1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman or Arctic Cooler

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by trt740, May 23, 2006.

1. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Wanted to know what you guys thought, plus let you guys benifit from my experience. I had a x850 pro flashed to a X850xt PE with all 16 pipes open running at 600/600 stable. A friend begged for it because he knew I was building a newer system with a board which could use both agp and pci express. Well I removed the original fan from the x850xt, now PE, and the temps on the card dropped from 60c at idle to 30c at idle and with a full load it never got over 70c even clocked at 600/600. This card was now a beast, but I sold it. I then bought a x1800gto for 169.00 after a 60 dollar rebate. It also was a great card, but after I purchased it I noticed a X1800xt on sale for $219 on new eggs site DOH!!!! . So Ebay here I come . I then had a major noise problem with the Sapphire card I bought (x1800xt). It looks alot like the Artic Silence I bought for the x850xt modded PE . The only difference is it sucked big time as a cooler, and when you overclocked the card it sounded like a jet engine. So I went to buy a new Arctic cooler, but now the card is designed to blow the hot air into your case , and against your motherboard, not outside to the rear like the prior model. I still trusted Arctic because they made a great cooler on my last card. Well I wasn't disappointed. It performed as well as the other Arctic cooler I bought until It stopped working. Arctic has terrible customer service and the six year warranty is worth nothing if you cannot get them to respond to your emails. So off I went and bought a new Zalman Cooler, a Zalman VF900. I was a little nervious because the ram cooling was only passive on the Zalman, where the Arctic Cooler covered the ram and cooled it. I then spend the extra ten dollars on the Zalman and wow!!! was I impressed at the quality of this cooler. It is as well built as any cpu cooler Ive seen and really cools as good or better than the Arctic Cooler. It lowered my Gpu temp about five degrees lower then the Arctic Cooler and appears second to none in design and build. The Arctic Cooler is a very good product, but take it from me Zalman can really build a VGA Cooler and Ive swtiched sides big time. What do you think? This is a hotly debated topic all over the internet. Give me your input on this topic. What do you use and why?

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    ...For a minute there I was going to say you answered your own question (Arctic vs. Zalman), but then I actually read your post :p. Awesome results on your X850XT PE :toast:. I don't have any of the new high-end cards, but I do say that if I was going to replace my X850XT heatsink, I'd be going with the ATISilencer5. Both the Zalman and the ATISilencer5 perform very well, it's just a personal preference. I suppose I don't have any GOOD reason to go for ATISilencer5, I just have had good experiences with the Silencer series, like the way they look, and love the general idea of the cooler. And yes I am a fanboy :laugh:.

3. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Silencer helps with case temps a lot... i'm also a silencer fanboy!! :D

4. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Though I have a good experience with my Zalman v700-CU (thanks to zerk reccomending it), I love it, silent, cools AMAZINGLY great, better clocks, also pretty easy installation..... All copepr version cant go rong. As far as Silencers I wouldnt know... Though I love my Zalman.

5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most people will say that the Arctic Cooling coolers are better than Zalman because they blow ot air out of the case, but the thing is, you should already have good airflow in your case and if you do, the Zalman shouldn't be a problem at all.

6. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arctic... I'm dissapointed in my vf700. ATI's stock x1900xtx cooler is just as good.

7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's because you have a VF700. If you have an X1k seires card, it's recommended that you get a VF900-Cu instead. but the VF700-Cu is great for X8xx series cards though, 33-35 idle, 50-52 load.

8. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    The new Arctics don't remove hot air from the case

The new Arctic Coolers for x1800/x1900 cards blows hot air on the motherboard. I loved the old blow it out the back of the case style, but I think for Crossfire and SLI they were too big so they changed them. The newer style Arctic I had worked great minus that feature. The Arctic Sliencer five I had on my X800xt PE really cooled alot better than the stock cooler. It made a giant difference in overclocking. Also fellas my new X1800Xt now seems not to run overclocked very well. The temps are very low however I can only get it to overclock stable at about 650 core by 790 ram. Im waiting on a new power supply because my old one blew during my new build. Im running it on a old Apex 300 watt psu. I wonder if that is the problem because tempature is not the cause. I have only 2 hardrives and a cd drive running . I unplugged my case lights, my floppy, temp display, a third hardrive, plus all non used port in the bios to save power, but it still won't overclock near what other have people achieved. If it doesn't go up when I get my new 600 watt power supply im gonna Rma this bad boy. Do you guys think its because of the weak psu.

9. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    we're talking about an x8x0 series card here, not the new ones for the x1x00 series. ;)

Silencer 5 rev.2 would be fine. The zalman VF700 would also be fine, but even with good airflow, it's gonna warm your case up a little.

10. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    We are not just talking about a x800 series

I was talking about x800/ x1800/ x1900 series cards . I was mainly comparing the new coolers that fit the x1800/1900 series card, and also Arctics change in designs from the Silencer models, and there lack of customer support. Thx for posting but plz read my original post infared.

11. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Chill out trt, we don't want to start a flame war with a moderator ;). We're talking about ALL the coolers from Arctic Cooling/Zalman, it makes the thread a little more interesting :D. Oh yeah and drade, the only reason I reccomended that Zalman was because Arctic Cooling didn't have a very good cooler to put on an Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :laugh:.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  12. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about

I am in no way insulting the moderator. Nor would I, he just read my post wrong thats all, and I intended to talk about both types of coolers. If I was being mean or angry I would have said so. So before you do the knight in shining armor thing please realize thats all I intended no slight I was not attacking him lol. Way to stir the pot and make something out of nothing.

13. drade

drade

Thanks Received:

AHHHH YOU SAID STIR THAT POT, my teacher always says "dont stir the pot":laugh: :laugh:

14. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    back to this fun topic

Thx to all who posted great thread, and to Zek whatever 5 brownie points for defending the moderator lol!!!!! Just kidding but couldn't resist.

15. sleepeeg3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arctic Cooler on the old series was a better design, since it exhausts the heat. I believe the reviews show the Accelero cools better for the new series, but it takes up alot more space and is worthless in a SFF case.

I know nothing about AC's support, but a 6 year warranty from a UK based company is worthless for anyone in the States. Frankly I could care less about a warranty on a $20-30 product.

16. M. Mellough New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love mine too but had to leave it on my old 6800 GT, it won't fit on the 7800 GS :(

17. markkleb Guest

I have just had this prob, I love the AC coolers but they hog a lot of room on cards.

There is no way to compare a Zalman to AC, since the Zalman is well built but its underneath the video card (no place for the hot air to go) Just around and around.

The best way for air to move is in the front and out the back and anything in the middle that swirls around messes that up. The only prob with the AC cooler is it hits the chipset cooler on most mobos now. Thats basically why I went to Water Cooling.

18. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Hey mark can I have your old air coolers? :). And my solution for the issue with the Zalmans (based on experiences with 6200 on passive cooling) is to have a PCI Slot Exhaust fan a little bit under the video card...works wonders. I was running UT2004 on Darth Flatulence off the network (no small feat :p), and my card stayed around 38*C. Thank you VGA Silencer Rev.3! :D.

19. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like my Artic, came as standeard on my card (see specs), it overclocks like a rocket (I can even squeeze a bit more than the specs) and NEVER goes above 68C at load....and like others have said, there is only one efficient way hot air can go.....and thats out the back of the case!

20. Juggernaut1987

Juggernaut1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Zalman VF700-Alcu LED on my X800XT (it was a X800Pro gnagna) and I must say its an awesome cooler. Its not true that the heat is stuck under your card.

What the Zalman does: The fan blows air onto the metal parts. But the thing is it slings out the air trough the long ends of the cooler. If you put your hand next to it, it feels like a Artic silencer blowing onto to your hand.
    [​IMG]

The zalman coolers dont get the hot air directly out of your case but that doesnt matter cause the air is not stuck under the card or anything. Lot s of people I know that have a Artic Silencer complain that they are hard to clean if dust gets stuck in the cooling ribs inside.

21. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    psh, all the arguments over zalman vs arctic cooling. I say forget it all. take your old AXP cooler and mount it to the card, then cut up an old heatsink for ramsinks and call it done.

22. Radon New Member

Thanks Received:
    WTF!? my arctic-cooling silencer worked great only my 9800pro needs ram cooling not gpu cooling. I bought an Zalman cooler with ram sinks and can't comlain. Both are great manufacturers and I think for brute gpu cooling go arctic for silent ram cooling go zalman and if you want to spend a lot of money combine them.

23. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a good point, they're a pain in the ass when you have to clean them... You have to take off the whole cooler to get to the screws to take the plastic cover off. The simple alternative is to get a compressor with a nozzle attachment, and just blow that through the back of the cooler (while the card is out of the pc ;)) The fan casing can also look horrible when it's filled with dust.

Simple solution to all dust related problems... get a filter on the intake fans :rolleyes:

24. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake was thinking of me :). My 120mm fan came with a really big dust filter, and the side fan has something similar to a dust filter and I modded it to run at 5 volts (okay, the wires that connect the fan to the molex connector fell out, and I took advantage of opportunity, same difference :p). So yeah I rarely have any dust to clean out. Darth Flatulence on the other hand...last time I checked gateway didn't have dust filters :laugh:. Can-of-air is your FRIEND :D.

25. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, i was using air from our large compressor... Unrestricted Air @ 150psi + a nozzle attachment, directed at the motherboard... A few of the capacitors broke off!!! Thankfully 1. It was the family DELL, 2. I'm good at soldiering, so stuck some new ones on.

~Its a mini adventure