1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zii Not an Audio Processor, Something Much Bigger

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 3, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Late December last year, Creative started a teaser website for the company's "new direction", the Zii. Back then it was courteous enough to give us a clue about what it was about and how big a deal it was, with its rather bold tag-line "Everything you know is about to change". Today Creative dispatched emails to all those who registered for updates on the website, revealing a lot more about Zii, and we can tell from what's given, that Creative has embarked upon something big, which makes its digital audio product lineup look irrelevant to the matter.

The Zii, according to Creative, is inspired from nature's building block of life, the stem cell. A stem cell is a basic cellular unit found in multi-cellular organisms that holds the potential to divide and differentiate into the many different kinds of cells an life-forms have. Here's a revelation: Creative claims to have devised a stem cell-like silicon that can "grow and multiply into different solutions and eco-systems", it can be seen as something parallel to the process in which life functions, only that it's going to be silicon doing it. Creative goes on to add "With an investment that spans over 10 years, over a billion dollars and over 10,000 man-years, the world is poised to experience a breakthrough that will better lives beyond our imagination." Given the state the world economy is in, Creative states that the technology is recession-friendly and will in-turn unlock countless business opportunities based around the technology and its expansion. Creative will be throwing a lot more things out of the box at the upcoming CES event. The Matrix era of artificial life is beginning not to sound too much of an imagination.
  2. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    "With an investment that spans over 10 years, over a billion dollars and over 10,000 man-years, the world is poised to experience a breakthrough that will better lives beyond our imagination."
    They say all that, and they name it Zii.
    :roll::laugh::roll::laugh::roll::slap:

Seriously though, it sounds like the next generation of FPGA microchips, and those things are bloody powerful is implemented properly. I really want to know what this is now.
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Crazy, be cool to hear more as the news unravels on what this thing can actually do.
  4. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats the bottom line ?

Will this help the games and computer hardware industry ?

That's all I care about right now :D
  5. DBH New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing it makes use of biological transistors. They has been tinkering with this kinda tech a few years ago. Maybe something useful has been made out of it then?!
  6. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    How big can it be ?
  7. moto666 Guest

"How big can it be ?" - Said "RED" from Hellboy! :D
  8. R_1

Thanks Received:
    Is this some kind of media-processor with multipurpose application like GPGPU?
  9. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Cant wait to see what it can do.
  10. blaznee New Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing is for sure.. If it's a Creative Labs product it won't be Vista compatible :p..
  11. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it will become self-aware and start seeing humans as the enemy !
  12. MAXLD

MAXLD

Thanks Received:
    Zii? How original...
    Zii, Wii, Zen, Zune,... Looks like this is the "i" and "z" decade... :shadedshu

How about spending some of that money in competent engineers and proper drivers instead? Yeah, I guess that's something "beyond our imagination"... :laugh:

But I guess this is a good idea... for Creative. Invent something new, patent it and then "show me the money". Creative's reputation of wasting potential doesn't really give the highest expectations, and that's why I don't think this Zii hype worths that much.
  13. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    lol nice one!

Zii . . . Wii ? Could they have done better with the naming here?
  14. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    so... in a few years time we'll have speakers and cards that only work when they feel like it?? :confused:
  15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    possibly.
    Your hardware will have good days and bad days now.
    this is going to make benchmarking pretty interesting.
  16. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    They were gonna go with Zlaystation Zree or Zbox Z60, but that would of been stupid :p
  17. apheX?

apheX? New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm scared.

EDIT: Just thought, they called the company creative and they finally are being creative but the namme? They get a 1 yr old kid to name it? Bet that kid was just saying Wii but got mistaken for Zii.
    Baby: "I want a Wii"
    Parent: "Whats that? A Zii?, Your a genius!"
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Al Gore didn't invent it, so it can't be that great :laugh:
  19. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    It's either FPGA microchip type architecture, or larrabee type architecture, or indeed just one of those low powered cell processors like in the playstation.

Nothing new other than audio processing no longer requires descrete silicon and functionality can be modded via firmware update.

FAIL

Why fail? Because Creative will NEVER get their software properly debugged and they will NEVER increase features without the consumer paying TWICE. Just like that whole saga with the guy who made Audigy compatible on Vista. Remember?

All I can say is Creative are great at spin, and are great at shifting
    products to "consumers" in retail channels. Good for them. But for me... there are better products with better service/support.
  20. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    if that info is correct, what is going to happen is the same that happens to the quarians with the geth in mass effect :S:S:S
  21. bassmasta Guest

can someone help me find the RMA forms for this thing in advance? I want to be ready for the disappointment before it comes out.
  22. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    The silver lining for these names is that maybe we have seen the end of "extreme".
  23. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, is this a tease for ASUS to be scared of?
  24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its probably some multipurpose programmable APU.

we have programmable GPU's and network cards (the Killer NIC) so they're probably doing the same. look mah, EAX 7.0 with ZERO cpu usage! want more outputs? buy a new module, we'll do the work in 'software' oh look a new dolby standard is out, lets just give you all a softawre update (For $50 USD) that lets it work!

bah, they havent told us shit.
  25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it's silicon that can reproduce, and grow in a "nurtient medium", just like how cells do.