Thursday, April 26th 2012

AMD Gains CPU Market Share at Intel's Expense in Q1

AMD gained CPU market share at Intel's expense in the first-quarter of 2012, according to the latest data by Mercury Research. Intel's CPU market share dropped from 81 percent last quarter, to 80.2 percent, while AMD's rose from 18.2 percent to 19.1 percent. Principal analyst at Mercury Research, Dean McCarron said that AMD benefited from improvements in hard drive supplies. AMD is strong in desktop processors, with 43 percent of the market, the same as last year. Customers also opted for lower-priced laptops, many of which had AMD's chips. Supplies of AMD's A-series chips code-named Llano were restored after manufacturing issues were resolved, McCarron said.

Source: PCWorld
Add your own comment

47 Comments on AMD Gains CPU Market Share at Intel's Expense in Q1

#1
omagic
Well, I run a small hardware shop in Poland and I see this a little different than some of You.
If I sell 10 PC's 8-9 of them are under 600$ and maybe 7-8 are built with AMD Cpu... Price really does matter! Also 7/10 pc's have Radeon graphics... It changes when we take the pc's above 600$ but mainstream counts most. Mostly people say that if they want to play games it is better to buy an AMD and lose like 5fps to the Intel Cpu but saved money spend on graphics which will give them 20fps more...
Posted on Reply
#2
theoneandonlymrk
Halk said:
Shows how disconnected us enthusiasts really are... All we're concerned about is the high end stuff to the point where we don't notice what else is going on. We're all lamenting the lack of AMD competition
speak for yaself:p
Posted on Reply
#3
baggpipes
So with the desktop market gaining ground i would be worried if i were Intel fanboy. I mean both nextgen consoles are going to be AMD powered thats gotta be alot of money right there. Not to mention the APU market cornering the low end laptop market. AMD might be creeping up on the blue mans groups....
Posted on Reply
#4
TheGuruStud
baggpipes said:
So with the desktop market gaining ground i would be worried if i were Intel fanboy. I mean both nextgen consoles are going to be AMD powered thats gotta be alot of money right there. Not to mention the APU market cornering the low end laptop market. AMD might be creeping up on the blue mans groups....
Can you imagine how rabid intel was years ago from thunderbird through the athlon 64 era? The amount of illegal activities was off the charts. Only intel could force AMD to LOSE tons of market with the best product of the time
(athlon 64).

They're cowards, like most corps in that position. They claim to be the best, but can't even compete (to this day) with a comparatively tiny company without resorting to outright cheating. Pathetic.
Posted on Reply
#5
Easy Rhino
Linux Advocate
the global economy is pure sh!t and people are finally asking themselves, " why do i need all of the added horsepower of an intel chip when all i do is check e-mail and screw around on facebook?"
Posted on Reply
#6
Super XP
GenTarkin said:
I wonder how much AMD gets from all the console stuff they OEM. I mean, the entire next generation of consoles will be mostly AMD powered w/ both CPU's and GPU's
They stand to make a ton of money in those deals. It's said the PS4 will use high powered AMD based APU's and the XBOX 720 to use AMD graphics and IBM CPU's. Let's not forget about Nintendo's WiiU too :)
Posted on Reply
#7
HumanSmoke
WhiteLotus said:
Do you mean like prebuilt computers by Dell and the like?
That is what I mean, perhaps I am getting my terms wrong.
OEM sales (Dell, HP, Acer etc) are undeniably a large and important market sector- the downside is that OEM's don't pay anywhere near the same price the consumer pays by virtue of buying in bulk. Add in the fact that AMD's CPU/APU's have a much lower average selling price than Intel and precentages don't mean a whole lot.

AMD is going to need to sell vast quantities of Llano/Trinity/Brazos style chips to even make a modest gain revenue in relation to Intel, simply because Xeon has the high margin workstation/pro/x86 HPC pretty much sewn up, and Intel wont stand idly by without making a move down into ULV CPU's. So AMD have chosen their battleground as the "good enough" system level...which looks increasingly like they will be fighting a two-front war against Intel and ARM.
Super XP said:
They stand to make a ton of money in those [console] deals.
AMD have been in the same position before. Somehow the management always seems to turn a potential profit into a loss.
Posted on Reply
#8
eidairaman1
Its the way the parts are marketed, If AMD launches a killer chip they should advertise them on TV, Plus advertise the platforms aka the APUs. Most people still get Ads through TV. Military in actuality goes for best bang for buck for regular user terminals. AMD is only really making anything important in the server field currently

HumanSmoke said:
OEM sales (Dell, HP, Acer etc) are undeniably a large and important market sector- the downside is that OEM's don't pay anywhere near the same price the consumer pays by virtue of buying in bulk. Add in the fact that AMD's CPU/APU's have a much lower average selling price than Intel and precentages don't mean a whole lot.

AMD is going to need to sell vast quantities of Llano/Trinity/Brazos style chips to even make a modest gain revenue in relation to Intel, simply because Xeon has the high margin workstation/pro/x86 HPC pretty much sewn up, and Intel wont stand idly by without making a move down into ULV CPU's. So AMD have chosen their battleground as the "good enough" system level...which looks increasingly like they will be fighting a two-front war against Intel and ARM.

AMD have been in the same position before. Somehow the management always seems to turn a potential profit into a loss.
Posted on Reply
#9
NdMk2o1o
WhiteLotus said:
Do you mean like prebuilt computers by Dell and the like?

That is what I mean, perhaps I am getting my terms wrong.
Server space ;)
Posted on Reply
#10
Jonap_1st
Zubasa said:
More importantly Intel makes a shit ton of money while AMD does not.
well, a few millions of dollar is still a shit ton of money.. :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#11
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Im surprised as well but that still is a modest gain. I like what they are doing. They offer good price to performance even if it isn't like back in the thunderbird days and they do it well. Of course Id like to see them move onto to new fab technologies and wafer yields like Intel does but I assume that will come in time. Just stay profitable, finally get back or actually DO some nice R&D and bring something good out.

As for the mobile market, Intel has some phones out that sip power and are competing with ARM in that regards and seems to be doing fine. If AMD can squeeze trinity, brazos, or llano down to that size with their SoC with gPU and cPU combined and a great power envelope, they could do well in that segment.
Posted on Reply
#12
Zubasa
Jonap_1st said:
well, a few millions of dollar is still a shit ton of money.. :rolleyes:
When you are talking a company which is now AMD+ATi a few millions really isn't.
Posted on Reply
#13
damric
I always see AMD in most of the prebuilts at Walmart.
Posted on Reply
#14
Jonap_1st
Zubasa said:
When you are talking a company which is now AMD+ATi a few millions really isn't.
when you think intel as the giant-leading company on cpu market, take a small gain or "a few million dollars" from them can be still considered as a good improvement..
Posted on Reply
#15
baggpipes
damric said:
I always see AMD in most of the prebuilts at Walmart.
This is why AMD is making ground... You think the average consumer cares how to build your own?
Posted on Reply
#16
sykozis
NdMk2o1o said:
No offense but you need to stop beating the same drum, evey single one of your posts you are one of the first to jump in and defend AMD. I'm sure Intel really need to be worried considering they have 80% marketshare. AMD never have nor will have (by the looks of it) anywhere near the same kind of R+D or marketing resources as Intel to make that leap.
AMD will never overtake Intel in the CPU market itself....but it's very possible for AMD to overtake Intel in the desktop segment alone. It won't be any time soon.....but it's still a possibility.
Posted on Reply
#17
de.das.dude
Pro Indian Modder
blibba said:
This is a huge surprise to me. I haven't even seen an AMD desktop for sale in the UK in a year or two. Intel have all the major OEM contracts, and people who build their own are all buying Intel now too. Who are these 43%?
smartasses like me :p

i have myself built 3 AMD desktops in the last year :D
Posted on Reply
#18
eidairaman1
de.das.dude said:
smartasses like me :p

i have myself built 3 AMD desktops in the last year :D
and that right there is anti competitive business practice in the UK
Posted on Reply
#19
de.das.dude
Pro Indian Modder
eidairaman1 said:
and that right there is anti competitive business practice in the India
correction ;)


i do intel after the budget is enough to accomodate an i5 2500k and a 6850 :)
Posted on Reply
#20
eidairaman1
de.das.dude said:
correction ;)


i do intel after the budget is enough to accomodate an i5 2500k and a 6850 :)
i wouldnt even bother with 1155, Skt AM3+ or 2011 is the way to go
Posted on Reply
#21
ensabrenoir
damric said:
I always see AMD in most of the prebuilts at Walmart.
Yes flooding the market with cheap one year lasting junk.........which I get to fix.....so its a love hate thing I guess
Posted on Reply
#22
eidairaman1
ensabrenoir said:
Yes flooding the market with cheap one year lasting junk.........which I get to fix.....so its a love hate thing I guess
The ones I was working with by HP have been running for 3+ years now as a regular terminal, plus they finally upgraded to Windows 7
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment