1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zero senses are made

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flash, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Right now I am just flabbergasted.

So I have a SSD in Sata 1, a HDD in Sata 2 and a DVD-RW in Sata 3.

Obviously my OS is on my SSD.

I disconnected the HDD from Sata 2 for some troubleshooting, and I get greeted by
    [​IMG]

This makes zero sense. I have my OS on my SSD, what does removing my storage HDD even matter?

During the POST screen, my SSD and DVD-RW appear as Sata 1 and Sata 3 connection
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    If you install windows 7 while having additional hard drives plugged in, the installation will spread OS files to the other HDDs that are connected. Its a well documented bug with Windows 7 and its not a very serious one so microsoft have never come out with a fix for it.

Just know that when it comes to installing W7 its best to unplug all the other hard drives and leave the one youre installing the OS to hooked up. this way the installer doesnt spread the files to the other hard drive.

There is no way to fix the problem apart from doing a clean install with the method i suggested
    GreiverBlade, Arjai and 95Viper say thanks.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its called learning a lesson. Do not install your OS with other drives connect. Your boot sector is on drive two. If you want to fix it you can do a repair with your windows disk. I haven't tried but MS says its possible. Or just leave the drives connected
  4. elemelek

elemelek

Thanks Received:
    Boot your instalation media, hit shift f10, and repair it.
    bcdboot x:\windows /s s:
    where x is the partition where windows is installed and s is the system(efi) partition.
    If system partition is on other disk and you have mbr formated disk you could set your windows partition to active using diskpart and rapair boot by : bcdboot x:\windows
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Actually, you can boot with the installation media, and tell it to do an automatic boot repair. 9 times out of 10 it will automatically fix the problem for you.

You can also use the bootrec command or the BCDBoot method that elemelek posted, but I can never remember those commands, so I just let it do it automatically.
    More than 25k PPD
  6. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    No, it is not obvious. I would install the OS to the SATA HDD and let the SSD for storing static backups (less usage, more life span).
  7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah that's the way most would go: hdd for OS and ssd for storage/backup....
    :rolleyes:

This issue happened to me years ago and it was an invaluable lesson learned. Back then I had no idea how to fix it and no idea how to find out how to fix it. :laugh:
    Vario and 95Viper say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Never trust in only one hardware for backup, 2 or more are recommended. If you have 2 or more storage devices, you should always store your "life data" on all of them.

Redundancy is the key. That's how I do it with my data.

Happy New Year!
  9. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm interested in this one as this seem to be the easiest. So just boot from the Win 7 DVD and chose repair while having only the SSD connected?

I have no experience regarding the other alternatives that involves the commands.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You can install Windows with any many drives in your machine as you want, just realize that the boot loader will get installed on whatever drive is first in the boot order in the BIOS. It's really as simple as that.

It makes perfect sense. You installed Windows 7 on the SSD, the HDD was the first drive in the boot order so it installed the boot loader to the HDD instead of the SSD. It doesn't prevent it from booting from the SSD, it's just not starting with the SSD. That's an issue with your own BIOS configuration before installing Windows. Fix the boot order and the install disk can re-install the boot loader in the right place without re-installing Windows (as others have already recommended.)

Huh? I think you're a little late there.
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yep, just boot from the Windows 7 DVD, on the first screen select you language and keyboard layout, on the second screen select "Repair Your Computer" in the bottom left.

It will search for Windows installation and should find the one on your SSD.

Click next and it should take you to a set of options. The first option will be "Startup Repair", select that.

It will automatically try to fix the start up issue. Basically, automatically running the commands listed earlier.

It will then have you restart to see if the fix worked. Don't get discouraged if it didn't work the first time, just do it again. I usually have to run it twice before it works, actually. I've had to run it 3 times before to get it to finally do everything need to fix this problem. If it doesn't work after the 3rd try though, you might be in trouble.

I think first time it runs it creates that 100MB "System Reserved" partition at the front of the drive that Win7 needs to store the bootloader. The second time it runs it actually creates the BCD Bootloader store. I could be wrong though, those are just guesses on what it is really doing. But in my experience this method works 99% of the time to cure Win7 not booting after removing a drive from the computer.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Flash, Arjai and rtwjunkie say thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  12. leeb2013

leeb2013

Thanks Received:
    eh, seriously? What information do you have that shows SSDs have such a short life that they should only be used for static backups?
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Worst idea ever.

Reads from the SSD will not decrease its life, and once windows is installed there are only writes from the OS when updates (usually very small) are installed. So a mechanical hard disk with years of data integrity for important things, and the SSD for performance and windows install.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Furthermore, why would anyone use an SSD, which is a huge RAID0 array, as a backup? That is basically the worst idea ever, and not using the SSD for your OS basically defeats the purpose of getting and SSD.
    More than 25k PPD
  15. Flash

Thanks Received:
    It looks like my SSD does not appear when I try to go for repair. What gives?

Attached Files:

16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Go into your BIOS and make sure it is listed, check the cable, and if there is a power light on it check that.

Are you sure you have the OS completely on the SSD?
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Yep listed in the BIOS and all working. I'm using it right now.

When I installed windows I selected Disk 0, which was my entire SSD, 232GB. And windows is installed on it.

The only difference is that I don't have the 100mb partition I remember having before. Just the 232GB SSD and my other HDD.

D drive has all my storage files and no new folders since my most recent windows 7 install, however, it does have a "Boot" folder which is a "hidden protected operating system file", like the volume storage information on both drives

Attached Files:

18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Can you select the "Use recovery tools" option and hit next?
    More than 25k PPD
  19. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but it will say "on device unknown". If I then hit startup repair, it will take 1 second and say it performed some repairs. But nothing changes
  20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    You might have to load your chip set drivers using the load drivers button.
    More than 25k PPD
  21. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately I do not know what they are, or what am I looking for. Where should I look for the chip drivers?
  22. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    You may need to go back in and mark the C: drive as an active partition.
    It is seeing the D: drive as the active drive.

Quote from MS "Mark a partition as active" page:
  23. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    man, good advice

nice boobs pic
  24. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    win 8.1 goes boot in 5seconds. i woul have cad/other heavy disc using apps on ssd
  25. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Can I take away the "active" from drive D? Right now both C and D are active. But I do see that drive D is also marked as "System". Probably that's the root of my problem