Thursday, April 28th 2011

SLI on AMD Chipsets Confirmed, ASUS Crosshair V Box Pictured

It could be curtains down for NVIDIA nForce SLI chipset for AMD platform, as the GPU giant formally announced its intentions to license NVIDIA SLI technology for use on AMD chipset-based motherboards starting from AMD's upcoming 9-series chipset. Rumors about this development started trickling in around late March. NVIDIA's public release confirms most of what was outlined in the leaked company slide in the older article, that licenses will be only offered to 9-series (and later) chipset-based motherboards, and that only those motherboard manufacturers that are licensed by NVIDIA for SLI on their Intel platform motherboards will be given licenses. NVIDIA specifically mentions ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, and MSI as qualifying partners.

The more interesting part of the release, however, was the box-art of ASUS' upcoming high-end socket AM3+ motherboard, the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Crosshair V Formula. Its salad of product logos is what is most fascinating. For one, it confirms the product name and logo of AMD's new high-end desktop processors to be "FX", as revealed by the box designs. The next logo is of Phenom II, and as we know, AM3+ gives backwards compatibility to older AM3 processors. Next up is the AMD 9-series chipset logo, another Radeon-like logo by AMD. Next to it is the logo of the moment: NVIDIA SLI, and lastly ATI CrossFireX. There is a newer rectangular logo of "AMD CrossFire" that succeeds the ATI CrossFireX logo, but maybe ASUS, like many, found it too hideous. You can probably make a better one on MS Paint.

Source: GeForce.com
Add your own comment

51 Comments on SLI on AMD Chipsets Confirmed, ASUS Crosshair V Box Pictured

#1
p_o_s_pc
F@H&WCG addict
Velvet Wafer said:
Nforce chipsets are that kind of chipset, that will burn your fingers, if you touch it, and no fan is pointed towards it;)
Nvidia Chipsets are the cause of global warming :shadedshu

I honestly haven't had a problem with Nvidia chipsets other then they run so hot. I once touched my heatsink after gaming for a few hours and burnt my finger so bad that you could see the fins in my finger for about a year.(That is all true,was with a Nfoce 430 running a bus speed of 274mhz vs stock 200mhz)
Posted on Reply
#2
Robert-The-Rambler
Too little too late for me

It would have been nice for them to lift the SLI restriction on all chipsets but I guess I'm not in Wonderland. :nutkick:
Posted on Reply
#3
theubersmurf
I suppose the question is, is there an actual bar between SLI and a northbridge that includes an AMD integrated graphics solution? Anyone know this with any real accuracy? I know that enabling SLI is done in the software layer, so is the difference simply one made by invidia/AMD or is there something else barring the way?
Posted on Reply
#5
Jonap_1st
it's nice to share some money with your arch enemies..
Posted on Reply
#6
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
DriedFrogPills said:
November?
That was in US format. 11/6/2011 in our format.

Posted on Reply
#7
DriedFrogPills
So June. And glad to see nvidia has done this. Makes a lot of sense to increase their install base
Posted on Reply
#8
VulkanBros
NC37 said:
Always liked nForce chipsets myself. Course I used them back when it was just nForce or Via, and I had terrible issues with Via. Went to something else again when I had a 939 board but it died. All my nForce boards are still running where my other makes are dead. So, shame they aren't making them anymore but I'm fine with AMD chipsets if they can offer me both SLI/Crossfire. Gives me much more flexibility in GPU options. Yay NV for finally seeing the light!
Naah....worst ever chipsets was SiS .... pure crap - allways had to install some patches to get them work......
Posted on Reply
#9
NC37
p_o_s_pc said:
Nvidia Chipsets are the cause of global warming :shadedshu

I honestly haven't had a problem with Nvidia chipsets other then they run so hot. I once touched my heatsink after gaming for a few hours and burnt my finger so bad that you could see the fins in my finger for about a year.(That is all true,was with a Nfoce 430 running a bus speed of 274mhz vs stock 200mhz)
Yeah come to think of it, they have been kinda warm. I haven't felt my 570 get super hot like that. It is certainly hotter than my others. Surprised it's ran so well then. Probably should get a new cooling setup for this but the GPU sits on top of it so I couldn't do anything tall.

I remember now what my other chipset I had which died was, it was an Uli M1695 on an ASrock board. Think NV bought them up if I remember right. Was a nice chipset while it worked. Neat board. Had both AGP and PCIe 16x plus a weird upgrade socket. Even bought the upgrade board to take it to AM2 but it never got used.
Posted on Reply
#10
GSquadron
I have fallen in love!
Hope to see it as the best mobo from amd and as a conclusion the best! :)
Posted on Reply
#11
p3gaz_001
i've gone to 1366 for sli question, now amd provide sli on his mainboards?! ... too late.
Posted on Reply
#12
Velvet Wafer
p3gaz_001 said:
i've gone to 1366 for sli question, now amd provide sli on his mainboards?! ... too late.
just if you dont know the SLI hack, that could have saved you from having to get a 1366 board:laugh:
Posted on Reply
#13
p3gaz_001
i've tried,did not work for me so 1366 was the way ....
Posted on Reply
#14
Velvet Wafer
p3gaz_001 said:
i've tried,did not work for me so 1366 was the way ....
did you ever asked the creators of the mod, if they would implement you board?
Posted on Reply
#15
p3gaz_001
Velvet Wafer said:
did you ever asked the creators of the mod, if they would implement you board?
i've passed crosshair crosshair III, crosshair IV and IV extreme... tried the sli hack on the crosshair III did not work, tried on the IV/IV extreme ... didn't work, so i walked to 1366.
however i don not like those half working tips .....so 1366 was the only way to get a correct and working sli.
Posted on Reply
#16
Velvet Wafer
p3gaz_001 said:
i've passed crosshair crosshair III, crosshair IV and IV extreme... tried the sli hack on the crosshair III did not work, tried on the IV/IV extreme ... didn't work, so i walked to 1366.
however i don not like those half working tips .....so 1366 was the only way to get a correct and working sli.
i used my pair of 8800gt´s in both an AMD 790gx board, and on a Rampage formula, i still use it today.... after the first few updates, the patch got much better... you had to exchange system files before, now its just a 1 click installer;)
Posted on Reply
#17
p3gaz_001
Velvet Wafer said:
i used my pair of 8800gt´s in both an AMD 790gx board, and on a Rampage formula, i still use it today.... after the first few updates, the patch got much better... you had to exchange system files before, now its just a 1 click installer;)
you've got that right , now ...

at that time, maybe if i had more patience to try ....... :shadedshu :o
well ...... wanna see how it works on amd, and then i can value to change back to amd. not b4.
Posted on Reply
#18
Velvet Wafer
p3gaz_001 said:
you've got that right , now ...

at that time, maybe if i had more patience to try ....... :shadedshu :o
well ...... wanna see how it works on amd, and then i can value to change back to amd. not b4.
i have shot 2 OSes with the original patch, until Pos_PC found out that win7 x64 and vista x64 worked as only OS with it. XP simply got corrupted;)

After Pos_PC and me made a request in the SLI hack thread, AMD chipsets were finally fully implemented... and should be one of the least problematic chipsets today... just try it, with most card/board combinations its just stick (in) and click:)
Posted on Reply
#19
p3gaz_001
Velvet Wafer said:
i have shot 2 OSes with the original patch, until Pos_PC found out that win7 x64 and vista x64 worked as only OS with it. XP simply got corrupted;)

After Pos_PC and me made a request in the SLI hack thread, AMD chipsets were finally fully implemented... and should be one of the least problematic chipsets today... just try it, with most card/board combinations its just stick (in) and click:)
wtf .... :shadedshu :wtf:
btw thanks for the "late" advice :roll:
Posted on Reply
#20
Velvet Wafer
p3gaz_001 said:
wtf .... :shadedshu :wtf:
btw thanks for the "late" advice :roll:
can happen! at least now you know it, if you plan for going bulldozer!:D

No problem, i just cant stand Nvidia and their bastardly methods... if i can make them poorer,hell yes! i love to do so!:laugh: Never buy an Nvidia card new... buy them used, so they wont make any money with it... Then Nvidia cards are truly fine!:p

So,if more People make them loosing more and more.... maybe one day we get a 50/50 market share between red and green;)
Posted on Reply
#21
p3gaz_001
Velvet Wafer said:
can happen! at least now you know it, if you plan for going bulldozer!:D

No problem, i just cant stand Nvidia and their bastardly methods... if i can make them poorer,hell yes! i love to do so!:laugh: Never buy an Nvidia card new... buy them used, so they wont make any money with it... Then Nvidia cards are truly fine!:p

So,if more People make them loosing more and more.... maybe one day we get a 50/50 market share between red and green;)
:toast:
Posted on Reply
#23
Velvet Wafer
n0tiert said:
another post on nvidia's website about AMD-SLI

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/04/you-asked-for-it-you-got-it-sli-for-amd/

Haha who asked for it ? i did not :p
many did, but the stupid b*stards rather sat on their pile of money, doing sexual activities with it....:shadedshu
i absolutely love, how they continously try to do, as if they would be technologically oriented, or in any kind interested in the wishes of Enthusiasts, that arent profitable enough...
hell, if i didnt knew it better, i would have sworn that Nvidia is beeing led by Ferengi! :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#24
essplicit
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ VS ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ (mobo)

OR

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ (mobo)


Which of the mobo is better?.... i know what i should know about rigs, i know nothing about oc-ing and all them other stuff, i am a crazy gamer and really happy to say i'm learning little by little about tweaking my pc.. thanks youtube...lol... i like to be on top of my game, i dont like to be left behind. well i know these are the best two out of all the new AMD3+ boards, i just cant get my mind around which is the best of choice.....

( i'm an AMD fan from ever since) i want to build a new rig with the new bulldozer coming out, 1x Amd 6990 + 1x Amd6970 or 3x 6970s either way in the Obsidian 800D full tower case, 360 rad watercool kit, 1100w psu, 2x 4G vegance memory and 2x 1TB HD

i have being reading alot and looking at reviews on the AMD gpus and these two motherboards. so, i found out 2x 6970s are better than 1x 6990 but i'm not sure i want more than two video cards in my rig. i want the best of the best as long as my pocket can handle it.

so can someone please let me know which is the best of choice.......? thanks in advance...
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment