Tuesday, January 17th 2012

Turn Your PC Into A Spam Relay With Mcafee Internet Security Software

It looks like McAfee internet security software has a nice surprise for its unwitting users. Some are finding that their email addresses have been blocked when using the RumorServer Service myAgtSvc.exe, McAfee Peer Distribution Service, which is part of McAfee SaaS Endpoint Protection Suite, previously known as Total Protection Service. c|net reports that the software allows computers to serve as open spam proxies, because the service has been hacked. The Kamaar blog first detected this problem on Jan 4th and reported on it, also giving a workaround to affected customers until McAfee fixes the problem. This problem is somewhat ironic, because the customer would actually be better off without McAfee's help, so it can't be good for the company's reputation. It's also taking them a rather long time fix a serious flaw, which doesn't build confidence in their products.
Add your own comment

10 Comments on Turn Your PC Into A Spam Relay With Mcafee Internet Security Software

#1
Arrakis+9
thumbs up on this one, nice kick in the nuts
Posted on Reply
#2
ice_v
It seems I have some difficulty comprehending this news:

basically if you install McAfee Internet Security on your pc, you help the spamming phenomenon? :confused:
Posted on Reply
#3
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
ice_v said:
It seems I have some difficulty comprehending this news:

basically if you install McAfee Internet Security on your pc, you help the spamming phenomenon? :confused:
Yes, because their damned security service is hacked. Read the source article if you'd like the detailed explanation. :)
Posted on Reply
#4
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
qubit said:
Yes, because their damned security service is hacked. Read the source article if you'd like the detailed explanation. :)
You just said it applies to SaaS Endpoint Protection Suite, which is a different thing than their IS package no?

Also, you don't like McAffe we get it. Get over it and move on.It's not like they are the first company ever to be hacked.
Posted on Reply
#5
Widjaja
Not the first time I have heard of people infiltrating McAfee in some way.

Not reputation lost in my opinion because there was no reputation to lose from my experiences with McAfee software.
Posted on Reply
#6
FordGT90Concept
"I go fast!1!11!1!"
Bet Intel is doing this right about now:
Posted on Reply
#7
djisas
That's why i use NIS, install and forget...
Posted on Reply
#8
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
Frick said:
You just said it applies to SaaS Endpoint Protection Suite, which is a different thing than their IS package no?

Also, you don't like McAffe we get it. Get over it and move on.It's not like they are the first company ever to be hacked.
This SaaS thing just has a different featureset and target market, but it still boils down to "internet security", so that generic description still applies to it.

And they shouldn't take so long to fix a flaw like this. Don't apologize for them. My story has nothing to do with whether I like them or not. A company goofs up, they get the trademark qubit reporting style and humour. ;)
Posted on Reply
#9
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
qubit said:
This SaaS thing just has a different featureset and target market, but it still boils down to "internet security", so that generic description still applies to it.
No it doesn't. Unless both of them are the same thing but they're not. The program affected (Rumor) could be included in other software as well but I don't know if it is, and neither does these people or these people.

Also there's appearently a patch in the works, as your source says at the bottom of her article. Slower than optimum of course, but anything over zero is.
Posted on Reply
#10
qubit
Overclocked quantum bit
Frick said:
No it doesn't. Unless both of them are the same thing but they're not. The program affected (Rumor) could be included in other software as well but I don't know if it is, and neither does these people or these people.

Also there's appearently a patch in the works, as your source says at the bottom of her article. Slower than optimum of course, but anything over zero is.
I think you just like arguing.
Posted on Reply