Sunday, August 16th 2009

ATI ''Evergreen'' Promises You Won't Believe Your Eyes

All bets are off, AMD's DirectX 11 compliant GPUs are on course to compliment the commercial launch of Microsoft Windows 7, with enough of a head-start to allow buyers to have DirectX 11 hardware by the time they have the new OS. Codenamed "Evergreen", AMD's new family of graphics processors are slated for September 10, that's 25 days from now.

The company further carried out demos of its upcoming hardware to sections of the media in private, at their suite in the same hotel in which Quakecon 2009 is being hosted at. Behind the covered side-panel of the Lian-Li is a working sample, which AMD refused to let being pictured. Legit Reviews sneaked around the case to take a shot of its panel nevertheless.

AMD further demonstrated over six new technology demonstrations including Parallax Occlusion Mapping, Detailed Tessellation, and High-Definition Ambient Occlusion, all of which will be some of the key ingredients of DirectX 11, and in all of which, AMD's hardware is churning out high frame-rates at 2560x1600 pixel resolution.

Sources: Legit Reviews, Techpulse360
Add your own comment

153 Comments on ATI ''Evergreen'' Promises You Won't Believe Your Eyes

#1
AltecV1
it is funny how Nvidia just throw money away when they bought Ageia:laugh:
Posted on Reply
#2
to6ko91
soryuuha said:
GPU-PhysX ain't available for AMD/ATI,


and most likely OpenCL+DX11 will shove PhysX away..
gpu-pysix is only on nvidia cards ... but I thought dedicated physix is always good no mather of the kind :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#3
trt740
Any performance numbers on these new cards? I wonder how it will stack up against my 295 gtx. Also Dx11 is going to take a while to be truly utilized remember how long DX10 took and it's only beginning to take hold now.
Posted on Reply
#4
a_ump
trt740 said:
Any performance numbers on these new cards? I wonder how it will stack up against my 295 gtx. Also Dx11 is going to take a while to be truly utilized remember how long DX10 took and it's only beginning to take hold now.
nope :(, sadly that's what i thought this thread was gonna show a lil when i read the title. no performance numbers till sept 10th supposedly.
Posted on Reply
#5
tkpenalty
From DX9 to 10 there wasnt really much brought to the table, because DX9 could emulate what 10 could do anyway, or look similar. Hence why barely any companies produced DX10 titles. DX10.1 however brought some changes such as very efficient anti aliasing, and DX11 is again focused on improving performance.

That occlusion mapping thing however does one thing which DX10 cant; ensure that every object is affected by light within a designated environment in a realistic manner. Tesselation is another thing which will be significant. It means no more imperfections or squareness in round objects, such as countours of a human face and body or the bodywork of cars, etc. '

For these reasons i see DX11 being adapted very quickly.


I'm getting some feeling that Nvidia will most likely screw up the tesselation engine, or have one thats inferior to AMD's since AMD has more experience in this field.
Posted on Reply
#6
EarlZ
Looking at the so called rumored specs, the performance numbers are good and some are even double than the 4870X2's combined specs. Hopefully a single 5870 can perform 5-10% better than a 4870X2 else its a moot point.
Posted on Reply
#8
soryuuha
to6ko91 said:
gpu-pysix is only on nvidia cards ... but I thought dedicated physix is always good no mather of the kind :rolleyes:
If you find any of latest Nvidia PhysX PPU dedicated card(not the old Ageia PPU card) that works with AMD/ATI Radeon card , please inform me, would love to buy it.
Posted on Reply
#9
Mussels
Moderprator
since the ageia PPU cards have terrible driver support now that nvidia bought them, and you cant run an nvidia card in the same system as an ATI for Physx in most situations, physx is dying. too many people are getting burned with it, so they're avoiding it.

Game devs wont make games that use physx fully, because then ATI users (and people with older Nvidia cards) cant play the game and it would lose much of its market who would otherwise play the game
Posted on Reply
#10
newconroer
TheMailMan78 said:
What depresses me about all this is the fact not one of these GPUs will be utilized to its full potential. Why? Because every damn game coming out on the market by a major developer is in fact cross platform. As we all know a game is only as good as its weakest platform. In our case is the 360/PS3.

You guys that just bought a 4870x2 I would suggest you keep them. Its going to be years before they are strained.
Depends on what you mean by "strained." It's true that in most applications, the GPU isn't being used 100%, or even 80%, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable of performing better when under such stress. It's primarily why they release new cards with simple core revisions and faster memory; as opposed to new architecture.

The problem is that as long as the data processing between CPU>RAM>GPU/CPU etc. remains the same, then no cards will reach their potential.


In a way you're right, a new GPU isn't going to stop dipping framerates by design, rather it will reduce dipping framerates by pure horsepower.
Posted on Reply
#11
H82LUZ73
Bjorn_Of_Iceland said:
ima smells plagued drivers
LOL this is a fan of Nvidia,I guess you have not even run the ATI card or driver since when....Maybe the 9700 pro...I can say for most guys that run both cards and just ATI ,The cat drivers are up there with Force ware my friend.

I bought my 4870`s so would skip the 5870 release seems i was right,Can not wait for Sept.12 to see performance numbers and such.
Posted on Reply
#12
Mussels
Moderprator
H82LUZ73 said:
LOL this is a fan of Nvidia,I guess you have not even run the ATI card or driver since when....Maybe the 9700 pro...I can say for most guys that run both cards and just ATI ,The cat drivers are up there with Force ware my friend.

I bought my 4870`s so would skip the 5870 release seems i was right,Can not wait for Sept.12 to see performance numbers and such.
i'm going to wait for the '5770' or its equivalent - something with better power efficiency, around the time DX11 games start to rock out.
Posted on Reply
#13
Kantastic
I feel like we're awaiting the birth of a baby. I've never gotten so excited over a hunk of metal... AND I LIKE IT!
Posted on Reply
#14
mdm-adph
tkpenalty said:
I'm getting some feeling that Nvidia will most likely screw up the tesselation engine, or have one thats inferior to AMD's since AMD has more experience in this field.
...which will in the end hold everyone back, since developers won't adapt tesselation if nVidia isn't using it correctly. Kinda like how advanced web technologies that have been around for years (like SVG and native web video) haven't been adopted because Internet Explorer sucks ass.

Which is why I'm not bothering upgrading right now. :shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#15
Valdez
erocker said:
PhysX will most likely go away with DX11. I think that is the point.
...or nvidia is going to port physx from cuda to opencl... which means hw physx for every card on the market.
Posted on Reply
#16
a_ump
i have to say i'd be really pissed if devs didn't fully utilize dx11 because nvidia can't cope. I'm not saying nvidia will fail with dx11 like they did dx10, but just a lil rage flare at the thought haha. I'm interested to see HD 5870 performance myself and will probly purchase one if its only $300 or so. Not because of Dx11 compatibility, i could care less bout that for at least another year. but because it's obviously going to provide better performance in current dx10 titles. want 2 c benchies!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on Reply
#17
enzolt
a_ump said:
i have to say i'd be really pissed if devs didn't fully utilize dx11 because nvidia can't cope. I'm not saying nvidia will fail with dx11 like they did dx10, but just a lil rage flare at the thought haha. I'm interested to see HD 5870 performance myself and will probly purchase one if its only $300 or so. Not because of Dx11 compatibility, i could care less bout that for at least another year. but because it's obviously going to provide better performance in current dx10 titles. want 2 c benchies!!!!!!!!!!
nvidia is already doing dx10.1 and dx11 is fully backwards compatible with 10.1 so no worries and no need to be pissed.
Posted on Reply
#18
a_ump
already doing dx10.1? i kno they are with their mobile GPU's but yea they haven't bothered to incorporate it with their desktop GPU's. I think "nvidia is finally doing dx10.1" is a more suited sentence. I def have beef towards nvidia as imo, they killed dx10's potential by not supporting it. Games could run so much better if nvidia had gone with Dx10's origional specs(current dx10.1) that microsoft made.
Posted on Reply
#19
enzolt
a_ump said:
already doing dx10.1? i kno they are with their mobile GPU's but yea they haven't bothered to incorporate it with their desktop GPU's. I think "nvidia is finally doing dx10.1" is a more suited sentence. I def have beef towards nvidia as imo, they killed dx10's potential by not supporting it. Games could run so much better if nvidia had gone with Dx10's origional specs(current dx10.1) that microsoft made.
oh sorry, thats what i meant. hehe :toast:
Posted on Reply
#20
a_ump
enzolt said:
oh sorry, thats what i meant. hehe :toast:
haha yea, but i look for nvidia to go with dx11 specs this time around. Supposedly microsoft is going to have an iron fist this time around with their DX, whereas with dx10 they were like a grade schooler being told no by a high schooler(nvidia). Ah can't wait for new cards.
WANT MOAR POWA!!!!!
Posted on Reply
#21
Bjorn_Of_Iceland
H82LUZ73 said:
LOL this is a fan of Nvidia,I guess you have not even run the ATI card or driver since when....Maybe the 9700 pro...I can say for most guys that run both cards and just ATI ,The cat drivers are up there with Force ware my friend.

I bought my 4870`s so would skip the 5870 release seems i was right,Can not wait for Sept.12 to see performance numbers and such.
I'll take your word for it then ati user :toast:
Posted on Reply
#22
a_ump
ATi drivers and forceware are equal, both work fine for my 8800GT when i had one, my 7800GTX, and now my HD 4870. never found a problem with either nvidia or ati's drivers.
Posted on Reply
#23
PCpraiser100
Nvidia is lazy, ATI is commiting. Simple as that. when the 9800GT came around to replace the 8800GT for DX10.1 compatibility, I couldn't stop laughing.
Posted on Reply
#24
to6ko91
PCpraiser100 said:
Nvidia is lazy, ATI is commiting. Simple as that. when the 9800GT came around to replace the 8800GT for DX10.1 compatibility, I couldn't stop laughing.
I really started lmao was when the 8800gtx was changed to 9800gt and then the 9800gt changed to gts250 ... :roll::roll::roll:
Posted on Reply
#25
enzolt
to6ko91 said:
I really started lmao was when the 8800gtx was changed to 9800gt and then the 9800gt changed to gts250 ... :roll::roll::roll:
im lmao-ing at you. 8800gtx was just 8800gtx. the 8800gt was changed to 9800gt and the 9800gtx/+ was changed to gts250. :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment