1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zip Loc bags harmful to computer parts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wazzledoozle, Feb 24, 2005.

1. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    My idiot friend keeps telling me that putting any computer part in a zip loc bag will kill it. I sold my friend a video card and put it inside of a ziploc for transporation fomr my house to school then to his house, and my other friend kept telling him how it wouldnt work becasue the ziploc bag would break it, and its pissing me off. Please reply with confirmation of how I was correct so I can show his LIES.
  2. ati.bob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Uh... I think Zip Loc bags are prone to static.. can't confirm it though...
  3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but it wouldnt be anywhere close enough static to harm anything. I kept all of my old SDRAM in one ziploc bags for about 6 months and they worked perfectly.
  4. ADV4NCED Guest

Most people seem to say that it will damage the parts but I've transported a gfx card in a plastic packet and no harm was done, so to be honest, I dont think things can get damaged that easily either.
  5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have a whole drawer of Anti-Static bags from various PC Parts. Only way to travel ;)
  6. absolutefunk New Member

Thanks Received:
    A couple years ago I transported a stripped down 486 in a suitcase from Canada. It was everything but the case, and I put the mobo/CPU/RAM, sb16, and HDs in ziploc bags. When I got home I reassembled the system and it worked fine.

-Brian
  7. bassmek2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I Have Cpus Mobos Vid Cards Laying All Over My Room On The Rug I Leave Them Were Ever And Do Whatever With Them There Are Also Some Packed In A Plastic Drawer And Nuthing Of Mine Has Ever Gotten Messed Up I Dont Think That They Are That Vulnarable To Staick As U Think
  8. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    It's not as if the Ziplock bags are bad per se, but they won't offer the same protection against a static surge as specially static proof designed bags do.
  9. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:

OMG, you really are lucky, electronic components and rugs definitely don't go well together, let alone plastic drawers, which are very prone to charge with static electricity, you really are lucky that none of your PC components have received any static damage :eek:
  10. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The main thing is that a zip loc is appropriate to transfer a video card a short distance?
  11. ADV4NCED Guest

As you can see above, most people seem to agree it is.
  12. Assimilator

Assimilator

Thanks Received:
    Putting it in ANY bag is better than not putting it into a bag at all. I leave near the sea and placed my olde TNT2 into an empty icecream container... when I opened the container a year later, the contacts were rusted :(.