Thursday, May 13th 2010

MSI Wind U250 AMD Vision Notebook Pictured

MSI's upcoming CULV notebook based on the AMD platform make its first public appearance at an event conducted by AMD in Paris. The Wind U250 is a 12.1-inch notebook is powered by an AMD Athlon II Neo K325 processor that runs at 1.3 GHz, which is aided by 4 GB of memory, DirectX 10.1 compliant graphics, and offers 320 GB of storage. The 12.1 inch display is likely to have a resolution of 1366x768 pixels. It comes with Windows 7 pre-installed. MSI may release it sometime this summer. More images at the source.

Source: NewGadgets.de

41 Comments on MSI Wind U250 AMD Vision Notebook Pictured

ToTTenTranz
Mussels said:
and from what i've heard, atom has no idle capability at all - it just sits there at full volts and clocks at all times.
Erm.. Atom has great idle capabiilty...
The "oldest" N270 sits at 800Mhz when idling.
For some reason they can get a lowest power usage of ~0.1W.
Mussels
Moderprator
ToTTenTranz said:
Erm.. Atom has great idle capabiilty...
The "oldest" N270 sits at 800Mhz when idling.
For some reason they can get a lowest power usage of ~0.1W.
someone told me on forum here, that they couldnt. perhaps they were wrong, or i remember it wrong...
TheLaughingMan
I have to agree that the Intel Atom is a better offer as a CPU, but as stated before, AMD is selling the AMD Vision platform. The CPU, the IGP, and the Chipset as a whole package here which overall does use less power.

I kinda want a little more info. here. What IGP does it actually have? I know this is a preview and benchmarks, power use numbers, etc. aren't available, but I think this is a great start.

AMD Vision, 4 GB of RAM (Hopefully some low voltage DDR3), 12.1" screen, and really good IGP power. This can been a very nice package for those who want the power of a Notebook, but in a smaller size. There are offerings in this area now, but most are fairly handicapped compared to this, if I recall correctly or just plain cost too much.
ab_box
Mussels said:
well, that's because he's too weak for doing things in idle mode .

all to all this new netbook/portable is a great thing from AMD and the TDP is not bad at all.
pr0n Inspector
TheLaughingMan said:
What? You should read the chart. The K325 1.3 Ghz processor this netbook is sporting is not 15W, it is 12W. Putting it in the same power range as the higher end Atoms.
strange, I could swear it was 15W when I posted that.
pr0n Inspector
TheLaughingMan said:

M880G, with HD 4250. well it's not like we are supposed to game on these... if I need a portable computer I would rather take a 10" one with N450+NM10.
TheLaughingMan
pr0n Inspector said:

True. I would game on it either, but the extra power should allow for smooth HD video playback. Would be a fairly nice bonus to be about to watch my HD movies in full res with no stutter and still get some decent battery life thanks to the GPU UVD 2.
Mussels
Moderprator
TheLaughingMan said:
and it actually works these days thanks to the latest FFDSHOW tryouts, ATI gets DXVA H264 with MKV files and such now.
Melvis
When i first saw this post on this i was like meh, didnt seem anything great, but now reading everyones posts and finding out its a dual core and with HD4250 graphics im now impressed and would like one:)

Dont like the look of it much tho.
Wile E
Power User
Mussels said:
Yeah, but the damn subtitles don't render properly. Do the new builds allow proper Haali and VSfilter support yet?
Mussels
Moderprator
Wile E said:
subtitles work fine for me in the latest ones. they're updating regularly (and by them, i mean CCCP)
Wile E
Power User
Mussels said:
Even the really advanced .ass subs? I got no subs when I enabled DXVA on the last beta I installed.
Mussels
Moderprator
Wile E said:
you had to enable it by default, until the latest CCCP beta where its all on by default now.

Havent got any .ass to test it with, but it works with internals and SRT files.

A few bugs are present in 10.4/10.4a that cause some files to corrupt instead of dropping to software decoding, but they work in 10.3 so they may work again in 10.5
Wile E
Power User
Mussels said:

Havent got any .ass to test it with, but it works with internals and SRT files.

I had enabled them before, but they didn't work. I just tried the newest build, and it seems to work, although it's not using VSfilter, but it's own internal decoder. I'll stick with MT on this rig, as it has the power to spare, but at least now I know I can get acceleration and subs, if I want it.