• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Safe to replace keycaps with new custom ones?

System Name my system
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Rog strix b550 gaming wifi II
Cooling noctua nh-u12s se-am4
Memory corsair vengeance 32gb (2x16) 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8g (planning to upgrade to an asus TUF 4070 TI super soon)
Storage 1x 240gb kingston ssd (win) 1x500gb kingston m.2 1x1tb 870 evo ssd 2x1tb hdd (storage)
Display(s) gigabyte aorus cv27f
Case Sharkoon Rebel c50 RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative soundblaster x-ae5 plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 ATX 3.0
Mouse Logitech g502x
Keyboard Microsoft ernomic buisness
VR HMD none
Software win 11 64 bit home
Benchmark Scores To be tested, so none yet
Hey all,

Today i ordered the perixx periboard 835:

perix.jpg

But i was wondering about something.

As you can see, the 6, T, G, B and 7, Y, H and N keys do have a strange outlining at the side where the isle is, so the key itself should type feel like a normal key.

However, i myself am used to the microsoft ergnomic keyboard:

RE3Cwxh.png

As you can see, this keyboard has bigger keys at said postions.

So is it safe to remove said keys from the periboard one, and then order online some custom keycaps for mechanical keyboards, and replace them?

I dont think i can use the keys from the microsoft keyboard, as the microsoft one is a membrane one. But ofcourse, if i could use them still, then if someone knows that, i would very much like to hear wether or not that is possible.

And also, to replace the keycaps (if possible ofcourse), should i keep in mind which switches there are behind the keycap? I mean, in this case they are from a brand called Kailh's and the switches itself is clicky blue.

But ofcourse i dont know about all of this, so hence this question.

Thanks again for helping me out, like this forum have done a couple of times now! So also a shoutout in general for the friendlyness of this forum!

Greetings from Martijn

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
With two different brands (1) I would not assume the caps mount the same and (2) on the new on, they are designed so the force from your fingers is centered over the switch. Changing caps might move that downward force so it becomes a sideways force. That would create uneven wear on the switch.

IMO, give your new keyboard time to get used to it. I am sure it will not take long at all - especially if you are a touch typist (you don't watch your fingers).

System Name my system
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8g (planning to upgrade to an asus TUF 4070 TI super soon)
Storage 1x 240gb kingston ssd (win) 1x500gb kingston m.2 1x1tb 870 evo ssd 2x1tb hdd (storage)
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
With two different brands (1) I would not assume the caps mount the same and (2) on the new on, they are designed so the force from your fingers is centered over the switch. Changing caps might move that downward force so it becomes a sideways force. That would create uneven wear on the switch.

IMO, give your new keyboard time to get used to it. I am sure it will not take long at all - especially if you are a touch typist (you don't watch your fingers).
Indeed, havent thought about the design at all. So thanks for pointing that out!

I indeed dont watch myself typing, so indeed, gotta get used to it then.
But maybe, i could contact perixx to see if they can send me some keycap replacers. But if not, then its still an inmense upgrade coming from membrane to mechanical, and ofcourse the added rgb :)

Thanks for your reply though!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, as for the RGB, I am not a fan. I don't want distractions. That's why I want my computer case to sit quietly and discreetly off to the side and NOT draw attention to itself with noise or fancy lighting. So I feel the same with my keyboards and mice. It is, after all, what's happening on my monitors that's important - at least to me.

As for your keys, I fail to understand why you even bought it, especially at that pretty penny price, if you didn't like the keys before you even bought it. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

Frankly, since you are a touch typist, your fingers are already and almost instantly going to know where to go. So it seems to me the biggest obstacle to you fully enjoying this keyboard is you! That is, you being in your own way.

System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
Well, as for the RGB, I am not a fan. I don't want distractions. That's why I want my computer case to sit quietly and discreetly off to the side and NOT draw attention to itself with noise or fancy lighting. So I feel the same with my keyboards and mice. It is, after all, what's happening on my monitors that's important - at least to me.
Hehe, I do :love: rgb myself :) So thats why i wanted to go for a new keyboard as well.

As for your keys, I fail to understand why you even bought it, especially at that pretty penny price, if you didn't like the keys before you even bought it. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

Erm in theory you are right. But i needed to replace my old keyboard anyway, since sometimes some buttons are not registering that well. It happens only a few times, but still its annoying. And since i always dreamt of a keyboard that is this design, so split in the middle but not physically split (like many ergo keyboards are) and that "have" rgb on it, I decided it was the time to upgrade.

But your right about that i maybe shouldntve bought it. But i did, cause i have the feeling i might get adjusted over time, on the feeling. Before my current keyboard, i had a logitech ergonomic one, and before that i had just a normal keyboard, and on all i got used to, quite soon. So maybe it was a bit of a worry too much on forehand, but still I'm glad that i bought this new one, cause it has rgb, is the layout that i want, and is mechanical. And honestly, i will get used to it sooner than later i think. But i only wanted to know, "if" there is the possibillity to replace the keycaps, cause i heard that is doable with some keyboards.
But i do realize that if they dont feel right straight away, i might ask perixx to send me replacements, and otherwise i will just get used to it over time. Its a matter of time eventually, but i have trust in it haha.

Frankly, since you are a touch typist, your fingers are already and almost instantly going to know where to go. So it seems to me the biggest obstacle to you fully enjoying this keyboard is you! That is, you being in your own way.

And here you just said basicly, what i said in the above paragraph, but then much shorter. So yes, i will enjoy my keyboard. Really looking out for tuesday when it gets delivered!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But i only wanted to know, "if" there is the possibillity to replace the keycaps, cause i heard that is doable with some keyboards.
Well, it certainly is possible with many keyboards. But the replacement keys are designed for that keyboard. With no industry standard on how the caps mount, you just cannot count on them being interchangeable.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
That thing uses Kailh low profile switches, from what I understand. So in theory any caps that fit those will work. Issue is, the market for replacement LP caps is slim, to put it mildly. Most of it is focused on full height. So that’s one. The second issue is the sizing - you’d have to be sure that the replacement caps physically fit in that space and are not blocked by other keys.
In short, it’s possible, but you’d have to do a lot of research and potential returns. Such niche non-standard keebs are usually a pain to modify and/or rebuild, unfortunately.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
I'd personally use the money you'd spend on custom keys to get a normal keyboard, what is that abomination.

System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
Hey all.

The keyboard got delivered today already instead of tuesday.
And guess what? this is by far for now the best keyboard i ever owned.
The strange keys in the center of the isle are no big deal at all, as like @Bill_Bright said, im a touch typist.

Only thing i gotta adjust a tiny bit too, is at the right side of the keyboard where the letters are. F.e, if i have to type words with lots of characters there, i sometimes make mistakes.
As for the auto placement of my fingers. They indeed go automaticly to where they are supposed to go, so i rarely hit the other parts of the keys, like at the keys in the center near the isle.

For the rest, this is indeed a low profile keyboard, but i :love: it! Seemingly, that comfort curve was also quite low profile it seems, or at least, it feels that the keys of this keyboard dont travel that much less compared to the microsoft ergonmic keyboard.

I have written today a chapter in my second book, that im writing (in dutch tho) and that went amazingly well!
As for gaming, i already tried it out too, in horizon forbidden west, and that went also great.

Only nuisance is the wrist rest. Compared to the microsoft ergonomic keyboard, this one is quite small, and quite hard. The ergonomic one, had a softer wrist rest, but hey. Who am i to complain i think.

This keyboard, the periboard, is for now well worth my money!

And btw, @ShiBDiB Why is this an abomination? Is it cause you dont like split keyboards at all?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Some people just like to criticize other people's choices. Don't worry about what other people think ESPECIALLY when it comes to the looks of something and other personal preferences specific to HIDs (human interface devices).

And to that, the problem with HIDs like mice and keyboards, is everyone has unique hands. What feels great in my hand or at the end of my fingertips may feel uncomfortable, awkward or even painful to you.

As for looks, that is 100% subjective and what another thinks of the looks is 100% immaterial.

What matters here is how the keyboard feels to you and you have clearly indicated that in less than one day, you have decided you like it very much - the best you ever owned. Hopefully, you will still feel that in over time.

As far as the right-side letters, I have no doubts it will take very little time for "muscle memory" to get trained and auto-correct your fingers. You will be typing full speed ahead very soon.

It would be nice for others reading and future readers if you come back with an update in 6 months or so and tell us how you feel the keyboard is holding up. The problem with reviews - especially user reviews - is they rarely ever report how the product has held up over time. They only report on how the product is when brand new. It would be good to know if all the keys still feel the same, if any of the printed letters have worn off, or even if your RGB lighting is still working correctly.