1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman CNPS10X Quiet

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Inioch

Inioch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice review with great pictures. Am I blind, or where there no test system specs in the review? I like seeing the hw things are tested on.
  3. Omega

Omega New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also miss the test system specs table.

And is that some kind of a mistake with CoolerMaster V10 results for stock idle/load?
    Same temps, and very low temps never the less would mean you have a perpetum mobile under the cooler, not an cpu.

If I may suggest moving the test system to LGA 1156/1336 platform, or at least get Phenom II X4 965 model. Older bins are known for their buggy temp. sensor.

Other than that, great review, love the clean pictures.
  4. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the CPU in use was not mentioned. But if you look closely at the pic when the thermal grease is applied, you can see the little codes or whatever on the CPU itself. It's a Phenom II 955. This is also consistent with the stock speed of 3.2GHz.

But I would have to disagree with some of the conclusions made in the article.

This makes it seem like the V10 is an amazing cooler because it has the help of a TEC. In fact, it's not really that great. The pelt doesn't help with cooling very much. (In fact, IMO the V10 is full of fail) So saying it's 9 degrees worse than an average heatsink... hm.

$57 is a good price? The $40 CM V8 outperforms this thing in every test except for an idle test where they tied. So it has worse performance than a cheaper product. Good price?? If I had $57, I'd get a TRUE or Baram, which are both cheaper and will pretty much eat the CNPS10X. This is the same as every other Zalman product: Overpriced for the performance.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if Zalman has changed their fan controller any, but it looks like they haven't. If that is the case, it should be noted that high speed on the fan controller is not full speed for the fan. The only way to get full speed from the fan is to plug it directly into a 12v source.

The last Zalman fan controller I used only put out about 10.5v when set to the highest setting.
    WarEagleAU says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the look of the cooler, but Angelkiller is right, a xigmatek 1283 puts this thing to shame and is cheaper.
  7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Xigmatek does, but this is Zalmans take on the tower type coolers. Seen reviews for their whole line of 10x coolers in two magazines and really for the price, Noctua and TRUE out do it.
  8. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Now someone say me, why the hell did i buy Asus Triton 88? Yeas, it cools well, looks cool, you can hit a man hard with it if needed, but its loud and expensive... xD I have to run it at 60% so that i cant hear it :D
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I have a CNPS10X Extreme and it has a completely different fan controller with programmable settings. Not sure what the max voltage is. Also, I think this is a different, newer revision of the CNPS10X Quiet. I have the "better" Extreme model that I bought in August and it has nickel-plated copper heat pipes and base and I believe only 4 heat pipes.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I know the Extreme uses a different/new fan controller, but it looks like from the review that the Quiet uses the standard fan controller Zalman has been using for years since the CNPS7000 days. If that is the case, it won't allow the fan to run at full speed.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I believe that they still use the Fan Mate 2 for the "lower-end" stuff.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD