• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 and Gigabyte 299x wu8

rudolf.horak

My windows ultimate x64 was working fine then it started BSOD with a 7b stop. I have 2 identical copies and created a 3rd from backup.

I can take any of the 3 drives and plug them onto an ASUS board they all work fine..finds new hardware and runs fine..
A fresh bare win 7 created in the Asus blue screens too.

.Windows 10 works fine in the 299x

Is there some bios swtting or some known problem driver thst would cause that like it was in win Xp.

What could be the issue that ? Any suggestions on bios settings or drivers thst could be causing this?

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Sounds like AHCI things.
Check + swap around the AHCI/ATA mode in BIOS for your SATA boot drive.

Also, check/replace the SATA cable
(I know that shouldn't be a cause, I've had it happen more times than I'd care to admit. Inclu. one factory-sealed Gateway AIO PC)

If not SATA, I'd suspect a driver issue w/ the NVMe config. Win7 *can* fully support NVME drives, but can have issues if not configured correctly/in the right order.
Also, IIRC the early implementation of Secure Boot needs to be enabled. You cannot have CSM enabled in UEFI (and I've had legacy AICs 'auto' enable CSM before)

rudolf.horak

On the AHCI I have a choice between AHCI and Intel something.

The SATA cable can't be it because when I plug in the WIn 10 drive same slot it works

The drive is a physical drive.. not sure the NVME config is but like I said it ran before all of a sudden something changed.. I was guessing a bios setting but?

Not sure IIRC is but secure boot is disabled I will look at CSM in UFI.. I have tried legacy and UFI

In safe mode it stops on classpnp.sys before BSOD

My windows ultimate x64 was working fine then it started BSOD with a 7b stop. I have 2 identical copies and created a 3rd from backup.

I can take any of the 3 drives and plug them onto an ASUS board they all work fine..finds new hardware and runs fine..
A fresh bare win 7 created in the Asus blue screens too.

.Windows 10 works fine in the 299x

Is there some bios swtting or some known problem driver thst would cause that like it was in win Xp.

What could be the issue that ? Any suggestions on bios settings or drivers thst could be causing this?
While Windows 7 isn't officially supported, it will work as long as the USB3.0 and NVMe drivers are slipstreamed into the ISO. Secureboot and TPM must be disabled. Legacy mode everything. This only way I was able to get Win7 on my X299 system.

rudolf.horak

Yap you would think so but, this is what is happening. Is there a way to figure out if a corrupted driver or a registry setting is causing this problem? I am really hoping this forum can help me find the answer. NVME is the SSD that attaches to the motherboard right? Secure book it disabled I am not familiar with TPM or remember seeing it. The board has a legacy option or UFI but no SATA.

The drives I am running are the regular SATA mechanical drives. When I put in my Windows 10 it works fine. I am really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Remember that all 3 drives run fine on the I7 MSI board, (where it never ran before) it just redetects the hardware and is good to go. When I made a fresh windows 7 install on the MSI board and moved it to the 299X it too blue screened with the exact same error as the previous drives.

rudolf.horak

Ok, I did some research on my issue and here is where I need some help. I found you switch over to AHCI ( I had to since this board does not have IDE or SATA option), it will generate a 7b fault. This is simular to WinXp when you moved it to another machine you had to delete the had disk controller and have windows find it again in the new computer. I found several procedures where you edit the registry \Services\PCiide and \masahci or lastorV values. I found the masahci but mine did not have the values listed. Does anyone know more about this? Is there another controller that could be doing this?

rudolf.horak

I cannot find the two valuse masahci or lastor V that the trouble shooting refers to. It says if you change to AHCI it will blue screen. So I know what i causing my problem but so far the comunity on here has been quet

rudolf.horak

I am not sure what you would like to see. It's BSOD 7b. Other forums maybie even this one says if you switch out of the IDE or SATA mode to AHCI you will get a 7b error. Unfortunetly the board only offers AHCI and some Intel thing. The instructions are to go into the registry and you will find eather the masahci or lastorV under services. It tells you to change the number in those values. Some procedures also tell you to change the pciide value, I did that because that key was there. Could the problem be another key not listed. You can google the windows 7 changing to AHCI articles.

I mean the BIOS screens. There is a setting you might be missing or might be misconfigured.

The reason I say this is that I had no issues installing Windows 7 on either of my X299 boards.

Last edited:

rudolf.horak

Ok let me get some pics of the main screens or something specific that you want to see? The main issue is that the board does not have SATA/IDE it only has AHCI. If I install a fresh copy on that computer it will work. It will blue screen on the test computer. If I take the windows drive that I have and put it in the test comptuer where it has never been it runs fine. If I create a windows installation on the test computer it will blue screen on the problem computer. I am thinking I need to just delete something in the registry. Msg boards talk about masachi and lastorV but I don't have those. I do have the PCIIDE one. I have been looking at posts that talk about when you change SATA/IDe setting to AHCI it WILL blue screen with 7b. I will get the pictures on here tomorrow. Man if we can figure this out it will be awesome.

rudolf.horak

Here is the bios Lexluthermiester. I hope we can get this going. Thanks in advance. When this boots it goes into 7b BSOD. The drive I am working with is P6. There is another drive on the computer that ran a Win10 I accidently deleted the partition so the NV drive is empty

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 24
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 29
Here is the bios Lexluthermiester. I hope we can get this going. Thanks in advance. When this boots it goes into 7b BSOD. The drive I am working with is P6. There is another drive on the computer that ran a Win10 I accidently deleted the partition so the NV drive is empty
Ok, first things first, go to the link below and download the manual;
Open the manual.
On page 56, Section 2-5 is shown the "BIOS" screen options.
On page 57 is shown "CSM Support" option;
Set to disable.
On page 58 is shown "Storage Boot Option Control" option;
Set to Legacy.
Also on Page 58 is shown "Secure Boot" option;
Set to disable.

Now you can boot from your Windows 7 ISO(USB or DVD) and install Windows 7. Install should go seamlessly at that point. Make sure you have your mouse & keyboard plugged into the USB2 ports above the PS2 port on the board IO. Using the USB3 ports could render them in operable for the Windows 7 Installer.

rudolf.horak

I forgot to mention mine is a Gigabyte board. CSM takes out my SATA drives. Where is the storage Boot Option? Remember I am wanting to fix my current windows 7 installation without having to re-install everything. That other drive that is in there is blank. I have 3 copies of my windows hard disks with all of my data. I don't want to install a fresh copy I want to fix the current installation ( one of my 3 copies) This motherboard does not have SATA setting only AHCI and some intel thing

I forgot to mention mine is a Gigabyte board.
Of course, it was in the screenshots and that's how I looked up the manual.

I forgot to mention mine is a Gigabyte board. CSM takes out my SATA drives.
Disabling CSM should not also disable the SATA controller. I've worked on this board before, if you follow the instructions, you should be fine. This is the best I can do without getting hands on.

I don't want to install a fresh copy I want to fix the current installation
That might not be possible, you should face that possibility.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
Boot WinPE and add/install the driver at setup.

rudolf.horak

There is a thought. I have Hiren's boot disk and other live disks where I can access my instalation disk. I was thinking that it was crashing because it was clashing but it may be missing something. Here is the weird part.

1. I can take a the working disk from the CURRENT computer, and put it in the TEST computer where it has never been and it finds the drivers and runs fine.
2. If I take that same disk and move it from TEST computer to CURRENT computer it crashes with 7b.

1. If I create a windows 7 instalation on the TEST computer it crashes with BSOD 7b on the TEST computer
2. If I create windows 7 installation on the CURRENT computer it runs fine but will not boot on the TEST computer.

Various posts state if you change the SATA/IDE to AHCI it will not boot and will crash BSOD
The problem is that I do not have the registry \Services\PCiide and \masahci or lastorV values in my registry. These are the ones that I am supposed to set to 0

System Name DevKit
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
I've been messing with this stuff for 20 years and got so lazy with it that I made a hive loader for each Windows installation from WinPE where I run a Regload.cmd at the drive root and it looks like this:
Code:
echo Opening Hives...
REG LOAD HKLM\COMP "Windows\System32\Config\COMPONENTS" > NUL
REM LOAD HKLM\DEF "Windows\System32\Config\DEFAULT" > NUL
REG LOAD HKLM\DRV "Windows\System32\Config\DRIVERS" > NUL
REG LOAD HKLM\SOF "Windows\System32\Config\SOFTWARE" > NUL
REG LOAD HKLM\SYS "Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM" > NUL
regedit
echo Closing Hives...
REG UNLOAD HKLM\COMP > NUL
REM UNLOAD HKLM\DEF > NUL
REG UNLOAD HKLM\DRV > NUL
REG UNLOAD HKLM\SOF > NUL
REG UNLOAD HKLM\SYS > NUL

I still poke around in SYS/ControlSet001/Services to delete some registry loaded drivers. I absolutely HAVE to do that when installing Win7/8/10/2016 on the eMachines because Windows tries to bundle the junk nForce sata controller that forces a kernel panic after the 24hr16min mark like clockwork. I don't have the ability to switch drivers in Nanoserver or Server Core so this is how I caveman it. If you have some junk sata controller like that, try setting it to PCI IDE and make sure the offending driver is gone.

rudolf.horak

Very interesting, what does this do? My issue is that I don't want to re-install everything but obviously something in windows is causing the BSOD 7d stop. I remember 98 had ENUM key if you deleted that it would find all your hardware and pressed on. Windows XP had some controller issue to. If you were moving hard disks from one to another you had to delete that controller. I am guessing its something like that here. I think you know what I am trying to accomplish. Any help is welcome

System Name DevKit
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
What do you mean what does it do?
The hive loader? Gives you read/write access to the system hives without having to deal with the permissions of Windows Trusted Installer or other modern nuisance accounts that are locking the data.
For me it's how to burn new software packages into WinPE and Nanoserver when creating a new distribution.

Manually deleting system driver keys? 90% of the time it prevents the driver from loading (unless it's an actual boot critical driver). It can be a little dangerous but that's kind of the design needed when problem drivers get baked into the Windows image. Use best discretion, I'm a rabbit.

rudolf.horak

So, this should work for my case when I move a hard disk from one computer to another or only when installing an image on a new computer? I am just understanding where this script goes so that it works?

This may be what I need, I have been looking for something to dump the hardware to force to redetect simular to the problematic roll up in Win 7

I understand that once it is in you can then boot the normal computer and it will find all it's hardware.

So, this should work for my case when I move a hard disk from one computer to another or only when installing an image on a new computer?
As a general rule, moving an install of Windows on a drive from one system to another can often be a roll of the dice.

This may be what I need, I have been looking for something to dump the hardware to force to redetect simular to the problematic roll up in Win 7

I understand that once it is in you can then boot the normal computer and it will find all it's hardware.
You're trying to do something many of us wish were a simple process. Sadly it is not. There is no magic wand process to make Windows 7 rejigger itself for a new system. Windows 10 & 11 can both do this, but not 7.

Your plan of action need to take one of several courses.
A. Install a new default drive into the X299 system, install 7 fresh to it and then connect the existing drive to the system and copy your needed files over.
B. Make a backup of your critical data on that existing drive and then attempt a repair install on it in the x299 system.
C. Make an image of the drive to another system/drive and then attempt a repair install.
D. Install the drive back into it's original system and use Windows 10 or 11 on the X299 system.