Monday, November 22nd 2010

AMD Cayman, Antilles Specifications Surface

At last, specifications of AMD's elusive Radeon HD 6970 and Radeon HD 6990 graphics accelerators made it to the internet, with slides exposing details such as stream processor count. The Radeon HD 6970 is based on a new 40 nm GPU by AMD, codenamed "Cayman". The dual-GPU accelerator being designed using two Cayman GPUs is codenamed "Antilles", and carries the product name Radeon HD 6990.

Cayman packs 1920 stream processors, spread across 30 SIMD engines, indicating the 4D stream processor architecture, generating single-precision computational power of 3 TFLOPs. It packs 96 TMUs, 128 Z/Stencil ROPs, and 32 color ROPs. Its memory bandwidth of 160 GB/s indicates that it uses a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface. The memory amount, however, seems to have been doubled to 2 GB on the Radeon HD 6970. Antilles uses two of these Cayman GPUs, combined computational power of 6 TFLOPs, a total of 3840 stream processors, total memory bandwidth of 307.2 GB/s, a total of 4 GB of memory, load and idle board power ratings at 300W and 30W, respectively.

Source: 3DCenter Forum
Add your own comment

134 Comments on AMD Cayman, Antilles Specifications Surface

#1
bear jesus
WarEagleAU said:
wow 30w at idle is incredible....if you ain't gaming or watching a movie, that is awesome.
I agree, i love the lower power draw of newer cards as for one going from the 4870 to 6870 has saved me about $5 a week/about $260 a year in power usage, i know its not exactly a lot but in a little over a years usage the saving would have paid for a 6870 and to me that is awesome.... yes i know I'm tightwad :p
Posted on Reply
#2
BorgOvermind
VLIW4 (4D) arrangement with 1900+ shaders would have a performance of +60% compared to 5870. That, along the 2-3x tesselation performance would certainly prevail.
Posted on Reply
#3
N3M3515
BorgOvermind said:
VLIW4 (4D) arrangement with 1900+ shaders would have a performance of +60% compared to 5870. That, along the 2-3x tesselation performance would certainly prevail.
It would be marvelous!, but i think a more realistic guess would be 40% on average faster than HD5870

And if the leak is to be believed, antilles will be a dual underclocked HD 6970, so if nv dual gpu card isn't dual underclocked GTX 580, nvidia won't be able to match amd's dual gpu.
Posted on Reply
#4
bear jesus
BorgOvermind said:
VLIW4 (4D) arrangement with 1900+ shaders would have a performance of +60% compared to 5870. That, along the 2-3x tesselation performance would certainly prevail.
N3M3515 said:
It would be marvelous!, but i think a more realistic guess would be 40% on average faster than HD5870

And if the leak is to be believed, antilles will be a dual underclocked HD 6970, so if nv dual gpu card isn't dual underclocked GTX 580, nvidia won't be able to match amd's dual gpu.
I just wish it could be 50% faster than the 580 just because of this “If the 6970 is 50% faster then the 580GTX I'll tea bag a donkeys nuts during the Super Bowl half time show.” -TheMailMan78 :roll:

But seriously all i hope for is around the power of 6870 crossfire and have 2gb of memory as standard so i won't mind selling my 6870's to get myself back to using a single card and still game at 5040x1050 with maxed settings.
Posted on Reply
#5
pantherx12
Sapientwolf said:
That's an awful lot to ask for considering there wasn't a change to a smaller fabrication process. It's not gonna happen.
Remember two 5870s don't scale 100% together, it's actually possible.


Not likely mind you :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#7
bear jesus
pantherx12 said:
Remember two 5870s don't scale 100% together, it's actually possible.


Not likely mind you :laugh:
I'm still hoping for about the power of 6870 crossfire and mainly as you said things don't scale 100%.... even if the 6870's do in some games that's beside the point :laugh:

wahdangun said:
wow, just bring it asap AMD
:laugh: I agree, the only thing keeping me so relaxed about the delay is the fact I'm still enjoying my pair of 6870's :D hopefully that should mean I'm not going to have to order on launch day as if i had waited a week or two i could have saved £45, yes i know not much but I'm cheap :p
Posted on Reply
#8
pantherx12
I'm expecting 6850 crossfire performance + what ever the new 4d arrangement brings to the table.

Which should be better minimum frames ( so higher average perhaps too) and since it's roughly dame performance per die area they can use the saved space for extra bits improving things just that bit more.

So 6870 crossfire performance would be around the performance after that thought process lol

waste o post.
Posted on Reply
#9
bear jesus
pantherx12 said:
I'm expecting 6850 crossfire performance + what ever the new 4d arrangement brings to the table.

Which should be better minimum frames ( so higher average perhaps too) and since it's roughly dame performance per die area they can use the saved space for extra bits improving things just that bit more.

So 6870 crossfire performance would be around the performance after that thought process lol

waste o post.
:laugh: not a waste, that post gave me more hope that I'm not just dreaming as i really don't want to lose any power by going from a pair of 6870's to a 6970 but one major thing is even if i got lower max fps he min would be higher thus the average should be as well as some of the momentary fps drops can be crazy low in some games, all the way down to 0fps

I'm really hoping that getting a 2gb 6970 will be a worth while upgrade from a pair of 6870's even if its just for higher min fps, no crossfire issues (not that i have really notice any apart from trouble overvolting with certain programs), the fact that a single card won't be held back so much by my cpu compared to two cards and the hope that 2gb of memory will help when running games maxed at 5040x1050.

I have to ask though why is your rig listed as dead along with everything it's made up from?
Posted on Reply
#10
pantherx12
Oh because I was upset with most of it being dead lol

CPU was fine, ram was fine.

PSU, two graphics cards and the mobo are dead though : [
Posted on Reply
#11
bear jesus
pantherx12 said:
Oh because I was upset with most of it being dead lol

CPU was fine, ram was fine.

PSU, two graphics cards and the mobo are dead though : [
:( my condolences for your loss.

But you know it's a great excuse to upgrade :p that is the only thing that does not bother me about hardware failing on me although it really sucks if it happens at a time when you either have no money to upgrade or at a time when next generation hardware is about to come out but you still have to wait weeks or months even for it to appear at retail.

Do you have any plans for replacement items... maybe a 6970? :p
Posted on Reply
#12
HTC
pantherx12 said:
Oh because I was upset with most of it being dead lol

CPU was fine, ram was fine.

PSU, two graphics cards and the mobo are dead though : [
Sucks :(

Looks like you'll be needing 2 new graphic cards ...

bear jesus said:
:( my condolences for your loss.

But you know it's a great excuse to upgrade :p that is the only thing that does not bother me about hardware failing on me although it really sucks if it happens at a time when you either have no money to upgrade or at a time when next generation hardware is about to come out but you still have to wait weeks or months even for it to appear at retail.

Do you have any plans for replacement items... maybe a 6970? :p
My information network tells me you'll have a couple of 6870 cards for sale soon: i think i may have found you a customer ...
Posted on Reply
#13
bear jesus
HTC said:
Sucks :(

Looks like you'll be needing 2 new graphic cards ...



My information network tells me you'll have a couple of 6870 cards for sale soon: i think i may have found you a customer ...
Unfortunately one has already been promised to a friend who is using an on board intel gpu, i can't let him suffer like that :roll: plus he wants the one that i cut a chunk off the cooling plate to attach a vf1000 and also got pencil volt modded for a while so i don't mind giving him a friend only price as it's kind of damaged :laugh: only the one i did not mess with will be available to whoever will take it.

I'm betting panther will be wanting a 580 or 6970 though :p any thoughts on that yet panther?
Posted on Reply
#14
HTC
bear jesus said:
Unfortunately one has already been promised to a friend who is using an on board intel gpu, i can't let him suffer like that :roll: plus he wants the one that i cut a chunk off the cooling plate to attach a vf1000 and also got pencil volt modded for a while so i don't mind giving him a friend only price as it's kind of damaged :laugh: only the one i did not mess with will be available to whoever will take it.

I'm betting panther will be wanting a 580 or 6970 though :p any thoughts on that yet panther?
You mean to tell me my information network 1.8.5 is wrong? Impossible!!! I knew i should have upgraded to information network 2.0.3 beta ...

Getting back on topic, these new developments seem interesting: really looking forward to seeing some benches. I just hope whoever wins doesn't do so by a big margin so that we can have our treasured price wars :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#15
bear jesus
HTC said:
You mean to tell me my information network 1.8.5 is wrong? Impossible!!! I knew i should have upgraded to information network 2.0.3 beta ...

Getting back on topic, these new developments seem interesting: really looking forward to seeing some benches. I just hope whoever wins doesn't do so by a big margin so that we can have our treasured price wars :laugh:
:laugh:

But bk on topic i agree, i would love for the 6970 to be about the power of a 580 and even more so for the 6990 to be about the same as the 595 (i think that's what the dual gf110 card is being referred to as) as then it would be perfect for some great price drops, the recent price drops by nvidia to go against the 68xx cards is a perfect example of how far things can drop, if it was not for the power usage i would have got 2 470's for the same price as 2 6870's instead but to do that i would have wanted to get a better psu as i would have to overclock them :D
Posted on Reply
#16
BorgOvermind
I've re-done some calculations. I'm not gonna get anyone bored with them, but judging by the software shader usage (in)efficiency on the 5k series and the available data regarding 6970, the minimum worst case scenario performance improvement of the 6970 compared to 5870 would be 43%, with an estimated 53% real-world increase (based on how the 68x0 act right now). So if clocks and other things are also tweaked towards better, we could really see above 60%.
Posted on Reply
#17
HalfAHertz
BorgOvermind said:
I've re-done some calculations. I'm not gonna get anyone bored with them, but judging by the software shader usage (in)efficiency on the 5k series and the available data regarding 6970, the minimum worst case scenario performance improvement of the 6970 compared to 5870 would be 43%, with an estimated 53% real-world increase (based on how the 68x0 act right now). So if clocks and other things are also tweaked towards better, we could really see above 60%.
60% above what exactly? Anyway this is not what amd is aiming for. In the best case scenario it would deliver performance on par or slightly greater than the 580.
It is much more financially viable if you have a much more powerful component than your opponent to tweak it down, make it just fast enough but cheaper to produce, so that you can maximize profit margins. If it has potential to be 60% faster than the 5870 (15-20% faster than the 580 i am guessing), while consuming the same power and releasing the same heat as the GTX, AMD would instead underclock/volt it, to increase harvest rates, slim down the cooler and circuitry to decrease costs and make it only 5% faster. After all they are just a business...and as we all know they are after the monies and not after the e-peen

These are just my 2c about your "calculations" :p coz my calculatunZ™ show just the opposite, that the 6970 will be just under the 580 :D
Posted on Reply
#18
entropy13
HalfAHertz said:
60% above what exactly? Anyway this is not what amd is aiming for. In the best case scenario it would deliver performance on par or slightly greater than the 580.
It is much more financially viable if you have a much more powerful component than your opponent to tweak it down, make it just fast enough but cheaper to produce, so that you can maximize profit margins. If it has potential to be 60% faster than the 5870 (15-20% faster than the 580 i am guessing), while consuming the same power and releasing the same heat as the GTX, AMD would instead underclock/volt it, to increase harvest rates, slim down the cooler and circuitry to decrease costs and make it only 5% faster. After all they are just a business...and as we all know they are after the monies and not after the e-peen

These are just my 2c about your "calculations" :p coz my calculatunZ™ show just the opposite, that the 6970 will be just under the 580 :D
He meant above 60%, "greater than 60%", not "60% greater than X"
Posted on Reply
#19
N3M3515
HalfAHertz said:
60% above what exactly? Anyway this is not what amd is aiming for. In the best case scenario it would deliver performance on par or slightly greater than the 580.
It is much more financially viable if you have a much more powerful component than your opponent to tweak it down, make it just fast enough but cheaper to produce, so that you can maximize profit margins. If it has potential to be 60% faster than the 5870 (15-20% faster than the 580 i am guessing), while consuming the same power and releasing the same heat as the GTX, AMD would instead underclock/volt it, to increase harvest rates, slim down the cooler and circuitry to decrease costs and make it only 5% faster. After all they are just a business...and as we all know they are after the monies and not after the e-peen

These are just my 2c about your "calculations" :p coz my calculatunZ™ show just the opposite, that the 6970 will be just under the 580 :D
His calculations seem logical, because 1920 shaders are 2x 6850 and 2x 6850 is faster than gtx 580, BUT it not only stops there, you also have the new 4d arrangement, it's single gpu so no problems with drivers, also improved tessellation. if it isn't at least equal to gtx 580 something must be wrong with the leaks.
Posted on Reply
#20
bear jesus
N3M3515 said:
His calculations seem logical, because 1920 shaders are 2x 6850 and 2x 6850 is faster than gtx 580, BUT it not only stops there, you also have the new 4d arrangement, it's single gpu so no problems with drivers, also improved tessellation. if it isn't at least equal to gtx 580 something must be wrong with the leaks.
The fact that 1920 is double the 6850 never crossed my mind, in theory if doubling it gave double the frame rate then it would be the same as the games/res that scale to 100% but then if the architecture is better it would mean even more than 6850 crossfire.

I can't wait to see what the 6970 can do.
Posted on Reply
#22
dir_d
So 300 TDP based on a software limiting cap for AMD Turbo Core for GPU? Essentially auto overclocking and software capping to 300 TDP to meet ATX standard? Is this what im reading?

If so i think its very cool and innovative, It could work out great for people that are scared to overclock but at the same time it seems to hinder real enthusiasts. Sound expense also, i wonder if they will try to justify this as the reason why its going to be priced above the 580. Im just assuming it will be higher than the 580 because AMD's price have been steadily not being what they used to be.
Posted on Reply
#23
cadaveca
My name is Dave
I think that they HAD to implement the "GPU TurboCORE"...research issues with silicon vias, and you'll understand why.

It's no coincidence that both AMD and nV are using similar tech here, nV's just doesn't adjust clocks...that we know of.
Posted on Reply
#24
KainXS
prays that its decent
Posted on Reply
#25
wahdangun
bear jesus said:
I'm still hoping for about the power of 6870 crossfire and mainly as you said things don't scale 100%.... even if the 6870's do in some games that's beside the point :laugh:



:laugh: I agree, the only thing keeping me so relaxed about the delay is the fact I'm still enjoying my pair of 6870's :D hopefully that should mean I'm not going to have to order on launch day as if i had waited a week or two i could have saved £45, yes i know not much but I'm cheap :p
no...no... and no.... if you want to buy it cheap you MUST buy it at launch because if it was like HD 58XX scenario the card will be sold out quickly and we know e-tailer like to jack up the price
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment