• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xonotic the-big-keybench demo results

Result with Clear Linux.

one-second fps avg: 728

Result with OpenBSD.

one-second fps avg: 468

antialiasing: 4x
anisotropy: 16x
preset: Ultra quality

Hardware: Intel 12600KF (stock) -- Kingston 6200 MHz CL36 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

What I find interesting is that I feel the mouse has less input lag on OpenBSD than on Clear Linux.
However, it's just a feeling I have, I don't know how to measure input lag of the mouse in a game.

You can find Xonotic on this page: https://xonotic.org/
Please include your specific hardware and apply the same graphics settings before doing the test.

The screen resolution I am using is 1080p.
For Clear Linux I use i3-wm and on OpenBSD I use bspwm.

If you would be interested in dated results for this test:

one-second fps avg: 782

With the same graphics settings and hardware, this is the result I get via Alpine Linux and river wm.

It is a performance difference of 7.42% compared to Clear Linux, which is quite a lot actually.

one-second fps avg: 840

Out of interest, I also tested with the following settings:

preset: Low quality

one-second fps avg: 1074

It has become about 7.5% faster with the same settings and on the same operating system and hardware that I used before.
And the game 0 A.D. has become slightly slower.
It may be that a kernel or GPU firmware update is causing the performance differences.

But the most obvious explanation is that sway wm performs differently than river wm.
With window managers it is always relatively unknown which one has the highest performance for gaming.
No one has done any recent testing with a minimum of 100 games to see which wm performs the highest.

I think sway wm and river wm are two high performance options that both usually perform very well.
An advantage of Linux is that you have many of these types of high performance windows managers, programmed in very different languages.
Xmonad is programmed in Haskell. StumpWM is programmed in Lisp. sway wm is programmed in C. river wm is programmed in Zig.

Many gamers only have two or three games that they play really frequently.
On Linux, you can easily test which WM gives you the highest performance for the two or three games you play the most.

Hardware: Intel 12600KF (stock) -- Kingston 6200 MHz CL36 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB
Software: Alpine Linux -- sway wm -- open source GPU driver -- Xonotic latest Flatpak version

one-second fps avg: 864

Software: Alpine Linux, bspwm (X window system), Mesa open-source driver

This result is directly comparable to the result from my first post. I'm using bspwm without a compositor.

bspwm without a compositor in combination with Alpine Linux gives excellent performance in this title.
I also tested bspwm + picom (with the default settings of picom) but this seems to lower the FPS slightly for Xonotic.

Update: in a previous post I had mentioned that OpenBSD achieves 468 fps in this game.

Meanwhile, OpenBSD 7.5 has been released with improved drivers for the latest AMD GPU generation.

The latest version of OpenBSD 7.5 scores around 640 fps.
And it seems that the AMD RX 7000 generation is already achieving acceptable gaming performance in OpenBSD.

By comparison, most Linux systems score around 7xx fps in this game on these settings.
OpenBSD 7.5 is not that far from standard Linux performance in Xonotic right now.