1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

z77 boards with no thunderbolt!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Duekay, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Duekay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys just been looking at the new boards out now with the ivy bridge cpus,
    I notice in the Gigabyte line up there is no mention about thunderbolt included in the boards.
    As far as I'm aware the CPUs are capability is there.

Any ideas gents
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Is there a reason your asking this because what devices really use Thunderbolt right now? Why not check other board makers websites for their lineups too if your so worried about it.

Rest assured those who are not upgrading their boards or who have boards without thunderbolt can get a Pci Express Plug In Card.
  3. Duekay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh sweet didn't know they done a pcie card, I want it for faster networking atm... But then again last generation TB was giving not the most fantastic networking results. I have just found gigabit to be pretty limiting
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what is it youre exactly doing that constitues you needing more than the RJ45 Lan/Ethernet port on the machine?
  5. Duekay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Multiple hd video steams is well as loading high quality audio gettng loaded/recorded regularly.
    I also use cad packages like revit that have files as large as a gigabyte that copy over its self every few minutes.

As far as what I can see TB will be a quick cheap network upgrade to allow for r/w over 125MBs
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    in all honesty get a TB card when they come out
  7. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    There are boards with Thunderbolt, MSI has one http://www.techpowerup.com/161912/Thunderbolt-Port-Pictured-on-MSI-Z77A-GD80.html and also Intel is supposed to release one board with thunderbolt it will be in the Extreme Series was supposed to come out April 9 with the other mobos but was delayed to some time this year, the board will be known as DZ77RE-75K so you can wait for this it will have second gen thunderbolt connector according to sources hence it was delayed if you have seen DZ77GA-70K you'll notice a missing chip and port on the board people say that it is supposed to be where the thunderbolt was to be placed http://www.techspot.com/review/521-intel-z77-motherboard-roundup/page8.html or http://www.techpowerup.com/163336/Intel-Unveils-New-Z77-Motherboards.html check the first photo carefully you will see a missing chip