Tuesday, October 9th 2012

Call of Duty Under Religious Fire

All the turmoil in the middle east seems to be overflowing into the world of video games. Shack News has reported that the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 map 'Favela' and the re-release of 'Favela' in a Modern Warfare 3 DLC has been pulled from normal rotation for a texture "mishap" that quotes the phrase "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty,". This isn't an inflammatory remark in unto itself. However the phrase's location in the level itself has been called into question. Some people apparently found it offensive that Allah was mentioned in a picture frame located in the level's bathroom.

To avoid any backlash from the Muslim community Infinity Ward promptly pulled the level and is scouring the rest of the game for the texture to be patched out in the near future. "We apologize to anyone who found this image offensive," Activision said in a statement. "Please be assured we were unaware of this issue and that there was no intent to offend." Activision also said, "Activision and our development studios are respectful of diverse cultures and religious beliefs, and sensitive to concerns raised by its loyal game players. We thank our fans for bringing this to our attention." and our development studios are respectful of diverse cultures and religious beliefs, and sensitive to concerns raised by its loyal game players. We thank our fans for bringing this to our attention."

Source: Shacknews

111 Comments on Call of Duty Under Religious Fire

Animalpak
and they realize it only now?...
D4S4
trickson said:
Play nice this thread will get closed fast. This is about a game. Now God is laughing!
i know i know but stuff like this gets me pretty infuriated, i hate biggotry. all the cursing has a point here, if one biggot reads this, cursing gets the message through his skull and he sees the light i wouldn't feel bad even about getting permabanned. :toast:

this thread is most likely getting nuked anyways.
Rahmat Sofyan

D4S4 said:
he has a point there. muslims behave like fucking fanatics. muslim minority wants to build a mosque in europe? everything's cool. christian minority want to build a church in (i forgot where, some hc islamic country, i read about it in the papers recently... brain fart)? BURN THEM!!!
I guess that's in my country Indonesia right?

ahh dude, I wish I can explain you about that... but for your info there is an act from our Ulama and MUI about that, and they've meet each other. as far as I know, the solution was good but unfortunately it's very sensitive if I say why that thing happen and I think have no right to tell it, because I'm worry what if I'm wrong how to say it.:o
trickson
OH, I have such a headache
Any time you put politics or religion in any thing nothing good can come of it. This is just not the place for this thread. WE have to agree to disagree at some point and try to co-exist as one. This means every one!
FreedomEclipse
~Technological Technocrat~
This has gotten way out of hand.

While the devs who worked on this game probably put the picture in the toilet for a laugh and made a bet to see if anyone would ever see it let alone pay attention long enough to read it, I believe that insulting Islam was probably the last thing on their minds.

This is the 21st century, we all say that we are more civilised but it takes only a small minority to ruin it for everyone.

as much as I think EVERYONE deserves respect firstly as a fellow human being. there are races and cultures that dont see it this way.

We have come far since the dark ages. I am in no position to tell people what to do but as much as i respect everyones religions, cultures and races equally. I have to say that I think that the Islamic community needs to calm down a little. Did not the Prophet Mohammed and Allah preach forgiveness Just like any faith or religion.

my only wish is for people to get along and not hold so much animosity against each other.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
sergionography said:
Im muslim myself, and I sure do not appreciate this, and if it was a cross instead of this frame I wouldnt appreciate it either. however I sure wont go out of my way to defend christianity because its not my faith, thats up to christians to do and I sure wont blame them if they do(offcourse aslong as its in good manners and without crossing anyone elses boundaries just like this video).
its funny all i see in this thread is question marks, now to clear things up for people to maybe understand is that us muslims feel stronger about our religion than race/culture/nationality so when you offend our religion its like offending an african person about his color, now whether you find this ridiculous or not is up to you, but thats how strong we feel about islam, therefore comparing us with other religions probably isnt a fair comparison

on another note im studying digital design/video game modeling and i know very well how much work is put in to design models for games, so i hardly think it was an accident designing the frame, however unless this is the only place its found in the game(which i hightly doubt) then we can say its intentional, otherwise its probably just randomly placed in there from the cod library.
Christians complain all the time. No one listens. The difference is there is no perceived threat of violence. Most Christians simply don't buy the game if they find it offensive.....as I believe most Muslims will do the same. However don't think for a second Activision is doing it to please moderate Muslims. They are doing it because they don't wanna get blown up by the dumb asses looking for an excuse to attack a western establishment. Islam is irrelevant to Activision. Its the fear they have of extremists.
trickson
OH, I have such a headache
Activision is scared shitless now! Retract!!!! Retract!!!!! Will fix this! Hold on people! We are sorry! The joke is on them really. They knew and they know they knew!
TheMailMan78
Big Member
trickson said:
I doubt they knew. I bet some artist typed in "Muslim picture frame" into google images and found a picture. Made a texture and uploaded it to the server having NO IDEA what it says.
trickson
OH, I have such a headache
TheMailMan78 said:
Perhaps.
NC37
Yet they can do whatever they want to Christians and face no backlash. Heh, such a double standard in the world because one will go on a rampage at the first sign of offense. Who cares...let them riot and get mad, kill their own people. Grow a backbone world. We spend far too much time worrying about offending everyone. Specially about those who don't do the same. They don't obsess about offending us. We've long since taken up the "Don't tread on me," welcome mat and put out the "Tread on me harder!" welcome mat. Super M!! heh
trickson
OH, I have such a headache
NC37 said:
Agreed. :rockout:
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
NC37 said:
On the other hand, if all it takes is the removal of some texture... I get that it's the point that counts, but still.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
treehouse said:

it is wrong that a minority of muslims go crazy when their religion is made fun off BUT it is wrong because common sense tells us so. the fact that christian fundamentalists are hardly heard off should not dictate the righteousness/wrongness of muslim fundamentalists.
Ah ok. Now I understand. No I agree with you. I'm not saying any one religion is better then another. What I am saying is the threat of violence under ANY mask shouldn't be tolerated. However Activision is caving to a single youtube video under a presumed violence by a few people who hide behind the vail of religion. My point is they should do it for ALL religious material if they do it for one. But they won't and the more people cave to that presumed violence the stronger and more validated the extremists will get.

Do I agree with the texture? No. But you pull that texture you better be ready to pull ANYTHING offensive to ANYONE.
Phusius
so many have died cause of these religious leaders, fuck it bro, let this hottie dance on top of me crank some music and drink some coke and rum, ftw :toast:
the54thvoid
Damn,
there goes my Allah Wake franchise.

But seriously, any publisher needs to be very careful what they put out especially when there is a modicum of stereotyping involved.

I'm sure a game that portrayed a Priest as a Paedo would make the Vatican a bit angry. Or something that portrayed Jesus in a controversial way. NO wait, we had Temptation of the Christ. And also the 'Life of Brian' was banned in Ireland. Christians react this way too you know. Religion is such a nuisance when it comes to freedom of speech.

Game developers should leave religious connotations out of games period. Unless they have the balls to follow through with their production.

People of any belief are prone to get pissed at something.
Binge
Overclocking Surrealism
Maybe this has been addressed earlier? I skimmed but I'm seeing a lot of f-bombs being dropped and they seem to be dropping out of frustration. Could we calm down the language? There's no need to be f-ing all over a topic that has swayed to people's beliefs. As much as I recommend leaving spiritualism @[USER=131635]home[/USER] that's no reason to bring out the nasty stuff in a discussion where we should be respectful.
Dj-ElectriC
I don't wanna live on this planet anymore. This is getting ridicules. I can already barely can go to sleep knowing that there are so many stupid people living on this planet.
omnimodis78
But it's OK for arabs to fly planes into buildings in the name of allah...or is it ahmed, muhamad sorry what's the guy's name they keep killing people for (including their own)?

Ok that was the most ignorant comment I've ever written but I just had to. Sorry.
happita
TheMailMan78 said:
Its the fear they have of extremists.
Negative.

It's the fear of getting $20,000,000 profit vs. $50,000,000 profit. Not that I'm saying it could shift all that way, but even a possibility of losing a few thousand worth of profit is what scares companies like Activision.
If Activision actually did see the future and saw that if they didn't release a statement apologizing it wouldn't affect them in the slightest, I guarantee they wouldn't have any qualms about leaving it in the game.
trickson
OH, I have such a headache
omnimodis78 said:

Yes is was very ignorant. We can forgive you.
Vinska
TheMailMan78 said:
Its cowardice. No. Activation is just scared they will get blown up if they do not bow down to threats.
No, they are afraid of The Man. While The Man is afraid to loose ratings for "not stopping terrorism while before it got big enough to bomb us taxpayers". This might sound cynical, but please, give it some thought.
(I hope You guys will correctly interpret what I mean by "The Man".)

Rahmat Sofyan said:
Yup, because that's name of God of One religion
'cept that it's not. I won't go into details myself, 'cause others already did a pretty good job in it here Allah on Wikipedia
Especially the third sentence in the article and these paragraphs: usage in Christianity and usage in Judasim

We need an emoticon for "mind blown" here.
Steevo
happita said:
If we met at a bar, the night wouldn't end well for either of us. If you come at me spitting out hate speech about whatever race or religion that I happen to be apart of, I'm going to go through the 3-step calmdown program with you. 1st time, I ask nicely for the person to stop. 2nd time, I ask again nicely for the person to stop. 3rd time, I become intimidating, almost provoking in a sense that I let you know that I will fight for my race/religion. I am free to write/say/do whatever I want as well. Just be sure to accept any consequences of the actions you take.

I don't think something of this nature can be called an "accident". On any given COD game, I could only IMAGINE how many people put their time into making a game of such large proportions. In ALL of those people, you tell me nobody who worked on that game KNEW what they were doing when they put that tasteless text/image in the bathroom? I don't know.
So to prove that Muslims are OK with the rest of the world and secure the first thing they do is to threaten others. Good job.

If you can't take the heat stay out the kitchen. Even if it were intentional, who cares besides a few people who need to grow up anyway? Religion is a personal choice, and I for one feel it should be kept that way, no more any religion favored over any other.
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Vinska said:
(I hope You guys will correctly interpret what I mean by "The Man".)

We need an emoticon for "mind blown" here.
I know what you are saying......lol. I agree kinda. Still screw "The Man". :laugh:
TheGuruStud
Why are we changing things for the mentally handicapped?

Absurd.