Monday, January 2nd 2012

The Most Pirated Games of 2011

Today Kotaku is reporting the top 5 games pirated for major platforms this year according to TorrentFreak. As usual the PC platform is the most guilty almost doubling in pirated copies then its competitors.

Some of the titles listed are not surprising but the lack of a certain title filled with dragon slaying is. Why Skyrim didn't make the top five is anyone's guess. Either Steam is in fact the most user friendly DRM or people just love Skyrim. Either way this is just a small glimpse into the world of pirated software.

Top Five Pirated PC Games

1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000) (March 2011)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000) (November 2011)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000) (October 2011)
4. FIFA 12 (3,390,000) (September 2011)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000) (April 2011)Source: Kotaku

93 Comments on The Most Pirated Games of 2011

freaksavior
To infinity ... and beyond!
Out of that list, I bought portal 2. I liked it. The others I had 0 interest in
_Zod_
Eva01Master said:
Now, on topic: 3MM+ of pirated copies are a lot of losses, but unless the companies developing and publishing games are coming with red numbers they shouldn't bitch about it.
Bolded part = Baseless speculation. To lose something you must be deprived of it. Obviously they couldn't lose anything tangible as these are digital copies and not physical items. Lost sales are impossible to prove. That doesn't mean the law wasn't broken in some places but that varies by country. I'd like to see a breakdown by country and also like to know who's buttcrack these numbers were pulled from.

Edit: Ok it seems these numbers were pulled from someones butt. They used a database of searched terms to somehow translate into downloads. So basically these numbers are completely false.
theJesus
_Zod_ said:
:laugh:

Why not just go on popular torrent sites and look at the number of times each relevant torrent has been downloaded?
_Zod_
theJesus said:
:laugh:

Certainly better than search terms I'll give you that but a lot of sites are private with no way to get the data. Only the dumbest of pirates use public torrent sites.
mlee49
Guys the reason Skyrim isn't on the list is because it came out in NOVEMBER!!! It only existed for 2 months of 2011, the other games have been out much longer. Aswell, Skyrim was anticipated by many and after it came out and got great reviews it paid off(aka people bought it).

I just dont understand why people pirated Portal 2 :confused:
ThatCanadianGuy
I found Crysis 2 to be alot of fun.:D
MW3= :banghead: WHY!?!?!?
BF3 Was Pretty good.
Have never even played FIFA
Portal 2 is awesome.

But of all year i enjoyed Saints Row 3 and the almighty SKYRIM! :respect: the most, and i bought them.
AphexDreamer
mlee49 said:

I just dont understand why people pirated Portal 2 :confused:
It wasn't that amazing... and I'm a huge portal 1 fan. Since I was such a big fan I preordered it, enjoyed it but haven't touched it since :/

You would think since it has online capabilities it would be pirated less, but I guess would still be pirated nonetheless.

Perhaps it is children pirating it? It does seem to appeal to a younger audience to me and pirating isn't hard at all.

MW3 should be pirated it. It's been the exact same thing for a few years now. So has TF2 but they weren't charging for maps and contents till recently (still just weapons they charge for) and they even made the game free to counter that.
freakshow
TheMailMan78 said:
I didnt miss it. IM BROKE. lol
im in the same boat as u brother lol :cry:
INSTG8R
Own them all but FIFA. Just not sports game person at all.
Mindweaver
Moderato®™
I bought Crysis 2, MW3 was bought for me... and I bought BF3. I liked Crysis 2 MP... just to many hackers and BF3 by far is my favorite. My brother gifted me MW3 through Steam... I think i've played it 2 to 3 hours.. It just feels like mw2 and blackops..... This is the first COD i didn't play every waking moment to beat...
iLLz
nvidiaintelftw said:
yes, and you sig is too big. Can't be bigger then 100x500
Yea, sorry about that, I didn't notice that when I posted it up. I have trimmed it down as much as I can so I hope its ok now. I put mad work into coding this SOB, and am pretty proud of how it turned out. Anyone can use it, its dynamic and sorts by best class, medals sort by order last received as well as the ribbons. JSON is a pretty nifty data fetching coding scheme.
theJesus
_Zod_ said:
Well, yeah, but like you said, no real good way to get around that.
mlee49 said:
I may be wrong, but I thought BF3 and MW3 came out right around the same time as Skyrim.
swirl09
I find it interesting how similar the numbers are, tells me there's just a portion of people who really don't want pay for shit.
El_Mayo
I only torrented Portal 2 because it was mainly single player
I'm sure most pirates are the same way
badtaylorx
every pirate caught should have his/her gfx card confiscated and replaced with a gts 430!!!
theJesus
badtaylorx said:
That would be an upgrade for some :p
Widjaja
Never played any of those most pirated games.

Highly unlikely I ever will as they're just not interesting to me.
Mindweaver
Moderato®™
mlee49 said:
Guys the reason Skyrim isn't on the list is because it came out in NOVEMBER!!!
Errr.. MW3 came out Nov 8 and Skyrim came out Nov 11... :p Skyrim is just worth buying... :roll:
AsRock
TPU addict
badtaylorx said:
People caught normally at least loose all computers and laptops involved ( never mind what else they get).
loleafidas
FreedomEclipse said:
IM SORRY

But where is Skyrim on that list???

So you are telling me tha MW3 is better then Skyrim???
People do love war with gun machine n short story, not readin' a Novel, okie?
n we only spend 'bout 12~15 hrs or less for killin' ppl or alien, not makin' conversations n goin' sightseeing day by day with no limit =.=!
Steven B
MatTheCat said:
If you think BF3 SP seemed 'realistic' as though it 'could really happen', then I really do wonder what sort sense of reality you live with. I think that single player shooters based around modern warfare should stick to goofy stories that dont try to take themselves seriously as the alternative is invariably the sort of naff gung-ho right wing US propaganda bullshit that just pisses off anyone with any degree of inteligence whatsoever. BF3 single player very much falls into this category. BF3 MP however was and is fantastic although the fact that the rehashed old maps (B2K) totally wipe the floor with all of the new ones, is quite concerning regarding how DICe intend to progress the series.

As for the list, I both bought and pirated BF3.

I pirated Crysis 2 as I suspected it was going to be shit, it was, and I barely ever played it.

I pirated FIFA 12 cos I am really a Pro Evo Soccer man (which I bought) and I think FIFA is shit and I never played it.

MW3 I never even pirated, I wouldnt even take a legit copy if it was given to me for free.

So as can be seen, most of the time my pirate japes dont mean a lost sale to the publishers. The only time it does mean a lost sale is if compulsory DRM gets in between me and the experience of the game. Thus I never bought Deus Ex HR even though I totally loved that game and this is one of the main reasons I amn't buying Skyrim. Amazing as it is in many respects, Skyrim is nontheless hugely overrated and suffers from a severe dose of US script writing gayness......Gothic/Risen are miles better RPGs.
No i don't think it could be considered as realistic, as far as the story line goes. but the weapons are more modern and realistic, as are some of the scenes, and the game play.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
qubit said:
Hey, I thought you didn't like news stories and threads about piracy, as you love to keep telling me...

I guess it depends on who posts it, huh? ;)
It has nothing to do with who. Its how. ;)