Tuesday, April 19th 2011

Alienware Redefines Mobile Gaming with Three New Gaming Laptops

Alienware is redefining mobile gaming – again – with three new, all-powerful laptops, including the soon to be released M18x, which lays claim to the title of "most powerful 18-inch gaming laptop in the universe;" the M14x, which delivers unprecedented performance and portability; and an enhanced M11x, already a favorite among gaming enthusiasts, and the most-powerful sub-14-inch notebook in the universe.

The two new faces in the Alienware laptop family, the upcoming M18x and the M14x, along with the new M11x, deliver unprecedented power to the gamer on the go. All three platforms offer the latest in gaming technology, and feature second-generation Intel Core i processors to deliver the most immersive high-performance gaming experience imaginable.
In particular:
  • The M18x will offer dual-graphics technology and an the industry's only Intel Core i7 Extreme CPU option factory overclocked to 4GHz;
  • The M18x and the M14x offer optional wireless HD audio and video for latency-free streaming to larger screens; and
  • All three laptops also offer HDMI 1.4 for connection to 3D-capable HDTVs for incredible, lifelike 3D gaming and SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports for up to 10x the speed of USB 2.0 connections for a new level in data transfer.
Alienware has a rich history of innovation and delivering solutions that delight gamers and performance enthusiasts around the world. These laptops, along with the m17x announced and launched in January, represent the most-significant expansion in Alienware's portfolio in several years and arrive as the company celebrates its five-year anniversary as part of the Dell family. Since its acquisition by Dell, Alienware has expanded to provide award-winning gaming systems to a global fan base. The brand is also available at major retailers worldwide and has spawned a community site, Alienware Arena (www.alienwarearena.com), where gamers everywhere can interact socially and compete with one another.

"If you're a gamer, you're going to love our new family of laptops, which deliver on the features gamers care most about – uncompromised graphics performance, latency-free wireless HD streaming to HDTVs, and lifelike 3D gaming," said Arthur Lewis, general manager of Alienware. "We are committed to delivering the best gaming systems for enthusiasts everywhere and we take great pride in helping them 'pwn', no matter where they are in the world."

As Alienware's flagship laptop, the M18x – which is also dubbed the "Most Powerful 18-inch Gaming Laptop in the Universe" – will be a true desktop replacement. It is perfect for gamers who want to compromise nothing for blistering frame rates and full immersion in the gaming experience. With Wireless HD and 3D options, as well as HDMI-in, the M18x allows gamers a no-holds-barred gaming machine capable of meeting even the most grueling demands of today's gamer, delivering gaming content when and where gamers need it.

For gamers seeking a mobile HD gaming experience who want a balance of performance and mobility, the new 14-inch M14x offers the best of both worlds. Weighing in at less than 6.5lbs, the M14x features full-voltage Second-generation four- and two-core Intel Core i CPUs, discrete graphics and an optical disk drive. For the gaming enthusiast or anyone who needs mobile computing performance, the M14x is a mobile yet powerful option. The M14x offers updated graphics featuring the NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M with up to 3GB of graphics memory, and for the gamer on the go, optional Intel WiMAX technology to enable internet connectivity virtually anywhere.

For the truly mobile gamer, the M11x has long been a favorite, but now it's even better! New improvements to the popular M11x include second-generation Intel Core i processors with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, updated graphics featuring the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, and like the larger M14x, optional Intel WiMAX technology. The latest M11x also features a soft touch finish with a new Nebula Red option.

Blistering Performance
The M18x, M14x and M11x each offer blistering performance on the go. Highlights of the new M18x include:
  • An 18.4-inch FHD WLED 1080p display for the best visuals possible
  • Powerful Dual GPU options with the fastest graphics memory (GDDR5) on all graphics options
  • Both AMD and NVIDIA graphics options, in Crossfire X and SLI, respectively
  • New Intel "Huron River" Architecture with a new factoryoverclocked Intel Core i7 Extreme Quad Core processor up to 4GHz
  • Upgradeable to up to 32GB 1333MHz memory
  • HDMI/Display Port output & HDMI-in
  • Wireless HD & 3D output options, delivering low-latency high-def content wirelessly or output to 3D displays
Highlights of the new M14x include:
  • 14-inch WLED HD (720p) display standard (1366x768) or optional 14-inch WLED HD+ (900p) display (1600x900)
  • Second-generation Overclockable Intel Core i CPUs with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
  • Updated graphics featuring the NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M with up to 3GB of VRAM
  • NVIDIA Optimus technology to extend battery life
  • Up to 8GB of 1600MHz Extreme-Performance system memory
  • HDMI 1.4 to support connectivity on HDTVs and 7.1 digital audio
  • Audio powered by Klipsch (onboard speakers)
  • Optional Intel WiMAX technology
And the refreshed M11x includes:
  • An 11.6-inch WLED HD (720p) display (WXGA 1366x768)
  • Second-generation Overclockable Intel Core i CPUs with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
  • Updated graphics featuring the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
  • Up to 16GB of 1333MHz high-performance system memory
  • HDMI 1.4 to support connectivity on HDTVs and 7.1 digital audio
  • Audio powered by Klipsch (onboard speakers)
  • Optional Intel WiMAX technology
Add your own comment

75 Comments on Alienware Redefines Mobile Gaming with Three New Gaming Laptops

#1
v12dock
And I thought my power brick was large...

Posted on Reply
#2
Jonap_1st
Fourstaff said:
You obviously have not heard of Eurocom Panther 2.0
i had seen them a couple times, but never heard they build it on SLI
Posted on Reply
#3
Rhyseh
Why does this product exist?

What possible use could this machine have?

The only thing this device is good for is looking pretty. Although we do seem to have a disproportionate number of idiots in the world who purchase useless techno products just because they look pretty.... Just look at the iPad... :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#4
Easy Rhino
Linux Advocate
Rhyseh said:


What possible use could this machine have?
playing games?
Posted on Reply
#5
pr0n Inspector
Rhyseh said:
Why does this product exist?

What possible use could this machine have?

The only thing this device is good for is looking pretty. Although we do seem to have a disproportionate number of idiots in the world who purchase useless techno products just because they look pretty.... Just look at the iPad... :laugh:
Overpriced, gaudy-looking POS is the essence of 1337 PC industry. I mean, there are idiots who pay 20 dollars for a purple CCFL.
Posted on Reply
#6
Fourstaff
Jonap_1st said:
i had seen them a couple times, but never heard they build it on SLI
Eurocom squeezes 2 Graphics card and 4 harddrive into a 17.3 chassis.

http://www.eurocom.com/ Enjoy :toast:
Posted on Reply
#7
kiss4luna
Hey all you guys listen to me
i tried the new m11x r3, m14x r1, m17x r3, m18x r1. what i want to say is: they are awsome
and this is not an advertisment
lol
Posted on Reply
#8
Fourstaff
kiss4luna said:
Hey all you guys listen to me
i tried the new m11x r3, m14x r1, m17x r3, m18x r1. what i want to say is: they are awsome
and this is not an advertisment
lol
Awesome performance? yes. Awesome price/perf? no. Awesome build quality? no. Awesome epeen extender? yes. Are there better products out there? yes.

But that said, Alienware serves as a nice floor in which higher end mobile gaming rigs can be measured against.
Posted on Reply
#9
kiss4luna
Rhyseh said:
Why does this product exist?

What possible use could this machine have?

The only thing this device is good for is looking pretty. Although we do seem to have a disproportionate number of idiots in the world who purchase useless techno products just because they look pretty.... Just look at the iPad... :laugh:
why do Porsche and Ferreri exist?
What possible use could these cars have?
The only thing that devices are good for is looking pretty...........

well, i do love an M1A1 main battle tank or an AH64D Apache attack helicopter more than any racing car........lol
Posted on Reply
#10
Bo$$
Lab Extraordinaire
kiss4luna said:
Hey all you guys listen to me
i tried the new m11x r3, m14x r1, m17x r3, m18x r1. what i want to say is: they are awsome
and this is not an advertisment
lol
where did you do this?!
Posted on Reply
#11
pr0n Inspector
kiss4luna said:
why do Porsche and Ferreri exist?
What possible use could these cars have?
The only thing that devices are good for is looking pretty...........

well, i do love an M1A1 main battle tank or an AH64D Apache attack helicopter more than any racing car........lol
...except Alienware is not the supercar brand of PC. It's Dell on steroids, and no, Alienware was never that good.
Posted on Reply
#12
Sinzia
pr0n Inspector said:
...except Alienware is not the supercar brand of PC. It's Dell on steroids, and no, Alienware was never that good.
Its pretty good if you're looking at the M11x. I don't know of any other sub 13 inch notebooks that have a decent dedicated card.
Posted on Reply
#13
kiss4luna
pr0n Inspector said:
...except Alienware is not the supercar brand of PC. It's Dell on steroids, and no, Alienware was never that good.
Alienware is being better and better, and don't forget that it was founded by two gamers only 15 years ago (1996-2011). its deliever-directly-to-customer selling mode and customizable configuration are now copied by many other pc companies if i remember correctly. no one brand in the world was good enough at their first serveral decades.
someone just wants a PC that can be more easily taken than a tower chassis and handles their workload and gaming needs and got some cool features --- the best choice is still Alienware. myself as an example: i often need to work in dark environment with only display lights on, so i need a keyboard with backlits like XArmor U9BL although some others may think backlit is totally bullshit. I like Alienware laptops' keyboard cause only she offers such a beautiful color-customizable option than any other brand.
i used Asus G73JW last year and compared it with Alienware M15x: Asus G73 is lighter and has better cooling and cheaper, but overall build quality is not good as M15x. Now i tried new M11x R3, M14x R1, M17x R3, M18x R1, i have to say that these Aliens are much better than their ancestors, many improvements have been made even comapring to R2 version---check it yourself, you will see how it improves. as sort of a hardcore gamer, if i need to buy an OEM PC, alienware is my only choice---just ignore that stupid TerranForce or something.
Posted on Reply
#14
pr0n Inspector
Sinzia said:
Its pretty good if you're looking at the M11x. I don't know of any other sub 13 inch notebooks that have a decent dedicated card.
The refreshed $999 sub-notebook also have a glossy display that is even worse than the last one, in fact it's so bad it would make you think this is a bottom-of-the-line netbook.

kiss4luna said:
Now i tried new Dell M11x R3, M14x R1, M17x R3, M18x R1
So you tried all these new models already? If that's actually the truth you are most likely working for Dell.
Posted on Reply
#15
kiss4luna
pr0n Inspector said:
The refreshed $999 sub-notebook also have a glossy display that is even worse than the last one, in fact it's so bad it would make you think this is a bottom-of-the-line netbook.



So you tried all these new models already? If that's actually the truth you are most likely working for Dell.
yeah so i can not tell too much
Posted on Reply
#16
Fourstaff
kiss4luna said:
yeah so i can not tell too much
You are working for Dell and you claim Alienware is very good. Hmm, advertising for your own company? Troll better next time pls thx
Posted on Reply
#17
mlee49
kiss4luna said:
yeah so i can not tell too much
So then stop.

AW sucks and there are much better gaming laptop manufacturers like Asus and Sager(Clevo based). Even MSI had a Whitebook with 2 3870 gpus.

I got ripped off big time and swore I would never support them again.

I have a Sager notebook that has a 260m, 9700 cpu, and 4 Gb ram that I picked up early 2010 for $1000 and its been fantastic. I game on it and it stays exceptionally cool compared to my old M9700 that was on fire just from booting up.
Posted on Reply
#18
kiss4luna
mlee49 said:
So then stop.

AW sucks and there are much better gaming laptop manufacturers like Asus and Sager(Clevo based). Even MSI had a Whitebook with 2 3870 gpus.

I got ripped off big time and swore I would never support them again.

I have a Sager notebook that has a 260m, 9700 cpu, and 4 Gb ram that I picked up early 2010 for $1000 and its been fantastic. I game on it and it stays exceptionally cool compared to my old M9700 that was on fire just from booting up.
asus notebooks suck in my opinion
and sager is no where to buy in my region
Posted on Reply
#19
kiss4luna
Fourstaff said:
You are working for Dell and you claim Alienware is very good. Hmm, advertising for your own company? Troll better next time pls thx
i make diy sets since i was in 6 grade, i never liked any OEM PC before i met alienware. i think it is good, at least gives me different feelings than any other oem rigs. yes you guys had bad past memories of it, i awared of it while i was doing research of alienware history last year and see all those sufferings, but i also saw its improvements in the past two years

and sorry for my poor English and misunderstood to previous posts, i'm not working for dell

peace
Posted on Reply
#20
Fourstaff
I am not too sure about the improvements over the past 2 years, because I still hear more complaints from Alienware computers than others. Sure, they might be innovating (M11x), but their quality have not improved much (if at all). If the parent company Dell is of any indication, the quality has gone downhill rapidly, my friend's less than 1 year old XPS keeps on overheating. That is something I think is extremely sloppy engineering.

Still doesn't explain how you managed to get your hands on the newest Alienwares if you are not working for them.
Posted on Reply
#21
digibucc
Maban said:
18" lappy with only 1080p is terrible. Why hasn't the computer industry accepted that 1920x1200 is the better resolution?
better? objectively? i don't think so.

subjectively, if you need more vertical pixels, it is a better suit to you.
but in reality it is impossible to objectively say 1200 vertical pixels is "better"
than 1080, it's just more.

some cars hold more gas, some computers have more memory.
some games have more coders.

subjectively that may sway your decision one way or the other, but
that is entirely dependent on your personal needs and preferences.

some people may want a screen that fits the format that ALL HD media is
released in. some people want more vertical pixels. that would decide
what better suits them, but not which is better.


so there, i think - is why the industry hasn't accepted it. it's not true.
Posted on Reply
#22
Wile E
Power User
digibucc said:
better? objectively? i don't think so.

subjectively, if you need more vertical pixels, it is a better suit to you.
but in reality it is impossible to objectively say 1200 vertical pixels is "better"
than 1080, it's just more.

some cars hold more gas, some computers have more memory.
some games have more coders.

subjectively that may sway your decision one way or the other, but
that is entirely dependent on your personal needs and preferences.

some people may want a screen that fits the format that ALL HD media is
released in. some people want more vertical pixels. that would decide
what better suits them, but not which is better.


so there, i think - is why the industry hasn't accepted it. it's not true.
No, it IS better, because it does everything 1080 does and more. 1080p media plays on it pixel perfect with no scaling.

So, if 1920x1200 does everything 1920x1080 does plus more, how is it not the better resolution?

The industry hasn't accepted it only because there is a bigger profit margin on 1080p screens, not because of type of inferiority.
Posted on Reply
#23
pr0n Inspector
digibucc said:
better? objectively? i don't think so.

subjectively, if you need more vertical pixels, it is a better suit to you.
but in reality it is impossible to objectively say 1200 vertical pixels is "better"
than 1080, it's just more.

some cars hold more gas, some computers have more memory.
some games have more coders.

subjectively that may sway your decision one way or the other, but
that is entirely dependent on your personal needs and preferences.

some people may want a screen that fits the format that ALL HD media is
released in.
some people want more vertical pixels. that would decide
what better suits them, but not which is better.


so there, i think - is why the industry hasn't accepted it. it's not true.
You mean like movies in 2.4:1 AR? Even HDTV broadcasters sometimes add black bars instead of cropping(raping) the picture.
Posted on Reply
#24
kiss4luna
Fourstaff said:
I am not too sure about the improvements over the past 2 years, because I still hear more complaints from Alienware computers than others. Sure, they might be innovating (M11x), but their quality have not improved much (if at all). If the parent company Dell is of any indication, the quality has gone downhill rapidly, my friend's less than 1 year old XPS keeps on overheating. That is something I think is extremely sloppy engineering.

Still doesn't explain how you managed to get your hands on the newest Alienwares if you are not working for them.
after the promotion conference on May i can show a photo with all of them but before that i can't post anything:p
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment