For the third quarter, net revenue of $27.2 billion was down 8% year over year and down 7% when adjusted for the effects of currency.
"We once again achieved the financial performance we said we would, delivering $0.86 in non-GAAP diluted earnings per share, within our previously provided outlook of $0.84 to $0.87," said Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer. "I remain confident that we are making progress in our turnaround. We are already seeing significant improvement in our operations, we are successfully rebuilding our balance sheet, our cost structure is more closely aligned with our revenue and we have reignited innovation at HP, with a focus on the customer."
For the full year fiscal 2013, HP estimates non-GAAP diluted EPS to be in the range of $3.53 to $3.57 and GAAP diluted EPS to be in the range of $2.67 to $2.71, in line with HP's previously communicated outlook. Full year fiscal 2013 non-GAAP diluted EPS estimates exclude after-tax costs of approximately $0.86 per share, related to the amortization of purchased intangible assets, restructuring charges and acquisition-related charges.
HP generated $2.7 billion in cash flow from operations in the third quarter, down 6% from the prior-year period. Inventory ended the quarter at $6.5 billion, down 1 day year over year to 28 days. Accounts receivable ended the quarter at $14.3 billion, down 1 day year over year to 47 days. Accounts payable ended the quarter at $13.3 billion, up 7 days year over year to 57 days. HP's dividend payment of $0.1452 per share in the third quarter resulted in cash usage of $280 million. HP also utilized $3 million of cash during the quarter to repurchase approximately 168,000 shares of common stock in the open market. HP exited the quarter with $13.7 billion in gross cash.
Third quarter fiscal 2013 segment results
- Personal Systems revenue was down 11% year over year with a 3.0% operating margin. Commercial revenue decreased 3% and Consumer revenue declined 22%. Total units were down 8% with Desktops units down 9% and Notebooks units down 14%.
- Printing revenue declined 4% year over year with a 15.6% operating margin. Total hardware units were up 5% with Commercial hardware units up 12% and Consumer hardware units up 2%. Supplies revenue was down 4%.
- Enterprise Group revenue declined 9% year over year with a 15.2% operating margin. Networking revenue was flat, Industry Standard Servers revenue was down 11%, Business Critical Systems revenue was down 26%, Storage revenue was down 10% and Technology Services revenue was down 7%.
- Enterprise Services revenue declined 9% year over year with a 3.3% operating margin. Application and Business Services revenue was down 11% and Infrastructure Technology Outsourcing revenue declined 7%.
- Software revenue was up 1% year over year with a 20.5% operating margin. Support revenue was up 4%, license revenue was flat, professional services revenue was down 11% and SaaS revenue was up 4%.
- HP Financial Services revenue was down 6% year over year with a 4% decrease in net portfolio assets and a 9% decrease in financing volume. The business delivered an operating margin of 11.3%.