Thursday, November 17th 2011

MW3 Console Players Have Crashtastic Time Of It

While the Modern Warfare 3 launch has got off pretty smoothly overall with few technical glitches and made Activision a shed-load of money, it seems that some XBOX 360 players are not so lucky. g4tv.com reports that there is a "A 14-page thread on Xbox.com points to multiple XBOX 360 gamers getting similar disc read errors from the game." The general symptoms seem to be that the console will either not read the disc at all, or starts, but then falls over flat on its face with an ungainly crash a little while later. While many posters have suggested solutions, there doesn't appear to be a definitive fix. Therefore, the best course of action for this problem is to return the disc to the retailer and ask for a replacement.

Finally, If you're a console gamer, then this of course serves you right for not being a PC gamer and enjoying the benefit of superior hardware. It should also be noted that the PC version comes as a download on the Steam online network. This eliminates any DVD read issues as there's no DVD (the installation disc in the retail version can be ignored) and also greatly improves loading times both at the start and during level changes, since it loads from the hard disc.
Add your own comment

57 Comments on MW3 Console Players Have Crashtastic Time Of It

#1
AsRock
TPU addict
Activision cheaping out on the disks ?.. Shame on them if so.
Posted on Reply
#2
n-ster
I think it is obvious where the bias is and where the facts are in this news posts and I love it. I can see it being irritating if both are bunched together, but personally, if I agree with the bias I don't mind LOL

Now, if only all PS3s YLODed and Xboxes RRODed, we can make developers care about games being developed on PC :p
Posted on Reply
#4
reverze
how many of them bought the game ? ;)
Posted on Reply
#5
caleb
I guess editorial is editorial. You need to get used to new stuff even when its better :)
At least Its some break between all the pendrive releases being spammed sometimes ^^
Posted on Reply
#6
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
It was fine until the second paragraph. :shadedshu

I mean good god. I just .. no.
Posted on Reply
#7
Jack Doph
Love the article, but I feel compelled to say something as well.
This reaks of Apple vs Microsoft.

Even Steve Jobs had a dig at his own following about that ("for Apple to win, does not mean Windows has to lose")

Each must win on its own merits.
We, the consumer(s), reap the benefits from all camps trying harder to be better, rather than being more successful in slagging off the others ;)
Posted on Reply
#8
entropy13
Jack Doph said:
Love the article, but I feel compelled to say something as well.
This reaks of Apple vs Microsoft.
:rolleyes:

Uh, no. If it does, are you saying that all Apple products are stuck with basically the same hardware from 2007/2008?
Posted on Reply
#9
Jack Doph
entropy13 said:
:rolleyes:

Uh, no. If it does, are you saying that all Apple products are stuck with basically the same hardware from 2007/2008?
Kind Sir, you have missed the point of this entire thread completely.
Posted on Reply
#10
Volkszorn88
Serves them right.

Having faulty discs is the best thing to happen to them. So they can return that shit-game. If the discs didn't crap out, the zzzzzzzzz game would of screwed them over any way.
Posted on Reply
#11
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
MW3 has to be the fastests selling game ever, and the fastest returned game ive ever seen.

There has been a lot of people on fb commenting on IGN posts about MW3 saying the same thing.
Posted on Reply
#12
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Volkszorn88 said:
Serves them right.

Having faulty discs is the best thing to happen to them. So they can return that shit-game. If the discs didn't crap out, the zzzzzzzzz game would of screwed them over any way.
I feel exactly the same way about Skyrim to be honest.
Posted on Reply
#13
entropy13
Jack Doph said:
Kind Sir, you have missed the point of this entire thread completely.
Which is? Don't tell me the point of the thread was that consoles are better than PCs by the virtue of having selling more games than the PC?
Posted on Reply
#14
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
entropy13 said:
Which is? Don't tell me the point of the thread was that consoles are better than PCs by the virtue of having selling more games than the PC?
I think trolling is the point of the thread. Postwhoring too.
Posted on Reply
#15
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
It's what I'll do anyway.
Posted on Reply
#16
DannibusX
Because the wrong version of a game would never, ever be uploaded or distributed through Steam, am I right?

As long as Activision replaces the defective discs with good ones, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Mistakes can be made with anything. I.E. Starcraft 2 accidentally nuking nVidia cards on release, the Xbox developer version of Dead Island being preloaded through Steam, etc.
Posted on Reply
#17
n-ster
DannibusX said:
Because the wrong version of a game would never, ever be uploaded or distributed through Steam, am I right?

As long as Activision replaces the defective discs with good ones, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Mistakes can be made with anything. I.E. Starcraft 2 accidentally nuking nVidia cards on release, the Xbox developer version of Dead Island being preloaded through Steam, etc.
except with digital media, it gets fixed with a patch...

TBH, with this big of a game, shit light this shouldn't happen at all... I understand your point, but I won't give MW3 a pass like that :p
Posted on Reply
#18
DannibusX
I wouldn't give anything a pass like that, but it's a part of anything man made.
Posted on Reply
#19
Jack Doph
entropy13 said:
Which is? Don't tell me the point of the thread was that consoles are better than PCs by the virtue of having selling more games than the PC?
My dear fellow, I've been part of the PC revolution since 1980 - there's no way I'll ever support the whole "console is better than PC" nonsense ever.

All I meant was the gist of Qubit's original post and the subsequent chatter ;)

It simply comes down to my last quote, where one need not lose, but one simply needs to be better, in order to 'win'.
:)
Posted on Reply
#20
imperialreign
Jack Doph said:
It simply comes down to my last quote, where one need not lose, but one simply needs to be better, in order to 'win'.
:)
. . . and that's where the trouble lies . . . the PC has always been better (even going back to the Amiga and C64 vs NES days), at least in terms of hardware capability and all. We've caught up with consoles in terms of ease of use and input controls . . .

. . . there's just a lot of myth, legend, tall-tales and fables being spun by the console community, and they've been doing it for years. Mostly by the youngins who've just gotten their hands on a system for Christmas or a birthday, as 90% of these bed-time stories are fueled by ignorance.

. . . then we get suckered into the trollish debate having to re-iterate for the umpteenth time the flaws in their logic.

Dammit - if everyone were Vulcans, it'd be a helluva lot easier converting the masses . . . they'd realize for themselves that consoles are simply illogical. I mean, look at this mess - how do you fix it for consoles? The PC community would've already found a work-around . . . but then they'd be labeled as hax.

Ya know something . . . I'm just gonna go back to Zork and sit in the dark for a while.
Posted on Reply
#21
Jack Doph
imperialreign said:


Ya know something . . . I'm just gonna go back to Zork and sit in the dark for a while.
I might join you XD
Posted on Reply
#22
ice_v
imperialreign said:
. . . and that's where the trouble lies . . . the PC has always been better (even going back to the Amiga and C64 vs NES days), at least in terms of hardware capability and all. We've caught up with consoles in terms of ease of use and input controls . . .

. . . there's just a lot of myth, legend, tall-tales and fables being spun by the console community, and they've been doing it for years. Mostly by the youngins who've just gotten their hands on a system for Christmas or a birthday, as 90% of these bed-time stories are fueled by ignorance.

. . . then we get suckered into the trollish debate having to re-iterate for the umpteenth time the flaws in their logic.

Dammit - if everyone were Vulcans, it'd be a helluva lot easier converting the masses . . . they'd realize for themselves that consoles are simply illogical. I mean, look at this mess - how do you fix it for consoles? The PC community would've already found a work-around . . . but then they'd be labeled as hax.

Ya know something . . . I'm just gonna go back to Zork and sit in the dark for a while.
can I come too? ...already packed my bags :ohwell:
Posted on Reply
#23
NC37
AsRock said:
Activision cheaping out on the disks ?.. Shame on them if so.
Not the first time or the last. My Halo 3 disc cracked within a few days of using it. Well the inner ring did. Then it prevented it from spinning properly. Thankfully it was replaced without issue.

As for PC vs Console. I admit to being a proud member of the master PC race. But the only times consoles do get better are...on initial hardware launches and the first year or two after that with highlights later thanks to more maturity with the code. Then also on optimizations. But overall...they end up holding back the gaming industry because they insist on getting more years out of an obsolete system. If devs put as much time into the PC version as they do console, we'd see a lot better PC titles once more. Maybe even spurring the industry to move forward. It is because we don't that we have titles like Fable 2&3, Halo Reach, Enslaved, and many others that are clearly crippled due to hardware limitations. But they give squat to the PC which could actually run them in their full glory.

I applaud EA for giving BF3 special PC treatment, even if they rushed it and made a bit of a mess. Then indie devs like Flying Wild Hog that give special attention to the PC. Its time to return to the era where devs actually wanted to make the best product possible. Not widdling down square pegs to fit into round holes of a console.
Posted on Reply
#24
imperialreign
ice_v said:
can I come too? ...already packed my bags :ohwell:
Jack Doph said:
I might join you XD
By all means - it'd at least feel more comfortable with 3 people sitting in the dark . . . I don't recall any instance of a Gru managing to eat 3 people at once . . .

:toast:
Posted on Reply
#25
sy5tem
what what now? who when why ?
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment