1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman ZM-DF12 Smart Fans Begin Selling

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 20, 2014.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Zalman's most advanced fan, the ZM-DF12, started selling. Built in the 25 mm-thick 120 mm form-factor, the fan features a 'dual-impeller' design, which works to increase air-flow, at lower speeds. The dual-impeller is basically two sets of blades spinning along a common motor. The motor features a nano-polymer bearing that has lower thermal deformation over time than common fluid-dynamic bearing types. The fan features a 'reversed' frame assembly. The frame holds the hub from behind, rather than the front. The back part of the motor hub hence doesn't spin along with the impeller. It instead features the fan's in-built controller, that lets you control speed in three steps - 800 RPM, 1,200 RPM, and 1,600 RPM. The fan takes input from a 3-pin connector. At its maximum speed, it pushes 63.76 CFM of air, with 33 dBA noise output.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I wonder why no one makes thicker fans with lower RPM. They could use larger blades and thus push more air at lower RPM = silence. Many cases could easily utilize them. I think i could even use them in my mini ATX case.

3. mr2009

mr2009

Thanks Received:
    max speed only churn out 64cfm and 33dba? didnt other brand have better cfm at much lower dba? i wonder if those small blade the one giving out the most noise...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Possibly higher static pressure, but then again, if they don't advertise it we can safely assume its not high.

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    just moving half of blades forward from standard fins design

6. CookieMonsta New Member

Thanks Received:
    I sometimes wonder this as well. 38mm thickness or even 50mm thick fans would also allow the usage of higher torque motors which would allow better static pressures.

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Meh, and yet the put more plastic bars in the way of air flow.

8. Behemot

Behemot New Member

Thanks Received:
    They do. Industry fans from quality manufacturers (Delta, AVC, Papst etc.) but they are usualy turbines so you need to drive the voltage down (or get PWM versions). Also be ready to pay fortune for them…

9. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    ever looked at a Silverstone air penetrator line? the AP have a lot on the back and yet they have a steady directed stream flow over 1m (not propaganda from their website, i tested it :D )ok it's not the same design and function :roll:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]