1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Z68 x3 gen3 PCIE Problems

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Zaxmazr, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Zaxmazr New Member

Thanks Received:
    So this randomly started happening today, when I had my 6970 in the first PCIE slot (as it was forever and worked perfectly), it suddenly wouldnt give a signal.

I moved it down to the 3rd slot, and now it works. Can the first PCIE slot be faulty?

I just replaced my dead PSU 2 days ago with a OCZ 850w mod 80+gold, so I doubt it's a power issue. :wtf:

Any ideas on why this is happening?
    Also, I just flashed to the latest BIOS version, and this is still happening!

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can try to clean out the slot with compressed air, or even run an eraser on the fingers to try to get the top slot working. If the card works in lower slots, but when returned to the top slot it still wont function, I have to think something went wrong.

You didn't jiggle the CPU cooler or re-TIM it did you?

Since the NB/chipset is essentially the CPU, it is possible that knocking the CPU out of whack may cause such an issue.

3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    ^ That's definitely where I would start, too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Zaxmazr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont recall ever hitting the cpu, but I will try the compressed air tomorrow (have to go pick a can up)

5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I dont mean that it is dirty, I mean you may want to pull the cooler, lift the proc out, look for pin damages. If there is nothing, re-seat the CPU ad cooler and see if the lanes are working then. If not I would start a support ticket for an RMA for the ASRock motherboard.

Zaxmazr says thanks.
  6. Zaxmazr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you so much for all your replies :)
    Dont think I have any paste on me atm, so will have to wait a few days. (Left it at home)

7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    yes definitely get some fresh paste to reapply:)

8. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had this problem a while ago, no definite fix if its the same kinda deal (spent weeks scrolling through forums and google searches).

I had similar problem where every now and then on a cold or warm boot the GPU would not give a signal (GTX275). It would take me to take out the GPU, boot with onboard Graphics, shut down, re install GPU and then I would get a signal again.

I could not find a definite reason as to why this was happening. I replaced the Motherboard, no change, replaced PSU, still no change. After a while though it just stopped happening..

So I really dunno what causes the problem if it is similar to what my problem was.

The reason I believe it to be similar is it required you to move the GPU to a different slot for it to work, similar to me removing and then reseating in the same slot.'

Try slot '1' again and see if you get a signal, because I doubt its a faulty slot.