Thursday, June 14th 2007

EA to Release Six Games for Mac

Computer Game Publisher Electronic Arts announced a couple of days ago that they will bring six games to the Intel-based Macintosh platform starting in July. At this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, EA co-founder Bing Gordon told the audience that "Need for Speed: Carbon" ; "Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars" ; "Battlefield 2142" ; "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" ; "Madden NFL '08" and "Tiger Woods PGA Tour '08" will all make their way to Mac.

While EA has had games for Mac in years past, this is the first time since Mac OS X that EA will be releasing the games themselves.

Transgaming's 'Cider' technology will enable Window's games to work on Intel-based Macs.Source: MacWorld

50 Comments on EA to Release Six Games for Mac

newbielives
Writing scripts to do something only a few clicks away in Windows doesn't make for elegance advance simplicity lol
Dippyskoodlez
newbielives said:
Oh, theres much more to it than just that... much much more.. ;)

Such as keyboard shortcuts that are actually useful.

ALT+F4 anyone? lolz.

Try apple+q.

;)

Windows takes multiple clicks- OS X is more of a ZIP there one step kinda thing.

Some people like to click through 4 menu's to get to the accessories in vista.

I like to just hit apple+shift+U and up pops my utilities folder.
Wile E
Power User
Bret said:
Macs getting games only furthurs the misconception that macs are actually useful. They are just Windows without most of the stuff u want.
Again, you show your complete and total ignorance. How about not posting about things, that you obviously know nothing about

Bret said:
Just one question thought - how are u going to run Battefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 without DirectX or any of the other things that Windows offers but Mac OS doesn't?
Ummm, they port it to NOT use DX.

@Dippy- I agree 100%

@newbielives - By your logic,*nix isn't a very good OS either. All the OSes have their advantages and disadvangtages.
Dippyskoodlez
Wile E said:

shhhh don't tell him this, but all OS's are just a few scripts added to a button on top of a command line... :roll:
russianboy
I actually like the philosophy of "it just works", Apple spent so much time and effort to configure everything to make it work flawlessly w/ the end-user.

Building a PC can pose all kinds of challenges, something not working, installing all the software, working the kinks out and configuring it to your wishes can be a hassle!

Apple has done that for you, it makes it easy, and I like that.

But one problem, how to get software based on the PC to work on the Mac? e.g Altuim Designer, Protel DXP, AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. If I have to dual boot w/ Windows whats the point of a Mac?

Thats the only problem, but I do hate the fanboyishness of some of them.
Wile E
Power User
russianboy said:

Apple has done that for you, it makes it easy, and I like that.

Thats the only problem, but I do hate the fanboyishness of some of them.
I do believe Wine has been ported over to Mac. Don't know how compatible it is with the proggies mentioned, tho.

You could also run Windows in a Virtual Machine, and do it that way, albiet at a performance loss. I recommend Parallels. Coherence mode is teh sexy.
russianboy
But if your going to run Windows anyway whats the point of buying a $2000+ Mac just to run Windows?
pt
not a suicide-bomber
russianboy said:
agreed, and i still think macs are overpriced in comparation to pc's, and a os isn't worth the extra cash
Wile E
Power User
pt said:
Buying a Mac is no more expensive than buying a pre-made PC with the same features. I built a PC with the same specs as a MacPro piece by piece, and it was only $100 less than the MacPro. I'll happily pay $100 for OS X.
Wile E
Power User
Sorry for the double post, but...

russianboy said:
To run both. And I don't "just" run Windows on my Mac. I only use windows when there's a program that doesn't have an OS X counterpart(usually just DVD ripping, tbh. The DVD Rippers on Mac aren't kept as up-to-date), or for my fiancee to do her online school conferences. (Because the idiots decided to use ActiveX controls to do it)
Dippyskoodlez
Wile E said:
Sorry for the double post, but...

Parallels. Thats all you need to know.. :laugh:

and btw handbrake > any windows dvd ripping tool. period! :)
Wile E
Power User
Dippyskoodlez said:
Parallels. Thats all you need to know.. :laugh:

and btw handbrake > any windows dvd ripping tool. period! :)
Ok, let me rephrase that. Windows for backing-up DVDs. lol

But I agree, Handbrake is indispensable for ripping movies to an iPod or PSP.

Oh, and read my posts above, already mentioned Parallels. lol :toast:
pt
not a suicide-bomber
Wile E said:
prob in the states, not in here, in here apple can win about 300€ just in a laptop (don't know desktop)
Steevo
I don't care for macs either, but if some of our software were OS-X capable I would have some users on it, just for the "you can't fuck it up" factor.

But for me I like PC for the versatility, and upgradeability-overclockability and general ease of use from familiarity.
Wile E
Power User
Steevo said:

Well yeah, current Macs definitely aren't for those that like to tweak their hardware. Some G4s are fun to tinker with, tho. Wanna overclock? Better bust out the soldering iron. lol
russianboy
Weller Irons FTW!

But I personally think that defeats the whole purpose of a Mac, I don't think their customer service knows how to deal w/ people trying to OC a Mac, lol.
Mussels
Moderprator
As was said earlier - games arent so great because of the graphics card.

Macbook pros come with a radeon x1600/1650 (unsure which, one of the two) neither of which is really up for heavy gaming - you can run a game at 1024x768, but 1280x1024 and above you're fairly screwed unless you turn a lot of settings off (no arguing on this - i own 1650s and i know the performance quite well)

The desktop macs, i'm less knowledgable about - as a poster earlier said, to get a mid-rage graphics card (7600GT) you need to get a mac with a 24" screen that runs at 1920x1200 - hell on a regular PC to use that, you need an 8800GTS or GTX to truly enjoy it - how the hell is a low end Core 2 Duo and an x1650/7600GT meant to keep up with that?
Wile E
Power User
Mussels said:
As was said earlier - games arent so great because of the graphics card.

Yeah, games aren't that great on a Mac. If you have a Mac tower, you can upgrade the graphics, but not on other models.

My 20" iMac is 1680x1050 w/ a Mobility 1600. Definitely not for a hardcore gamer, but good enough for a casual one.
newbielives
Lol as a newb user I would rate OSX > Nix

Only good thing about Nix is that it's free

If you want to brag about your scripting skills, then fine but for ease of use, Windows still wins.
Dippyskoodlez said:
FatForester
Haha it took 20-ish posts for this thread to get back on topic! Regarding Mac vs. Windows, I think its funny how most people feel they have to say something or defend themselves. Who cares what other people use? It's their own choice! Leave it at that.
GJSNeptune
I care if it's someone I know. I'm not going to let someone I care about blow all their money on overpriced, over-marketed goods when something similar (and often better) can be found for much cheaper.
FatForester
GJSNeptune said:
I agree 100% with you there, but when it comes to "discussions" like these, it's pointless.
Dippyskoodlez
GJSNeptune said:
Congratulations, you completely ignored the point 90% of the thread made.

btw, if you have educational discount, Leopard Ultimate edition is $69.

Yeah, upgrading's a bitch on the wallet, I tell ya. :roll:

You can complain about the macbook pro GPU all you want- but the power thats packed into this package is very well rounded for its age. Now they are even faster w/ an Nvidia upgrade in the newest series.

The x1600m is no slouch in speed- Its not intended to be blazing fast, because it was intended to actually have -some- battery life.

The notebook is marketed at professionals, not gamers.
GJSNeptune
Dippyskoodlez said:
Congratulations, you completely ignored the point 90% of the thread made.
Thank you. I didn't read much past the first page. I looked at FatForester's post and responded. Forgive me, sir.
Sovereign
I wonder if people realize that there is an entire community out there that are dedicated to porting PC graphic cards to the Mac, both PPC and intel based. A poor example would be that I, myself use a FIC Radeon 9000 PRO AGP PC video card that is flashed with a modded APPLE/ATI OEM Mac Edition Radeon 9000 PRO firmware, inside my playtoy Apple G4 "Sawtooth" computer. It allows me to do a little Ghost Recon GOLD Edition gaming once in awhile! :p

BTW, some of the best classic games of all time were made for the mac and only for the mac. Bungie's Marathon series comes to mind! Also, their Myth trilogy was quite good as well (Myth : The Fallen Lords, Myth II : SoulBlighter and Myth III). Ah, memories!

BTW, just think if Apple stuck with IBM... they could be using their new POWER6 chips (OK, that wouldn't be very practical but it would be cool)! :eek::respect:

Oh and pay no attention to Bret, he was abused by a rogue Apple employee back when he was a child. Hes never gotten over it, even to this very day...