1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Z68 Question

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by helloWorld, May 29, 2011.

1. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this Z68 the latest from Intel? I am purchasing parts for a computer and I was wondering if this will be the best thing around for some time. If so, should I get the 2600K or wait for a better processor?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am just getting into this stuff.
  2. chuchnit

chuchnit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Z68 is the latest for the time being. If I were buying today that is the board I would get since it's looking like BIOS support is starting to suck for many P67's. As far as the 2600k, well that subjective. I mean it depends on exactly what you are using the computer for. The better processors for this socket won't be coming out until next year but you should be able to just update the bios and drop the new ivy bridges in if the rumors are correct. Depending on your usage the 2500k might be a better choice and save some coins.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    #1 Yes! it is the latest from Intel

#2 a 2600k is good but ONLY if you need hyperthreading. if not then go for a 2500k

overall, it depends what you use your PC for. if you dont encode video much then theres no real use going for the 2600k. an overclocked 2500k will perform almost neck and neck for cheaper.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  4. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you guys.

I plan on using this computer mostly for gaming. Do you guys think it would outperform a Core i7 950?

Also, I have read that the Asus P8Z68-V PRO is a good motherboard, what do you guys think about it?
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    If you Overclock the 2500k to 4.9Ghz, it would even put a i7 980X to shame (and thats one seriously expensive processor)

the P8Z68-V Pro is a good board. (i have one myself) but some p67p68 boards are still cheaper. the Z68 board is only more expensive because its just been released. If you think you need the new features on the Z68 then its upto you, otherwise a p67 performs and overclocks just as well.

so the real question here is how much you are willing to spend.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  6. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am giving myself a limit of around 3000 USD.
  7. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Thats overkill.

anyone here will tell you that you dont even need 1500USD for a good system.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  8. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    That 3000 USD also includes the water cooling, monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, speakers and other stuff like that.

3000 USD may be a lot, but I have set aside that much money and I am comfortable with spending it.
  9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well, If you wish to go all out, then thats completely upto you. If you only want the best then go for the 2600k. you can afford it anyway
    helloWorld says thanks.
  10. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you guys for your responses.
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    $3000 budget,something like this what I would build-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would also look into some high end PCIE ssd or hardware based raid card solutions. My 3ware raid setup with two corsair force 120's performs beautifully. It is overall faster and safer than running raid off of your board/chipset. It will increase your IO throughput quite a bit. It really depends what you will use the system for though. If you're just gaming or something I would look at investing in an eyefinity setup or a 30"+ screen.

Eyefinity was one of the best decisions I've made as far as my personal computers in the past year. I went with 3 lower priced Samsung BX2431 LED LCD's for mine. They are very solid performing screens for the price (around $249 US each). Although you could get some similarly priced smaller screens with VESA compliance and get a nice 3 screen stand. Portrait mode eyefinity is quite amazing as well.

I would also put some of that money into quality peripherals and sound. You will thank yourself later.

Good luck with your new build!
  13. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    People always seem to forget that the 2600 also has 33% more L3 cache than the 2500. It's not just HT that it has to it's advantage.
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    small details like that dont really matter when the 2 processors are literally about 200-500 points apart in most CPU benchmarks when overclocked.
  15. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't care about synthetic benchmarks. There are real world applications where the extra cache can make quite the difference.
  16. INFRNL New Member

Thanks Received:
    if your into distributed computing; the 2600k is the only way to go.
    as far as mobos you will get the usual mixed opinions on choice. for SB I have used Asus. For X58 I used Gigabyte. AsRock is supposed to have some great boards as well

Good Luck with your choices
  17. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    This is true of low cache processors with no L3/2mb L2 etc, though I would like to see some proof of this with regards to a 2500k and a 2600k where the 2500k has a decent sized 6mb L3 as it is.
  18. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    It all depends on what you are doing. There aren't any comparisons out there with the two at the same clock speed with HT disabled so it's hard to say anything for sure. I see a lot of people assuming that there is little or no difference between the two chips without any hard evidence.
    LordJummy says thanks.