheap motherboards to compete directly with foxcon, ECS, MSI, etc etc...

This is why ASrock was created. It dosen't matter they are now there "own" company now. What is relevant is why they were created in the first place by Asus..

I suggest you learn your PC history first before you jump on me kay?

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you can post advice so long as its not incorrect advice.

you are excused.

Actually it does.

Do you walk into a butchers shop demanding they do your dry cleaning because they were dry cleaners before the old boss sold up and someone else bought out the property and turned it into a butcher shop?? Of course not.

"Then" and "Now" are two different things, things change and they are not the same company anymore despite being the same company all along.

Asus made them compete in the budget/low end market. - that was yesterdays AsRock, todays AsRock competes directly with the high end boards that any manufacturer has to offer, be it Asus, MSI or Gigabyte and its because they are not enslaved and governed by the same ideals and executives that made them primarily focus on the budget sector.

So it is plenty relivant. AsRocks history can be said that they were very successful in the lowend market and have the experience and the expertise to compete against the big names.

I suggest you stop living in the past before you try to correct me kay?

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    AsRock is its own company now not tied to Asus at all and Make boards that even beat Asus Models in features and overclocking. If You want to talk low end, Look at ECS, Biostar, Jetway.

ASRock has been winning awards left and right for features/ reliability and overclocking capability

21. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Jayziz almighty lads! Tiz like an ASUS vs AsRock warzone all of a sudden!

Anyway!
    I couldn't wait any longer and went with the budget board from ASUS! No disrespect to AsRock!

The ASUS P8Z68-V LX
    I'm looking forward to this board now! I will be able to test it compared to my brothers AsRock board which are almost exactly the same and same price!
    His board has allowed him to overclock the 4.4Ghz safely and was able to reach 4.6Ghz but ran a bit to hot for the extra 200Mhz.

I hope this board will manage it easily!