1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zero-Day Exploit for Apple QuickTime Posted

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jan 11, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    An Italian security researcher has posted a proof-of-concept exploit for a zero-day vulnerability in the most current version of Apple's QuickTime media software (7.3.1) which affects both Windows and Mac OS X. According to Luigi Auriemma the bug is a buffer-overflow which happens during the handling of the HTTP error message and its visualization in the LCD-like screen which contains info about the status of the connection. Buffer overflows can often be exploited by attackers to compromise the affected system. In this scenario, that's exactly what this bug can do. It can allow the attacker to take control the affected system. The vulnerability Auriemma has identified has no fix at the moment, so keep it in mind if you use the latest QuickTime on your system. Find out more about the exploit here.

Source: News! Yahoo
  2. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    :banghead::banghead:I HAAAAAAAAATE quicktime. I'd rather use Realplayer than Quicktime.
  3. peach1971

peach1971 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Picture is probably ok, but we're not allowed to link it. It's legality is questionable, so the admins here err on the side of caution. Trust me, I know first hand. lol.
    peach1971 says thanks.
  5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Hmph, I've been reading it only effects Windows? Bad source? Who knows.
  6. peach1971

peach1971 New Member

Thanks Received:
    `Encrypted` the link above.
    [​IMG]
    :roll::roll::roll:
  7. tomkaten

tomkaten

Thanks Received:
    Not to be mean here, but who needs Quicktime or Quicktime alternative on their PC's ? Mac it's another story, but my Quicktime has flown off a long time ago. The recurring "Qttask" process was driving me nuts. It's business as usual without it so...
  8. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu Some movies/trailers/clips are only available in .mov, hence the need for QuickTime Alternative. Trust me, I wouldn't want that junk on my PC either (it's a security nightmare), but sometimes I need to view certain videos which require that damned codec. :banghead:
  9. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i despise quicktime...