Wednesday, February 15th 2017

NVIDIA Turing is a Crypto-mining Chip Jen-Hsun Huang Made to Save PC Gaming

When Reuters reported Turing as NVIDIA's next gaming graphics card, we knew something was off about it. Something like that would break many of NVIDIA's naming conventions. It now turns out that Turing, named after British scientist Alan Turing, who is credited with leading a team of mathematicians that broke the Nazi "Enigma" cryptography, is a crypto-mining and blockchain compute accelerator. It is being designed to be compact, efficient, and ready for large-scale deployment by amateur miners and crypto-mining firms alike, in a quasi-industrial scale.

NVIDIA Turing could be manufactured at a low-enough cost against GeForce-branded products, and in high-enough scales, to help bring down their prices, and save the PC gaming ecosystem. It could have an ASIC-like disruptive impact on the graphics card market, which could make mining with graphics cards less viable, in turn, lowering graphics card prices. With performance-segment and high-end graphics cards seeing 200-400% price inflation in the wake of crypto-currency mining wave, PC gaming is threatened as gamers are lured to the still-affordable new-generation console ecosystems, led by premium consoles such as the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X. There's no word on which GPU architecture Turing will be based on ("Pascal" or "Volta"). NVIDIA is expected to launch its entire family of next-generation GeForce GTX 2000-series "Volta" graphics cards in 2018.
Source: DigitalTrends
Add your own comment

124 Comments on NVIDIA Turing is a Crypto-mining Chip Jen-Hsun Huang Made to Save PC Gaming

#101
Captain_Tom
R-T-B said:
I guess I should admit that when I made that statement, I was considering the AMD stock situation. Harder to get AMD at msrp than even nvidia.

I learned a few things though, not being a amd miner myself. Have a thanks.
It's fine brah, there's a lot misinformation out there. In fact a lot of it is intentional, like many people who still don't share their Tricks to make Vega into basically a mining ASIC lol. If everyone knew, the network difficulty would go up.

AMD cards went out of stock, and then Nvidia cards went out of stock because people wanted anything they could get. The one thing I will say is that the GTX 1070 @$350 was a solid competitor if you were doing large-scale mining. They would do ~28 MH/s out of the box and consume slightly less energy than a stock RX 580. That's important if you are setting up 1000 cards and don't have time to tweak them. But the second the 1070 got close to 1.5-2x the price of an RX 580, it made absolutely no sense.

Heck even right now I just built yet another rig - it is 3 x RX 560's, and 3 x used R9 290's. After Bios mods the $150 RX 560's are all pulling 14.5 MH/s @ 60w, and the $275 28nm R9 290's are doing 29 MH/s @ 185w. That's not bad pal! People are crazy to pay $500 for a 1070 or 580 lol.

cdawall said:
You mind showing your Vega card doing 47.2+1100 pascal sustained for any period of time?

and my 1060's ran $140-150 USD and use less than half the power those 380's do...
1) So for some reason Nanopool's Pascal servers are under maintenance or something, but I can show you what I do when not dual mining. 48 MH/s should shut up the nay-sayers lol, and I would be happy to show my dual mining whenever the Pascal servers are back up. So message me later for that if you want.


2) Brag all you want about your 1060's, but my point still stands. I paid less money than you a LONG time ago to get the same hashrate. Those R9 380's aren't as good as the 1060, but I wouldn't brag about a substantially newer 16nm card narrowly beating Tonga on 28nm lol.

Man it really never ceases to amuse me when people can't believe the performance of AMD cards. They are almost always the stupidly better choice for people who are good at tweaking hardware, and care about price/perf. Nvidia remains the brand both for people with money in need of burning, and for those who just don't have a lot of hardware knowledge. Not trying to pick a fight with that last statement either, facts are facts as I have shown with my $500 card putting out 48 MH/s...
Posted on Reply
#102
yotano211
Captain_Tom said:
It's not. My RX 570's are pulling ~110w just like 1060's do, and Vega has been proven by numerous sources to be the most efficient card you can buy (Besides Volta that costs 6x as much lol). You can undervolt AMD Buddy, and AMD traditionally responds WAY better to undervolting than Nvidia.

Again let's look at my highly overclocked Vega's that pull ~310w: They have 1.5x the hashing power an overclocked 180w 1070 has in Ethereum, and then they are also mining Pascal as well as another 1070 at the same time! That is substantially more efficient than Nvidia's most efficient mining card, and I could clock them lower for much better efficiency if I wanted to.


Now Volta is more efficient, but it's also a lowly-clocked 12nm card with a 73% larger die size! Of course it is better in Ethereum mining (and still worse in cryptonight)! It also costs substantially more to produce and buy. Nvidia would be wise to make a for-mining architecture so they don't lose sizable amounts of income if AMD cards ever come back in stock in sufficient numbers.
You must of been one of the lucky ones that got his/her Vega card early in pre order, but I havent seem any Vega cards in stock in months online or at the store. I dont live near any Frys or Micocenter so I cant comment on those stores. Only store near me are stupid best buy and small tech shops.

Want I am trying to say is that, people buy cards that are in stock or pay 1k for a Vega card, and it also depends on the algorithm you are mining.
Posted on Reply
#103
Captain_Tom
yotano211 said:
You must of been one of the lucky ones that got his/her Vega card early in pre order, but I havent seem any Vega cards in stock in months online or at the store. I dont live near any Frys or Micocenter so I cant comment on those stores. Only store near me are stupid best buy and small tech shops.

Want I am trying to say is that, people buy cards that are in stock or pay 1k for a Vega card, and it also depends on the algorithm you are mining.
Haha yeah I got up early and spammed refresh on multiple monitors to get my Vega cards when I did. You have to put in the effort if you truly want to succeed at anything, and I totally understand that people are only capable of buying what they have access to or are willing to put in the effort for.

What I really resent though is when people start spreading FUD so they can convince themselves they were "smart" to buy one thing over the other, but in really they simply couldn't buy the best. If all cards were currently at MSRP, almost no informed person would be buying Nvidia for mining. For instance I am not going to tell people here that my new rig with R9 290's and RX 560's are better at mining than 1060's, but then again they cost less than 1/2 as much and they are honestly pretty close (Or they did, now RX 560's and 290's are sold out too lol).

Vega is the indisputable king at mining by ALL metrics, after that Polaris is the clear choice for price/perf, and even after that 28nm Fury cards are about as good as 16nm Nvidia. After all of those options are gone: then you buy 1070's, and after that you only should buy 1060's as a last resort. I cannot fathom why some people have actually convinced themselves 1080 Ti rigs make any sense at all...
Posted on Reply
#104
medi01
Poland cracked Enigma.
Turing made it fast using methods unseen in that time.
Posted on Reply
#105
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Captain_Tom said:
It's fine brah, there's a lot misinformation out there. In fact a lot of it is intentional, like many people who still don't share their Tricks to make Vega into basically a mining ASIC lol. If everyone knew, the network difficulty would go up.

AMD cards went out of stock, and then Nvidia cards went out of stock because people wanted anything they could get. The one thing I will say is that the GTX 1070 @$350 was a solid competitor if you were doing large-scale mining. They would do ~28 MH/s out of the box and consume slightly less energy than a stock RX 580. That's important if you are setting up 1000 cards and don't have time to tweak them. But the second the 1070 got close to 1.5-2x the price of an RX 580, it made absolutely no sense.

Heck even right now I just built yet another rig - it is 3 x RX 560's, and 3 x used R9 290's. After Bios mods the $150 RX 560's are all pulling 14.5 MH/s @ 60w, and the $275 28nm R9 290's are doing 29 MH/s @ 185w. That's not bad pal! People are crazy to pay $500 for a 1070 or 580 lol.



1) So for some reason Nanopool's Pascal servers are under maintenance or something, but I can show you what I do when not dual mining. 48 MH/s should shut up the nay-sayers lol, and I would be happy to show my dual mining whenever the Pascal servers are back up. So message me later for that if you want.


2) Brag all you want about your 1060's, but my point still stands. I paid less money than you a LONG time ago to get the same hashrate. Those R9 380's aren't as good as the 1060, but I wouldn't brag about a substantially newer 16nm card narrowly beating Tonga on 28nm lol.

Man it really never ceases to amuse me when people can't believe the performance of AMD cards. They are almost always the stupidly better choice for people who are good at tweaking hardware, and care about price/perf. Nvidia remains the brand both for people with money in need of burning, and for those who just don't have a lot of hardware knowledge. Not trying to pick a fight with that last statement either, facts are facts as I have shown with my $500 card putting out 48 MH/s...
I have mixed rigs and could care less on brand. Per dollar I can mine a lot of different algorithms that suck on amd with nvidia for more profits.

I also wouldn't call half the power consumption "narrowly" beating Tonga. That's an improvement and considering the 1060 is a 192 bit card I really don't find it's performance bad at all. I'll pay $30 more a card for half the wattage any day, that makes a huge difference when scaling up.

All of my 1070's were purchased for under $350 so that might color my vision on them they all also do 32mh/s minus the one Samsung card I have that does 33.

I'm impressed with that vega. I have one it does 42mh/s and pisses me off to the point that it currently sits in my htpc. That's another reason I prefer nvidia. I don't like having to bios mod cards, run a reg edit for a driver to work, enable compute modes, pray the driver doesn't crash, find out the voltage didn't actually set in the bios or config file and have to manage it via software. For ease of use? Nvidia all day.

Not to mention let's go mine neoscrypt, Blake 2s, equihash, lyra2rev2, or any of about half a dozen algorithms other than cryptonight and ethash and watch what the mining looks like. That being said I ordered more 580's and 560's
Posted on Reply
#106
Captain_Tom
cdawall said:
I have mixed rigs and could care less on brand. Per dollar I can mine a lot of different algorithms that suck on amd with nvidia for more profits.

I also wouldn't call half the power consumption "narrowly" beating Tonga. That's an improvement and considering the 1060 is a 192 bit card I really don't find it's performance bad at all. I'll pay $30 more a card for half the wattage any day, that makes a huge difference when scaling up.

All of my 1070's were purchased for under $350 so that might color my vision on them they all also do 32mh/s minus the one Samsung card I have that does 33.

I'm impressed with that vega. I have one it does 42mh/s and pisses me off to the point that it currently sits in my htpc. That's another reason I prefer nvidia. I don't like having to bios mod cards, run a reg edit for a driver to work, enable compute modes, pray the driver doesn't crash, find out the voltage didn't actually set in the bios or config file and have to manage it via software. For ease of use? Nvidia all day.

Not to mention let's go mine neoscrypt, Blake 2s, equihash, lyra2rev2, or any of about half a dozen algorithms other than cryptonight and ethash and watch what the mining looks like. That being said I ordered more 580's and 560's
For Vega I didn't need to modify anything, I just used Wattman and tweaked intensity levels in claymore lol (But I have always been very good at overclocking). At $350 those 1070's are ok, but around that time period I was buying 570's that do 29 MH/s for $200. You think your purchase was smarter? Again, I only think 1070's were a good choice when they were ~30% more than a 570; and only if you are setting up a lot of them. Otherwise you would be better off buying two 570's for the same price.

Second, those 380's are not using double the energy of your 1060's. You can BIOS mod and undervolt them to the point that the fans barely even turn on. Again though, idk why you are bragging about a 2 year newer card kinda beating an old 28nm GCN card. Sure it's cool you supposedly got them for only 30% more money than I paid, but most people paid $250-$300 for a card that mines the same as something they could have got for less than half the price. Oh and my cards were mining before the 1060 launched lol, and they still are.

Finally, I am kinda sick of people acting like most of the coins outside of Monero and Ethereum are worth bragging about. You could argue that most of them are only being mined because they intentionally pander to Nvidia's architecture, and even then they are wholly less profitable than the real coins (especially if you HODL). Throw in how AMD cards vastly outperform Nvidia's in dual-mining, and it's laughable to suggest Nvidia's cards are anywhere near as profitable. Simply put: AMD mines the most profitable coins better, and then they also dual-mine more efficiently as well.
Posted on Reply
#107
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Captain_Tom said:
For Vega I didn't need to modify anything, I just used Wattman and tweaked intensity levels in claymore lol (But I have always been very good at overclocking). At $350 those 1070's are ok, but around that time period I was buying 570's that do 29 MH/s for $200. You think your purchase was smarter? Again, I only think 1070's were a good choice when they were ~30% more than a 570; and only if you are setting up a lot of them. Otherwise you would be better off buying two 570's for the same price.

Second, those 380's are not using double the energy of your 1060's. You can BIOS mod and undervolt them to the point that the fans barely even turn on. Again though, idk why you are bragging about a 2 year newer card kinda beating an old 28nm GCN card. Sure it's cool you supposedly got them for only 30% more money than I paid, but most people paid $250-$300 for a card that mines the same as something they could have got for less than half the price. Oh and my cards were mining before the 1060 launched lol, and they still are.

Finally, I am kinda sick of people acting like most of the coins outside of Monero and Ethereum are worth bragging about. You could argue that most of them are only being mined because they intentionally pander to Nvidia's architecture, and even then they are wholly less profitable than the real coins (especially if you HODL). Throw in how AMD cards vastly outperform Nvidia's in dual-mining, and it's laughable to suggest Nvidia's cards are anywhere near as profitable. Simply put: AMD mines the most profitable coins better, and then they also dual-mine more efficiently as well.
I had trouble getting 570/580's when I got the 1070's so per dollar they were quite a bit better purchases for me. Turns out some cards are better than no cards.

$150 vs $130 also isn't 30% :roll: and you can brag on 380's all you want they were never that great of a card. I have had a few myself. There is a reason I sold them.

There are quite a few that would argue this last point.

ZEC, BTG and we can continue from here are quite profitable coins and depending on market values have doubled ethereum on multiple occasions for profitability. Until the crash in December they all exceeded ethereum. "simply put" you are fake news. Nvidia makes a good product so does amd. Benefit for nvidia is it is more power efficient and yet again they are not let down by the driver.

I do like the mention of dual mining though. Which coin do you currently dual mine and how has it responded to the ASIC miners that dropped for everything outside of Blake 2S and keccak?
Posted on Reply
#108
Vlada011
NVIDIA CEO is many things, only not PC Gaming Savior.
With their voltage locked. crippled GPU processors, overpriced...
He could be called with different names as we can call Devil with different names...
Lucifer, Diablo, Satan, Antichrist ... but Savior No.
Posted on Reply
#109
bug
Vlada011 said:
NVIDIA CEO is many things, only not PC Gaming Savior.
With their voltage locked. crippled GPU processors, overpriced...
He could be called with different names as we can call Devil with different names...
Lucifer, Diablo, Satan, Antichrist ... but Savior No.
Congrats, I think you've just found the proper name for the guy that builds over two thirds of the cards used in gaming rigs. :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#110
Vlada011
Only company who build 2/3 of GPU could destroy overclocking and increase price to the sky.
Company without such influence is not possible to do that... Are you aware that now you could build Kawasaki Off Road KLX140 144c brand new 2017 model for one Graphic Cards with drivers in gaming. section.
Posted on Reply
#111
kastriot
This is 111th comment so far.. :)
Posted on Reply
#112
lynx29
I don't understand why everyone is excited about this. PC Gamer just wrote an article on it today and how it will help bring GPU prices down for gamers... no not at all... Miners will buy all these Turing mining cards until out of stock, and they will also buy all the GPU's until out of stock... best thing Nvidia could have done was pay overtime to its factory workers and crank out as many gpu's possible
Posted on Reply
#113
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
lynx29 said:
I don't understand why everyone is excited about this. PC Gamer just wrote an article on it today and how it will help bring GPU prices down for gamers... no not at all... Miners will buy all these Turing mining cards until out of stock, and they will also buy all the GPU's until out of stock... best thing Nvidia could have done was pay overtime to its factory workers and crank out as many gpu's possible
Nvidia doesn't own the fab, that would be on TSMC
Posted on Reply
#114
userwords
So they still did not realize the fakecurrencias bubble did burst. Just that they are trying to fake it id not to get time to unload the vapormoney unto ingenuous hands to content the massive losses that leads to huge broke. Thank you for polluting like retards to make the nsa work for free bastards also.
Posted on Reply
#115
lynx29
cdawall said:
Nvidia doesn't own the fab, that would be on TSMC
Nvidia has buttloads of billions in profits, they can build their own fab easily, they choose not to.
Posted on Reply
#116
Vya Domus
lynx29 said:
Nvidia has buttloads of billions in profits, they can build their own fab easily, they choose not to.
You can bet they would if they could, there is no such thing in this industry as "they chose not to".

Unfortunately for Nvidia even their buttloads of cash aren't enough to build/buy a foundry of their own.

In addition to that even if they would have one , there is no way they would be able to keep going. Companies like TSMC/Samsung pour billions into existing/new facilities each year just so they can remain competitive.
Posted on Reply
#117
lynx29
Vya Domus said:
You can bet they would if they could, there is no such thing in this industry as "they chose not to".

Unfortunately for Nvidia even their buttloads of cash aren't enough to build/buy a foundry of their own.

In addition to that even if they would have one , there is no way they would be able to keep going. Companies like TSMC/Samsung pour billions into existing/new facilities each year just so they can remain competitive.
I think it cost Intel 8 billion to build their 7nm foundry in Arizona? Nvidia has what 200 billion in assets, I don't see why they can't... their stock is also at a record high
Posted on Reply
#119
Captain_Tom
lynx29 said:
I think it cost Intel 8 billion to build their 7nm foundry in Arizona? Nvidia has what 200 billion in assets, I don't see why they can't... their stock is also at a record high
They certainly have the money - but the real bottleneck is hire-able talent. That's why you see all of these engineers constantly jumping ship back and forth between companies: They are the very small handful of people that can actually do these jobs!

However I am guessing Nvidia could pull it off if they wanted to, but it would take a lot of effort in addition to money.
Posted on Reply
#120
Fluffmeister
Nvidia don't want the burden of their own foundry, especially as nodes are shrinking to even more complex levels.

AMD had to spin off their own foundries too, despite Jerry saying "real men have fabs".
Posted on Reply
#121
lexluthermiester
Vya Domus said:
Unfortunately for Nvidia even their buttloads of cash aren't enough to build/buy a foundry of their own.
Incorrect, Nvidia used to owned their own foundry's. They chose to contract with TSMC because it allowed them better flexibility in the market.
Posted on Reply
#122
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
lynx29 said:
Nvidia has buttloads of billions in profits, they can build their own fab easily, they choose not to.
You drug up a multiple month old thread to be flat out wrong?
Posted on Reply
#123
lynx29
cdawall said:
You drug up a multiple month old thread to be flat out wrong?
I never bumped this thread actually. Get your facts straight.

Also, I like Vya's post when he clarified for me how much money Nvidia actually makes, and I did not post again until you called me out just now, but sure thing mate, you got all your facts straight about me.
Posted on Reply
#124
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
lynx29 said:
I never bumped this thread actually. Get your facts straight.

Also, I like Vya's post when he clarified for me how much money Nvidia actually makes, and I did not post again until you called me out just now, but sure thing mate, you got all your facts straight about me.
I apologize guy above you bumped a month's old thread, then you posted incorrect information. :roll: my bad
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment