Friday, April 20th 2018

AMD is Saving the Ryzen 7 2800X for a Rainy Day

Many of you might have noticed that the Ryzen 7 2800X wasn't part of the initial Ryzen 2000 Series launch yesterday. Jim Anderson, Senior Vice President at AMD, has hinted that AMD might release the Ryzen 7 2800X processor at a later date. The main reason for the move is that the current Ryzen 7 2700X and 2700 models already cover the performance and price points. Therefore, AMD doesn't see the need to release a more powerful model at this time. And they're not wrong. Our review of the Ryzen 7 2700X revealed that AMD's current flagship processor has surpassed Intel's Core i7-8700K in multi-threaded workloads while also closing the gap in single-threaded workloads. While Intel still has the advantage when it comes to gaming performance, the difference in performance is slim and gets even smaller as you climb the resolution ladder. Basically, the ball is in Intel's court right now. Whether the Ryzen 7 2800X see the light of the day is going to depend on Intel's response to the Ryzen 7 2700X.
Source: DSOGaming
Add your own comment

93 Comments on AMD is Saving the Ryzen 7 2800X for a Rainy Day

#76
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
eidairaman1 said:
Would be a new fab design at that point.
And even then what makes people think we would move to a 5 core module? Like what sense does that even make. If anything with the die shrink there is a tiny chance they could have fit 6 core modules onto a cpu (probably not and I refuse to do the math to verify) and that would give you a 12 core.

This is purely a "we cannot get 4.5ghz XFR stable". When AMD has binning on the new stuff down we will see a 2800X with an increased clockspeed. Kind of like well after thuban came out we saw the 1100T with guess what more clockspeed or the phenom II 980 with guess what more clockspeed or the 9590/9370 with guess what EVEN MOAR CLOCKSPEED.
Posted on Reply
#77
DeathtoGnomes
cdawall said:
So what do you think clockspeed will be when the current model does 4.3ghz on XFR? I don't believe even AMD has a dumb enough marketing team to try and sell someone a 2800X that is identical in every way to the 2700X. The only step you could take past 4.3 would be to go to 4.4+ that is kind of how it works.
my original post was about the socket and core count, and now I will say something about clock speeds: I forget where i read it but the boost clock was rumored to be 4.4/4.5, there something said even if its not confirmed. :rolleyes:

cdawall said:
And even then what makes people think we would move to a 5 core module? Like what sense does that even make. If anything with the die shrink there is a tiny chance they could have fit 6 core modules onto a cpu (probably not and I refuse to do the math to verify) and that would give you a 12 core.

This is purely a "we cannot get 4.5ghz XFR stable". When AMD has binning on the new stuff down we will see a 2800X with an increased clockspeed. Kind of like well after thuban came out we saw the 1100T with guess what more clockspeed or the phenom II 980 with guess what more clockspeed or the 9590/9370 with guess what EVEN MOAR CLOCKSPEED.
even if there is a new fab for this chip, it would have been announced, and my guess it would be a 6 core module too, not 5.
Posted on Reply
#78
Vya Domus
cdawall said:
So what do you think clockspeed will be when the current model does 4.3ghz on XFR? I don't believe even AMD has a dumb enough marketing team to try and sell someone a 2800X that is identical in every way to the 2700X. The only step you could take past 4.3 would be to go to 4.4+ that is kind of how it works.
Or higher base clock. The 1800X was a horrible bang for buck , I don't really see why this one wont be.
Posted on Reply
#80
RealNeil
eidairaman1 said:
How so, pm me
I'm ill and sometimes a little depressed. I'll be OK.
Posted on Reply
#81
Goewyn
T4C Fantasy said:
yeah true, and they cant just use 2 chips it wouldnt fit
(I know, I know, this is an older thread, but 2800x is still a possibility looming on the horizon so I figured I'd still respond :-P

I don't know ... in a photoshop mockup of 14nm ryzen, I fit 4ccx (barely, but they do fit). The 12nm shouldn't have any problem fitting up to 16 cores on the AM4 silicon. Not sure if X470 can feed enough power for those cores. though.
Posted on Reply
#82
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Goewyn said:
(I know, I know, this is an older thread, but 2800x is still a possibility looming on the horizon so I figured I'd still respond :-P

I don't know ... in a photoshop mockup of 14nm ryzen, I fit 4ccx (barely, but they do fit). The 12nm shouldn't have any problem fitting up to 16 cores on the AM4 silicon. Not sure if X470 can feed enough power for those cores. though.
I doubt 2800x will be 16 because 2950X will have 16 2970 will have 24 etc, wish they could do 10
Posted on Reply
#83
Goewyn
Yeah, I wouldn't expect 16 cores. They'd be stepping on their own toes and undercutting Threadripper. But 10 or mb even 12 don't seem like they'd be out of the question as long as the socket can handle it.
Posted on Reply
#84
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
I only see a 12 core due to the R5 series.
Posted on Reply
#85
Melvis
I wouldnt be surprised if the 2800X will be on 7nm and then we will see a 2900X etc after that the way things are going.
Posted on Reply
#86
Goewyn
Huge hint from MSI .... <div class="youtube-embed" data-id="f0_U2AEVdr0"><img src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/f0_U2AEVdr0/hqdefault.jpg" /><div class="youtube-play"></div><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_U2AEVdr0" target="_blank" class="youtube-title"></a></div>

At the 1 minute mark, "Enhanced layout and digital power design for 8-core and up CPU."
Posted on Reply
#87
TheGuruStud
Goewyn said:
Huge hint from MSI .... <div class="youtube-embed" data-id="f0_U2AEVdr0"><img src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/f0_U2AEVdr0/hqdefault.jpg" /><div class="youtube-play"></div><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_U2AEVdr0" target="_blank" class="youtube-title"></a></div>

At the 1 minute mark, "Enhanced layout and digital power design for 8-core and up CPU."
Or 7nm
Posted on Reply
#88
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
I'll wait for what @buildzoid says at actually hardcore yt channel on brand/model of power phases used.
Posted on Reply
#89
Goewyn
Seems even more suspicious as a leak now that the video was taken down in less than a day ... >.> ...
Posted on Reply
#90
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Goewyn said:
Seems even more suspicious as a leak now that the video was taken down in less than a day ... >.> ...
I didnt even see it
Posted on Reply
#91
Goewyn
Here's a screenshot of the important part.
Posted on Reply
#92
T4C Fantasy
CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Goewyn said:
Here's a screenshot of the important part.
Oh kick ass
Posted on Reply
#93
Caring1
That screen shot seems to indicate it's designed more for show, than go.
Aside from the huge flashy heatsinks, the actual VRM section looks puny.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment