Friday, June 29th 2007

Apple employees get free 8GB iPhone

Steve Jobs has announced, that Apple will be giving all its roughly 17,787 employees a free 8GB iPhone. This even includes part-time employees which have been with the company for more than a year. This "giveaway" will cost Apple around 12 Million US Dollars when compared to the iPhone retail price. Should be interesting to see if employees will have to pay up for a AT&T contract to fully use the iPhone and its features.Source: Think Secret
Add your own comment

33 Comments on Apple employees get free 8GB iPhone

#1
hat
Enthusiast
I sense loads of 8GB iPhones on Ebay in the near future...
Posted on Reply
#2
jocksteeluk
hat said:
I sense loads of 8GB iPhones on Ebay in the near future...
took the words right out of my mouth.
Posted on Reply
#3
GJSNeptune
"Here you go!"
"Gee, thanks."
"If we see them on eBay you're fired."
Posted on Reply
#4
Darksaber
W1zzard's Sidekick
hat said:
I sense loads of 8GB iPhones on Ebay in the near future...
:D I actually wanted to write that into the news as well, but I thought we will see a load of these on ebay even if the employees are not allowed to sell them. Plenty of people will try making a buck of this launch.

cheers
DS
Posted on Reply
#5
GJSNeptune
Pretty soon we'll be able to better tell who works for Apple.
Posted on Reply
#6
LiNKiN
Staff
It would make for another nice raffle though! :D
Posted on Reply
#7
DrunkenMafia
Jeez that is nice of them.... wish they would give me one, I love gadgets and that thing looks like the mother of all gadgets!!!!
Posted on Reply
#9
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
A great way to inflate your sales numbers...
Posted on Reply
#10
GJSNeptune
How? They aren't being sold. If they include these units in their sales reports, they're flat-out lying, and Apple likes to be subtle about that.
Posted on Reply
#11
Zero Cool
the iPhone is probably just gonna as inflated as the Safari
Posted on Reply
#12
DaMulta
My stars went supernova
When I worked for sprint years ago they gave us all cool new phones. The next day Ebay had thousands of those phones listed.
Posted on Reply
#14
russianboy
I think its going to be awkward making calls on that thing, too wide.

And only one carrier? bah!
Posted on Reply
#16
Zero Cool
Darksaber said:
Steve Jobs has announced, that Apple will be giving all its roughly 17,787 employees a free 8GB iPhone. This even includes part-time employees which have been with the company for more than a year. This "giveaway" will cost Apple around 12 Million US Dollars when compared to the iPhone retail price. Should be interesting to see if employees will have to pay up for a AT&T contract to fully use the iPhone and its features.

Source: Think Secret
you even have to pay EXTRA after buying this pos to be able to use it fully... thats just so like.. apple!
Posted on Reply
#17
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
well you gotta have a service contract with a telecom wireless provider to use all the features, at least the phone talking and sending features. Other than that, its like a mini computer or PDA with built in camera, music player, etc
Posted on Reply
#18
russianboy
If I want that I'll get a laptop, thank you.
Posted on Reply
#20
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
GJSNeptune said:
How? They aren't being sold. If they include these units in their sales reports, they're flat-out lying, and Apple likes to be subtle about that.
Actually it is very simple, you just sell the product to yourself before gving it away.
Posted on Reply
#22
demonbrawn
Yep. If I were given one it would be on Ebay in no time.
Posted on Reply
#23
ktr
Darksaber said:
Steve Jobs has announced, that Apple will be giving all its roughly 17,787 employees a free 8GB iPhone. This even includes part-time employees which have been with the company for more than a year. This "giveaway" will cost Apple around 12 Million US Dollars when compared to the iPhone retail price. Should be interesting to see if employees will have to pay up for a AT&T contract to fully use the iPhone and its features.

Source: Think Secret
Thats funny, becuase now there is 17,787 new AT&T contracts for the phone :roll:

Apple thought ahead of time, screwing their employees.

I was considering an iphone, but where i heard that it was on 2.5G rather than 3G, forget it...DOWN with teh iphone.
Posted on Reply
#24
mdm-adph
...why is this news? I'm sure companies do this all the time -- the added publicity they get from their employees walking around with their new products and the sales that it produces more than offsets the initial cost of giving them out to their workforce.

What's going to be next in the "news?"

This just in -- Steve Jobs takes a dump, with an iPhone!
Someone sees an iPhone on TV!
Some guy walks with an iPhone down a street!
Posted on Reply
#25
Zero Cool
mdm-adph said:
...why is this news? I'm sure companies do this all the time -- the added publicity they get from their employees walking around with their new products and the sales that it produces more than offsets the initial cost of giving them out to their workforce.

What's going to be next in the "news?"

This just in -- Steve Jobs takes a dump, with an iPhone!
Someone sees an iPhone on TV!
Some guy walks with an iPhone down a street!
quit bitchin,

did Apple give their new iPods to all their employees? no

I didnt know about this
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment