Saturday, October 7th 2017

German Company to Sell Binned Core i7 8700K With 99.9% Silver Heatspreader

For those users who thought they'd like some silver with their Intel, german webshop Caseking has a product for you. The company has taken the binning concept that we've already seen with other webshops, which pass the onus of the silicon lottery towards themselves, and taken it to the next level. Caseking will offer Core i7 8700K products that have not only been binned towards achieving guaranteed speeds of 5 GHz, 5.1 GHz and 5.2 GHz, but they're also retrofitting these binned 8700K processors with a 99.9% purity silver heatspreader to improve operating temperatures for these guaranteed-overclocking processors.
Caseking is basically testing batches of i7 8700K processors, delidding them, and then applying Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut liquid metal thermal grease and the aforementioned silver heatspreader to improve operating temperatures as much as they can be. The company is doing this in partnership with overclocking poster child der8auer, and brands the silver IHS with both Caseking's and Der8auer's logo. The silver heatspreader versions of the Core i7 8700K are being sold as the Ultra Edition, and Caseking are asking a hefty premium for their binned CPUs: €690 will get you an 8700K that is guaranteed to clock up to 5.0 GHz, €750 will guarantee 5.1 GHz, and the premium of premiums (for now, we'd imagine) 5.2 GHz overclockable processor will cost €870.
These are some hefty, hefty price premiums to be sure; however, the company really is taking many risks out of their prospective buyer's hands, in that they not only won't have to bet on the silicon lottery to get some good results, but also won't have to run the risk of delidding their six-core Intel CPU. There's also an Advanced Edition (stock heatspreader with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) and a Pro Edition (Niquel-plated heatspreader with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) available, for lower prices than the silver options.Sources: Caseking, via Guru 3D
Add your own comment

107 Comments on German Company to Sell Binned Core i7 8700K With 99.9% Silver Heatspreader

#1
Durvelle27
Doesn’t seem worth it to me

I rather take my chances for half the cost
Posted on Reply
#2
blobster21
I'll just pretend i didn't read this. Anything with the derbrowner trademark can be safely ignored.
Posted on Reply
#3
diatribe
I may be interested in one of those heatspreaders for my our CPU.
Posted on Reply
#4
RejZoR
I remember I've paid tiny premium for a D0 stepping of Core i7 920 back in the day. It was like 20€ premium, but it was worth it imo.

Main question her is, why doesn't Intel use top of the line thermal compound and charge I don't know, 15€ more? Surely such tiny premium would still give them massive profit margin on each CPU (where they use cheap generic crap and charge nothing extra for it) while giving users better thermals than with crappy generic paste.

I mean, people don't realize that what Intel is doing is essentially causing you to effectively use 2 layers of thermal compound. The more of this crap you stack, the worse things are. Back in the day of 25W and 60W top end CPU's it didn't even matter. But now with 6+ cores and really high clocks, every little matters. Not to mention heatspreaders came later, in the beginning all CPU's were "delided" from factory. They all had direct contact with the cooler.
Posted on Reply
#5
P4-630
The Way It's Meant to be Played
Where are the ones with golden heatspreaders? :p:D
I may have to wait a liitle longer then....:ohwell:
Posted on Reply
#6
Vayra86
Yup this convinces me not to take Der8auer seriously anymore. He is marketing and commercializing his own blog and activities, this has zero to do with running a good business. Its taking advantage of gullible fools.

Basically by launching this, you can't trust him anymore; anything he says about delidding now will be to further his own product. This was already the case; but this shop is proof.
Posted on Reply
#7
Tsukiyomi91
why "derbauer".... after his publicity stunt on the Core i9 + high VRM temps that got debunked, I doubt ppl will spend 700 Euros for a binned chip with his name on it... Rather let RNGezus decide my silicon luck.
Posted on Reply
#8
R0H1T
Vayra86 said:
Yup this convinces me not to take Der8auer seriously anymore. He is marketing and commercializing his own blog and activities, this has zero to do with running a good business. Its taking advantage of gullible fools.

Basically by launching this, you can't trust him anymore; anything he says about delidding now will be to further his own product. This was already the case; but this shop is proof.
Maybe I'm wrong, or perhaps not, but what does Der8auer being an employee has anything to do with this? Don't hardware vendors, mobo makers et al employ enthusiasts to show case their products, sure he might be promoting Caseking but being an employee that's like an unwritten rule.
Posted on Reply
#9
Vayra86
R0H1T said:
Maybe I'm wrong, or perhaps not, but what does Der8auer being an employee has anything to do with this? Don't hardware vendors, mobo makers et al employ enthusiasts to show case their products, sure he might be promoting Caseking but being an employee that's like an unwritten rule.
He's seen as the delidding expert and people watch his stuff like its gospel. Then they come on this forum and on every Intel CPU release we get five pages of complaints about TIM, even though 95% of those people are way too scared to delid anyway or concludes its another shit CPU because it runs at 5 Ghz on a high temperature (within spec limits). The guy feeds a hype to sell the tools to get in on it. Meanwhile, all you get is 100-200 mhz in clocks, for twice the price of the CPU.

The whole business model oozes taking advantage of people's stupidity. Let's not forget - not only do you overspend on a mainstream CPU for performance you'll probably never really use or need, but you also void your warranty along the way.

99,9% silver heatspreader... lmao. This is entering territory of audiophile audio cables crafted by elves in moonlight.

There is a distinct difference between an enthusiast that does his own delid and his own OC and likes to share his skills and knowledge, to someone who markets it as a product. The first guy is someone I can admire and learn from, the second is simply untrustworthy and leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I don't know, it just happens.

Meanwhile, everyone is all focused on the high temps on a 5.1 Ghz 8700k... but have you seen the i5??? It runs 15 C cooler at 5.2... Pretty impressive.
Posted on Reply
#10
brian111
R0H1T said:
Maybe I'm wrong, or perhaps not, but what does Der8auer being an employee has anything to do with this? Don't hardware vendors, mobo makers et al employ enthusiasts to show case their products, sure he might be promoting Caseking but being an employee that's like an unwritten rule.
Careful mister! Reasonable counters to snap judgements can confuse the internets.
Posted on Reply
#11
RejZoR
Der8auer is not just "deliding" expert. He's well known in the hardcore overclocking scene. He's even featured in ASUS RealBench multitasking video.
Posted on Reply
#12
noel_fs
i'd like the idea of only 99.99 silver paste without being binned
Posted on Reply
#13
theoneandonlymrk
Vayra86 said:
Yup this convinces me not to take Der8auer seriously anymore. He is marketing and commercializing his own blog and activities, this has zero to do with running a good business. Its taking advantage of gullible fools.

Basically by launching this, you can't trust him anymore; anything he says about delidding now will be to further his own product. This was already the case; but this shop is proof.
I personally don't mind him comercializing his skills but i absolutely would have no part in buying such price exagerated tat, id rather spend the extra money on cooling.
And any one i heard buying one would be emediately binned in the idiot bin buy me personally, i can see some buying one, I've a mate whos probably daft enough, id love him to buy one , that would be a good laugh.
And personally im loving that 5ghz is now a thing for intel ,and required by intel to push their chips that far to compete ,i still remember how shit 5ghz was when intel couldn't do it , now its cool again.
Posted on Reply
#14
efikkan
So they are selling binned i7-8700K for a premium, and where do they find all these binned CPUs? Does anyone seriously think that they buy hundreds of CPUs just to pick a few to sell at a premium? What do they do with the 95% of the chips that don't meet this criteria?

Something tells me that these are not really binned at all.
Posted on Reply
#15
theoneandonlymrk
efikkan said:
So they are selling binned i7-8700K for a premium, and where do they find all these binned CPUs? Does anyone seriously think that they buy hundreds of CPUs just to pick a few to sell at a premium? What do they do with the 95% of the chips that don't meet this criteria?

Something tells me that these are not really binned at all.
Good point and truly the kicker for me, they can't open consumer boxes then sell as new so their best avenue is their non price uplifted general pcs.
I would not buy a 8700k general system off them now as it's those chips that are most likely the shit binned chips, they Did have to test them but they then garunteed their non der8haur rated systems have definitely got shit chips in , how else could they do it.
Posted on Reply
#16
Vya Domus
Vayra86 said:

The whole business model oozes taking advantage of people's stupidity. Let's not forget - not only do you overspend on a mainstream CPU for performance you'll probably never really use or need, but you also void your warranty along the way.
Stupidity or not , people will buy these. There aren't many willing to spend such a high amount of cash on this but enough to empty their stock.


Vayra86 said:

Meanwhile, everyone is all focused on the high temps on a 5.1 Ghz 8700k... but have you seen the i5??? It runs 15 C cooler at 5.2... Pretty impressive.
I don't find that impressive at all , of course the i5 runs cooler , it doesn't have HT. HT simply assures a higher level of utilization of the execution resources the CPU has. No HT = less utilization = less heat even though technically both CPUs have the same raw power.
Posted on Reply
#17
jabbadap
Durvelle27 said:
Doesn’t seem worth it to me

I rather take my chances for half the cost
Well those high cost binned ones might be hard to sell. But do note you get 2 years warranty with these, compared to null when you are de-lidding processor by yourself.
Posted on Reply
#18
Vayra86
Vya Domus said:
Stupidity or not , people will buy these. There aren't many willing to spend such a high amount of cash on this but enough to empty their stock.




I don't find that impressive at all , of course the i5 runs cooler , it doesn't have HT. HT simply assures a higher level of utilization of the execution resources the CPU has. No HT = less utilization = less heat even though technically both CPUs have the same raw power.
Well, the impressive part, and that is to me because I want a gaming PC that is no-hassle 24/7: 5 Ghz without delid on air is possible. The 7700k did not offer this, and loses out on 2 physical cores too. What I'm seeing so far is 85 C peak temp on long sustained load, which is quite impressive (and that's 5.1 even). Going beyond 5.0 really needs a big vCore jump.

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-core-i5-8600k-overclock-at-5-2ghz-with-3600mhz-ram.1945332/page-2
Posted on Reply
#19
Durvelle27
jabbadap said:
Well those high cost binned ones might be hard to sell. But do note you get 2 years warranty with these, compared to null when you are de-lidding processor by yourself.
2 year warranty means jack sht for a $300 Premium. Hell I could just buy a 2nd chip
Posted on Reply
#20
Vya Domus
Vayra86 said:
Well, the impressive part, and that is to me because I want a gaming PC that is no-hassle 24/7: 5 Ghz without delid on air is possible. The 7700k did not offer this, and loses out on 2 physical cores too. What I'm seeing so far is 85 C peak temp on long sustained load, which is quite impressive (and that's 5.1 even). Going beyond 5.0 really needs a big vCore jump.

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-core-i5-8600k-overclock-at-5-2ghz-with-3600mhz-ram.1945332/page-2
But not all will hit that clock , it will be luck of the draw and still not quite hassle-free. I mean even the sample TPU got only reached 4.9.
Posted on Reply
#21
StrayKAT
It's sad that this is even a thing. It's like Intel wants to look inferior.. and intentionally loses the "monopoly" the EU accuses them of :P
Posted on Reply
#22
_Flare
Caseking.de gives 12 Month of warranty with the delidded Chips.
Der8auer doesn´t go full youtube-promo
He needs a "normal" job for some reasons in germany
Yes it´s a symbiosis for him and caseking.de

some mobo-makers did indeed greaten the surface of the heatsinks
but if you do not delid the big dies you will run into the cpu-internal temp-trap
Posted on Reply
#23
jabbadap
Durvelle27 said:
2 year warranty means jack sht for a $300 Premium. Hell I could just buy a 2nd chip
Yeah true, and i did say high binned one will be hard to sell. But those normal de-lidded quaranteed* 4.8, 4.9GHz ones are just 30-60€ price premium over the stock ones, which I see being quite reasonable priced.

* Quaranteed all core clock with maximum of 1.4V core voltage.
Posted on Reply
#24
Vayra86
jabbadap said:
Yeah true, and i did say high binned one will be hard to sell. But those normal de-lidded quaranteed* 4.8, 4.9GHz ones are just 30-60€ price premium over the stock ones, which I see being quite reasonable priced.

* Quaranteed all core clock with maximum of 1.4V core voltage.
I wouldn't call that a good binned chip, 1.4 for 4.8 or 4.9...
Posted on Reply
#25
bogami
Somebody found a market niche for foolish rewinding. More than double the price for an unnecessary piece of silver. That it would be better to give a specially designed liquid cooling block as a replacement for an existing thermal distributor.
Simply remove the exsisting ones hit distributor, and add good liquid metal thermal grease on die. Then, carefully and accurately mount the liquide thermal block, I suggest spacers, remove the processor connector into the bay. The processor will not flicker because it keeps it in place with the block. and you did not pay anything more than a good thermal paste. With all of them, even without problem, you achieve better results than with the added, silver-space element.!
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment