Wednesday, January 27th 2010

Apple Unveils the iPad

Apple today unveiled its latest pop gadget, poised to add to the legacy of iPod and iPhone, the iPad. Quite technically, it's a tablet computer, but Apple's implementation ensures it's a mix of the Mac, iPhone, and iPod in clever proportions. The device is half an inch thick, weighs 750 g, has a 9.7 inch IPS multi-touch display, is powered by a custom Apple-made "A4" SoC which runs at 1 GHz, and has variants based on storage and connectivity. On the storage front, on offer are 16, 32, 64 GB, and connectivity options include 3G or WiFi (pick a variant based on what your primary ISP type is).

Just like with the iPhone, an accelerometer lets you tilt the device to change between portrait and landscape modes, and also help with several application features. While the device takes text input from an onscreen touch keyboard, it also supports a real docked keyboard. Apple has released several applications with this, and has also released an SDK for developers to start building applications on. Prices start at - hold your breath - US $499 (for the 16 GB variant), and goes up $599 (32 GB), $699 (64 GB). Adding $130 to any of these models gives you the 3G feature. Let us know what you think about this new device in the ongoing Frontpage Poll (top-right on the front-page).

Many pictures after the break.

Add your own comment

95 Comments on Apple Unveils the iPad

#1
IINexusII
its just a $500 e-book

i like my n900 :)
Posted on Reply
#2
Yukikaze
This thing is one of the most useless releases of the latter years. An expensive gadget with limited uses. I also loved the "netbooks are good for nothing" quote. If they are so bad, then how tens of millions of those were sold in 2009.

Open the platform, do something real.

The Apple motto: "Defective by design".

:shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#3
WhiteLotus
Completely Bonkers said:
iPad. IMO brilliant idea weakly executed.

Missing:

inbuild webcam to make an truly great video skype device

Poor resolution to make a great e-book reader

Dongle for SD card makes getting data off SD card a PITB

Dongle for USB are they kidding? With one or two REAL USB sockets, the possibilities of this device would have been endless, from Psion Textronic type devices to Handheld scanners to GPS electronic maps to Music/MIDI device to iPhone/iPod docking station to... the list of missed opportunities is endless

No video/HDMI input to make this attractive as also a display device

No dual out headphones remember the first SONY walkmans? Two headphone outs to "share" the fun. This could have made a great "video-walkman".

16GB base model is just silly. It will cripple the expandability/creativity of the device OS/software suit due to compatibility with this bottom-end model.

Where is the pen input and handwriting technology to make this thing useful as a notepad? Please dont tell me I need to work a virtual keyboard

Potential. Lot's of it. But iPad 1.0 is really a iPod for SPECIAL NEEDS (Politically correct term for the blind or handicapped).

Perhaps iPad 2.0 will be worth looking at. Keep me posted.
This. This is what is needed. Apple should hire this guy and actually make something decent first time. But wait... How then will Apple make even more money on the incremental upgrades on each model if it already has everything.
Posted on Reply
#5
7mm
kenkickr said:
Now if Apple would just release a iGame console system!?:laugh:
Well, if I were Steve J, I'd give it a real good thought :toast: . Good one mate.
Posted on Reply
#6
Meizuman
I didn't read through the whole thread but Fujitsu has had an iPAD since 2006.

EDIT: Since 2002!!

http://www.fujitsu.com/ca/en/news/pr/ftxs_20060913.html

The Fujitsu's iPAD is a trademark... though Apple has iPad... But still if I would be at Fujitsu, I'd be quite mad about the name.

EDIT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/384a5e24-0bd2-11df-96b9-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/28/fujitsu.mulling.whether.to.fight.apple.on.ipad/
Posted on Reply
#7
WhiteLotus
Meizuman said:
I didn't read through the whole thread but Fujitsu has had an iPAD since 2006.

EDIT: Since 2002!!

http://www.fujitsu.com/ca/en/news/pr/ftxs_20060913.html

The Fujitsu's iPAD is a trademark... though Apple has iPad... But still if I would be at Fujitsu, I'd be quite mad about the name.

EDIT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/384a5e24-0bd2-11df-96b9-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/28/fujitsu.mulling.whether.to.fight.apple.on.ipad/
I smell a lawsuit, and i hope to god they win.
Posted on Reply
#8
z1tu
Meizuman said:
I didn't read through the whole thread but Fujitsu has had an iPAD since 2006.

EDIT: Since 2002!!

http://www.fujitsu.com/ca/en/news/pr/ftxs_20060913.html

The Fujitsu's iPAD is a trademark... though Apple has iPad... But still if I would be at Fujitsu, I'd be quite mad about the name.

EDIT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/384a5e24-0bd2-11df-96b9-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/28/fujitsu.mulling.whether.to.fight.apple.on.ipad/
hah i hope apple loses the lawsuit too :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#10
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
1. I want it as a USB host. That would have been AWESOME.

2. I want linux on this thing.

Completely Bonkers said:
iPad. IMO brilliant idea weakly executed.

Missing:

inbuild webcam to make an truly great video skype device

Poor resolution to make a great e-book reader

Dongle for SD card makes getting data off SD card a PITB

Dongle for USB are they kidding? With one or two REAL USB sockets, the possibilities of this device would have been endless, from Psion Textronic type devices to Handheld scanners to GPS electronic maps to Music/MIDI device to iPhone/iPod docking station to... the list of missed opportunities is endless

No video/HDMI input to make this attractive as also a display device

No dual out headphones remember the first SONY walkmans? Two headphone outs to "share" the fun. This could have made a great "video-walkman".

16GB base model is just silly. It will cripple the expandability/creativity of the device OS/software suit due to compatibility with this bottom-end model.

Where is the pen input and handwriting technology to make this thing useful as a notepad? Please dont tell me I need to work a virtual keyboard

Potential. Lot's of it. But iPad 1.0 is really a iPod for SPECIAL NEEDS (Politically correct term for the blind or handicapped).

Perhaps iPad 2.0 will be worth looking at. Keep me posted.
This needs to be quoted.
Posted on Reply
#12
Suijin
Triprift said:
From what i understand the March release will be wifi only and 3G HSDPA ones in june.
I thought the wifi ones would be released in 60 days and the 3G ones in 90 days, that should be only 1 month after the wifi, so April. Anyway no contract, they said prepaid no contract, and at $30/month unlimited.

I have been wanting a color ereader for awhile now, and I know there are some other technlogies out there that are better for the screen. I will wait and see what becomes of those before deciding. It was funny of the iphone though, people said it was trash and not that good but it has taken competitors a long time to make a comparable device that works well. Hopefully the ereader market is differnet.

The most interesting other type out there for me is the Mirasol/Qualcomm display, although it is only 5.7".
Posted on Reply
#13
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder


Perhaps someone should inform Apple that this prank has already been done...

And yes, that was litterally the first thing I thought of when I saw this oversized iPhone.
Posted on Reply
#14
Tartaros
PP Mguire said:
Macbook Air? :confused:
I mean this thing with mac os or an 11" or less netbook more or less like the ones exist right now at a reasonable price. Macbook air is not 11" or less, the hardware is not like a netbook and has not a reasonable price.
Posted on Reply
#17
Triprift
Meizuman said:
http://www.apple.com/

Why the hell is there a Youtube icon on the screen, if the device doesn't support Flash?
Hmmm i can play yt vids on my 3gs so id assume the ipad could. :shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#18
mdm-adph
Meizuman said:
http://www.apple.com/

Why the hell is there a Youtube icon on the screen, if the device doesn't support Flash?
The Youtube app uses a MP4 interface, where you're actually streaming little MP4 movies instead of streaming flash.
Posted on Reply
#19
Unregistered
Completely Bonkers said:
iPad. IMO brilliant idea weakly executed.

Missing:

inbuild webcam to make an truly great video skype device

Poor resolution to make a great e-book reader

Dongle for SD card makes getting data off SD card a PITB

Dongle for USB are they kidding? With one or two REAL USB sockets, the possibilities of this device would have been endless, from Psion Textronic type devices to Handheld scanners to GPS electronic maps to Music/MIDI device to iPhone/iPod docking station to... the list of missed opportunities is endless

No video/HDMI input to make this attractive as also a display device

No dual out headphones remember the first SONY walkmans? Two headphone outs to "share" the fun. This could have made a great "video-walkman".

16GB base model is just silly. It will cripple the expandability/creativity of the device OS/software suit due to compatibility with this bottom-end model.

Where is the pen input and handwriting technology to make this thing useful as a notepad? Please dont tell me I need to work a virtual keyboard

Potential. Lot's of it. But iPad 1.0 is really a iPod for SPECIAL NEEDS (Politically correct term for the blind or handicapped).
You forgot something very important. Multi tasking. Even my ancient Pentium 233 MMX was capable of that, that not to mention that even a 386 is capable of doing that, LOL!

EPIC FAILURE!!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Posted on Edit | Reply
#20
PCpraiser100
I rather wait for the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor to come around for smartphones than waste my money on the iPad's puny A4 processor. Good effort though, I can see this for eReaders and the elderly right now.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment