1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman Readies SLC Series USB 3.0 Flash Drives

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 24, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Korean company Zalman added a new segment to its expanding lineup, that of USB 3.0 flash drives, with its new "SLC Series". As the name suggests these flash drives incorporate SLC (single-level cell) NAND flash memory. The drives are available in two capacity options, 16 GB (model: U3M16SLC) and 32 GB (model: U3M32SLC). Taking advantage of the USB 3.0 interface, the drives provide transfer rates of up to 155 MB/s reads, with up to 135 MB/s writes. Measuring 78 x 17 x 8.6 mm (WxDxH), the drives are built in conventional capped form-factor. Slated for an early-June release, the U3M16SLC is priced at 5,480 JPY (US $69), while the U3M32SLC goes for 8,980 JPY (US $113).

[​IMG]

Source: Hermitage Akihabara

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    nice prices for SLC tech

3. slim142

Thanks Received:
    I will never understand why companies keep pushing cap designs...

4. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Most of the drives I buy have caps - and that works just fine for me - If you don't care about the cap you can just throw it away anyway - boom now its capless...

My real wonder here is, WHAT ARE THE ACCESS TIMES LIKE ? transfer rates are great but if it still takes 700ms to create a new file entry - like so many other flash drives - it will STILL take 2 hours to copy 900mb of MOHAA...

W1zZ .. Benchmarx plz?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Which is less than ideal. I prefer the slide ones, although the Corsair Flash Voyager actually works.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I prefer it when I can fit another USB cable next to a flash drive. If it's too big to do this, then it's not a good design imho. I like to see SLC working its way into USB drives, but honestly you can't go wrong when a USB drive can read/write data just as fast as a regular rotational media hard drive, not to mention higher IOPS.