Tuesday, September 25th 2012

FarCry 3 PC System Requirements Released, Always-Online DRM Scrapped for Campaign

The incredible tropical-paradise visuals we were treated to in trailers of FarCry 3 called for some serious hardware muscle. The studio released minimum, recommended, and high-performance system requirements lists for the upcoming AAA title. The lists are quite accommodating of today's mid-range hardware, but can be quite demanding of PCs more than 2 years old. It was also announced that the game will implement a revised Uplay DRM scheme that needs a one-time activation, and doesn't require you to stay logged-in when playing the single-player campaign.

The system requirements lists follow.

Minimum System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 or AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ dual-core
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512 MB with DirectX 9.0c
  • Memory: 4 GB
Recommended System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 or equivalent quad-core
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 or equivalent 1 GB DirectX 11 graphics
  • Memory: 4 GB
High-Performance System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K or AMD FX-4150 or equivalent quad-core
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 or equivalent DirectX 11 graphics
  • Memory: 8 GB
Source: Shacknews
Add your own comment

59 Comments on FarCry 3 PC System Requirements Released, Always-Online DRM Scrapped for Campaign

#1
mediasorcerer
Oh hooray you can play offline, thats a winner in my book, about time too, maybe they are listening after all, i loved the first far cry, i still laugh when i think of the scene where you could sneak up and release the tridents out of there cages on your enemies haha, cant wait for this !!!

thanx for update ~g1,
Posted on Reply
#2
tacosRcool
This game looks amazing! Good thing my computer is high end! Another great thing is that Ubisoft is a little less evil to its PAYING customers.
Posted on Reply
#3
HossHuge
Is there a particular resolution standard for each requirement?

for example;

1440*900 Minimum

1920*1080 Recommended

2560x1440 High-Performance
Posted on Reply
#4
Recus
renz496 said:
i like the idea about the gpu maker working closely with game dev to optimize the performance on their hardware but honestly i don't like the story when the dev already sponsored by company A it will shut it doors to work with company B. (like the one happen with that holy Batman game lol).


When high end GPU/CPU running like mainstream is good thing... Not.
Posted on Reply
#5
renz496
to be honest i don't believe it that 480 will only perform on par with 5770 in this game. i'm looking forward to official bench on this game when it comes out this december
Posted on Reply
#6
3870x2
There is a lot of buzz about system requirements.

I stopped looking at specs since 2004, since then they were mostly irrelevant.

A 680 is required, but if you turn AA off, or lower shadows, you can run pretty close to max settings with an 8800GTX.

Some things are very resource intensive compared to others, if you can learn to tweak your settings you won't be missing much with lower end hardware.
Posted on Reply
#8
raptori
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K , LOL @ the "K" .
Posted on Reply
#9
johnnyfiive
Cool. Now lets focus on the important factor in this title. If its anything like FarCry 2, I'm going to blow a fuse.

IT BETTER NOT SUCK LIKE FC2. <---
Posted on Reply
#10
3870x2
johnnyfiive said:
Cool. Now lets focus on the important factor in this title. If its anything like FarCry 2, I'm going to blow a fuse.

IT BETTER NOT SUCK LIKE FC2. <---
Never played, but from what I hear, the problem with FC2 is that it had very annoying tendencies like respawning enemies and such.

Other than that, it could have been an alright game.
Posted on Reply
#11
johnnyfiive
3870x2 said:
Never played, but from what I hear, the problem with FC2 is that it had very annoying tendencies like respawning enemies and such.

Other than that, it could have been an alright game.
That, and a lot of other annoyances. One of them being, having to randomly give yourself medicine because you have malaria... :confused:
Posted on Reply
#12
RejZoR
The fact that they are pushing their Uplay junk is a good enough reason not to buy this game... we don't need hundreds of idiotic clients. Get it Ubi? Steam was the first and i won't complain. But everyone else are just "me too" in a hope to lock users to their crap. Thanks but no thanks.
Posted on Reply
#13
D007
Lmao the 680 on high end requirements list.. That's what I call futureprofing a game for graphics.. Be able to play it in years and think "Dam this game still looks great"..

UBI's Drm is horrendous though.
Anyone who has experienced ubi's drm issues knows how bad it gets..
Ever played any of the silent hunter games?
You have no idea.. Ubi will just give up and offer absolutely NO support if they just plain don't feel like it..
I have no respect for that business model..
Posted on Reply
#14
yapchagi
they didn't say how much VRAM needed for high settings requirement. Only recommended settings needs 1 GB VRAM there.
Posted on Reply
#15
Ikaruga
2600K would not even feel the load where the FX-4150 maxes out, what kind of gibberish is this (perhaps they meant 8150?)
With the native resolution of today's monitors, most of the games are tend to be GPU bond anyway, and there is no way on earth that a "proper" code would run equal or faster on a HD-5770 than how it would run on a GTX-480.
Either there are some serious slowdowns on Nvidia cards, or the person who wrote this had absolutely no idea about GPUs whatsoever.
Posted on Reply
#16
xorbe
johnnyfiive said:
That, and a lot of other annoyances. One of them being, having to randomly give yourself medicine because you have malaria... :confused:
They were trying to have some "realistic" aspects (and advertised that too) but yah they overlooked the part where people generally like fun more than realism when it comes to gaming. Supposedly the team actually spent some time on the savannah, but goodness knows how stretched that "fact" is. Of course, entire camps of enemies respawning if you step 0.1mm too far is not exactly realistic ... and don't forget "Far Cry 2: Vehicle Repair for Dummies!"

Oh, and people are going way too crazy here about some probably highly arbitrary suggested specs that got slapped on the box.
Posted on Reply
#17
xenocide
joyman said:
Perhaps the game engine uses instruction set that is present on Bulldozer architecture and not on Sandy Bridge, like XOP and FMA4, because no matter how well threaded it is 4150 is 2 modules(4 cores if we take them as cores) and this is nowhere more threads as 2600k.
It would be absolutely suicidal to code a game for Instruction Sets that are present only on the minority companies CPU's. It's one thing to optimize a game for AMD or Nvidia GPU's because the split is rather even, but optimizing for AMD CPU's by using Instruction Sets exclusive to them when Intel represents a much larger portion of the market is insane. Hell, I'd be amazed if anyone could find a single benchmark where the FX-4150 is on par for the i7-2600K...
Posted on Reply
#18
KissSh0t
I might consider buying Ubisoft games again since they have scrapped the always on DRM, I haven't bought any of their games for years now because of how they chose to treat PC gamers.
Posted on Reply
#19
Prima.Vera
KissSh0t said:
I might consider buying Ubisoft games again since they have scrapped the always on DRM, I haven't bought any of their games for years now because of how they chose to treat PC gamers.
To much fuss about this DRM. Just look at Diablo 3...
Posted on Reply
#20
Bjorn_Of_Iceland
Prima.Vera said:
To much fuss about this DRM. Just look at Diablo 3...
Diablo 3 gets content updates, mp coop, and secure spot on a centralized server for your character data. Its an always on in the first place, because the mechanics requires you to be always on. Just like why mmorpgs are always on. Having an always on drm for singleplayer FPS that would stay the same forever is nonsensical and annoying
Posted on Reply
#21
Completely Bonkers
code:

{if cpu=amd goto moar
do loop wait}
:moar
{if gpu=amd goto evenmoar
do loop wait}
:evenmore
...gamecode

Posted on Reply
#22
Prima.Vera
Bjorn_Of_Iceland said:
Diablo 3 gets content updates, mp coop, and secure spot on a centralized server for your character data. Its an always on in the first place, because the mechanics requires you to be always on. Just like why mmorpgs are always on. Having an always on drm for singleplayer FPS that would stay the same forever is nonsensical and annoying
No, is not like any other MMO. MMO are only online. In D3 even if I choose solo gaming, I still have to log online. No net, no D3... Ring a bell?
Posted on Reply
#23
xenocide
Prima.Vera said:
No, is not like any other MMO. MMO are only online. In D3 even if I choose solo gaming, I still have to log online. No net, no D3... Ring a bell?
He's referring to the fact that it has always-on DRM by design. They store character data on servers so it cannot be compromised (by legitimate players or hackers) and constantly stream updates to the game which add bug fixes, balance changes, and content. Far Cry 3 has no reason to be always on because it needs exactly none of those things.
Posted on Reply
#24
Live OR Die
Cool i should be able to smash High-Performance :toast:
Posted on Reply
#25
joyman
xenocide said:
It would be absolutely suicidal to code a game for Instruction Sets that are present only on the minority companies CPU's. It's one thing to optimize a game for AMD or Nvidia GPU's because the split is rather even, but optimizing for AMD CPU's by using Instruction Sets exclusive to them when Intel represents a much larger portion of the market is insane. Hell, I'd be amazed if anyone could find a single benchmark where the FX-4150 is on par for the i7-2600K...
I cannot agree with you on this. With the fact that AMD will dominate in the next console generation - almost in all brands it is not suicidal, but in fact very smart move. Porting to PC will become very easy and straightforward.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment