1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman CNPS9900 NT

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    acperience7 and 95Viper say thanks.
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    mehh seems to be alright, though seems expensive for the performance. Is the base actually flat or just a polished finish?:confused:
  3. inferKNOX

inferKNOX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Beautiful, but only worth it if you have immediate access Zalman once the fan packs up since it's proprietary.
    Also, that surrounding plastic shroud gotta get dusty pretty fast.

Darksaber / w1zzard / btarunr / anyone, please review the Prolimatech Megahalems.
    I've been dreaming about getting one forever now. :'(
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see a non tower fan design being used.
  5. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Get it, its worth it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    why are no tests done on an intel platform,to me AMD's are a cooler running chip..so if you really want to test the ability of the heatsink you would test on a P55 or X58
  7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    +1. There are so few reviews out there for 1156 or 1366. I'd like to see how these coolers fare on them. That would be a real bonus.:toast:
  8. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the reviewer would then have to test some other coolers on the same intel chip for comparison, so it would take a while longer.
  9. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lets just say, the reviewer took the pics, benched the cooler - noticed something missing? yes, guess who actually wrote the review - luckily I have had first hand experience with the cooler...

But gentlemen, fear not fear not...salvation is near in form of some juicy 1366 based cooler reviews ;)

cheers
    DS
  10. Darcmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    This looks like my kind of cpu cooler. temps look quite good but main reason is i can fit some nice
    performance ram in without the cooler blocking the ram slots off like alot of coolers out there.

Frustrates me that you can o/c your cpu like mad but you gotta stick with standard ram as performance jobbies wont fit under alot of oversize coolers. Maybe the mobo makers need to leave us more room also.
    MadMan007 says thanks.
  11. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    for some reason I think your results are skewed, either that or TPU recieved a garbage version of the V10;)
  12. MadMan007

Thanks Received:
    Or maybe the RAM makers can stop putting worthless and rediculously high heatspreaders on their sticks. Crazy heatspreaders are mostly just marketing b.s.
    simlariver and sneekypeet say thanks.
  13. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Amen! That would help buying for the "future"!:toast:
  14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    That surrounding plastic is for handling and shipping and is removed for actual use.

That's one reason and a good one, also, it clears my chipset heat sink fins. I have a closet full of good coolers that did not.

IMO, they are not worthless on quality ram that is bumped in speed and voltage. Why do you put heatsink on other chips? To reduce heat build up in the device to increase life and reliability. With a good airflow across my OCZ Flex, i can reduce their temps by a few degrees. Plus, they look good. And, I am speaking of heatsinks, not the pretty little covers that they call heat spreaders.

I have CNPS9900 LED and it is great, quiet and performs wonderfully.:)
  15. MadMan007

Thanks Received:
    A whole few degrees. Stunning! The temps clearly wouldn't drop as much with good airflow over simple heatspreaders or even bare chips. I do appreciate the design of some better heatsink systems like Corsair's DHX but I still say they are not necessary but are rather marketing hype, power draw for RAM has not been going up and yet the heatsinks have gotten bigger.
    simlariver says thanks.
  16. pjladyfox

pjladyfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't look like it performs any better than it's predecessor the 9700NT even down to the noise and thermal performance. Kind of disappointing actually but at least it means I can hang onto the 9700NT my hubby is running in his box for quite awhile longer.
  17. Mescalamba

Thanks Received:
    Not much usefull.. testing on AMD platform is bit useless for Intel useres, it works much better reverse (everything that cool down i7 to decent levels, will cool down any current CPU from AMD or Intel).

About Megahalems/Megashadow.. as for single-tower, its one of best you can get. Plus really user friendly install (reminds bit of Noctua system). Otherwise get that Noctua dual-tower monster.. its best currently.

Or wait a bit and see how Danamics is good..

I have Megashadow and Im ok with it.
  18. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Yes, 'tis stunning, when you can oc memory and not pull mem errors, 'cause of them few degrees.
  19. lism New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's a fault with one of the images, it saiz both idle while the second screen is at load temps

[​IMG]
  20. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I wish that this were around last August, as I would have picked it vs. my CNPS10X Extreme (which appears to suck in this review).
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. MadMan007

Thanks Received:
    So is this additional overclock relevant for very many actual real-world programs (the only type I can think of that's really memory-sensitive are ZIP programs) or just e-peen benchmarks like SPi, WPrime, Sandra, Everest, etc?

And did you test it in a scientific manner by comparing to identical sticks with lesser heatsinks , maybe by removing the heatsinks, to actually know how much of a difference it makes?
  22. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I missed it but what cpu is this actually cooling? By the stock speed I assume it's a 955.