Thursday, October 18th 2007

Intel 45nm Yorkfield Does 4653MHz on Air

Some air cooling action with the new Intel 45nm Yorkfield QX9650 Core 2 Extreme processors, provided by XS legend hipro5. Check out the full thread here. Tuniq Tower with a DELTA fan was used for this overclocking session.

Source: XtremeSystems
Add your own comment

42 Comments on Intel 45nm Yorkfield Does 4653MHz on Air

#1
kwchang007
Tatty_One said:
And I said as much above, point is that they wont match Intels 45nm Quads and duellies (supposidly nowhere near? not sure there) but if you are saying you cannot compare the 2 because they are not like for like, well your right but they are the 2 most upto date chips from each provider, it's not Intels fault that AMD are a year behind them, by the time our beloved AMD get 45nm on the consumers shelves Intel with prob have like 10nm :eek: either that or I will be too old to see the keyboard never mind type on it :D
Well it'll depend on overclocks really. Penryn will defiantly beat the first round of K10s that come out if they decide to clock them up to around ~3.2-3.4. That's if K10 can ramp up to 3ghz. If AMD gets 3.5 out of a K10....then we'll have to see Penryn's climb up to ~3.7-3.9. So in essence, yeah Intel can win, but if AMD can pump out those clock rates, we're going to see the thermal ratings and power requirements of a stock CPU from Intel go up (at least on the high end).

However, I don't believe AMD will get those kind of speeds out of their chips on 65 nm.....monolithic quad cores actually have a tougher time getting higher clock rates than multi-die on single package because on the multi-die you can pick to good dual cores, whereas on the monolithic quad cores....your stuck with quad cores to pick from.
Posted on Reply
#2
pt
not a suicide-bomber
trt740 said:
Fan boy for AMD, starting to lean towards *Intel
same here :(
still i'm a total amd fanatic when it comes to gfx card
Posted on Reply
#3
tigger
I'm the only one
I dont think power ratings matter if you oc,the power rating of cpu's is rated at its stock speed.Who gives a tosh what power their oc'd chip is using.If you was that bothered you would'nt oc.
Posted on Reply
#4
Gzero
tigger69 said:
I dont think power ratings matter if you oc,the power rating of cpu's is rated at its stock speed.Who gives a tosh what power their oc'd chip is using.If you was that bothered you would'nt oc.
Agrees, when you OC you not only punch up the power usage of the cpu but the ram and motherboard too!

And I don't know why poeple bang on about which are the best overclockers, I worry which is the most consistent overclockers. No point if 1 person out of a 1000 breaks the 3ghz barrier on an AMD if none of his mates can, I prefer a cpu were my mates can trust my advice. :)
Posted on Reply
#5
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
Gzero said:
Agrees, when you OC you not only punch up the power usage of the cpu but the ram and motherboard too!

And I don't know why poeple bang on about which are the best overclockers, I worry which is the most consistent overclockers. No point if 1 person out of a 1000 breaks the 3ghz barrier on an AMD if none of his mates can, I prefer a cpu were my mates can trust my advice. :)
Agreed, but history suggests...the lower the fabrication process, couple with the lower stock VCore requirments (mhz for Mhz) that they will overclock considerably better than chips of a higher process requiring more power.
Posted on Reply
#6
Mussels
Moderprator
trt740 said:
You certainly cannot compare current amd overclocking and bet the new chips will overclock like they do!!!! They are just the first batch and will overclock much better as they evolve flounder boy!!!!!!! They were ment to compete with the current intel chips newer ones are on they way.
really? usually the first batches OC much better, venice anyone?

And no, AMD arent competing with intel for speed. they're going the power efficient/cheap route now, since they know they cant compete in speed for a while.

trt740 said:
Why is that are you a fan boy. I know I am and thats not what I read. I read the AMD chips match the Intel chips very well. Even as a fanboy I can see thru all my own crap to get to the truth. Fab boy for AMD, starting to lean towards *Intel
clock for clock, they match intel. But they cant OC for crap, so the odds on legit chips going very high is low. if intel can do 4.5Ghz on air with a york, how can AMD beat it when they cant reach 3.5GHz with hand picked chips on water?
Posted on Reply
#7
erocker
Senior Moderator
kwchang007 said:
Clock for clock, Barcelona is better in server apps, normal people stuff (ex gaming) has yet to be seen, but anandtech thinks Intel is going to remain in the lead there. But remember that Nehlam is coming in a year with CSI (or w/e it is now) and integrated memory controller...this is just trying to get Core 2 a little faster.
Yeah, Intel's first try at a memory controller (on die). Btw, Phenoms have dual 64-bit memory controllers. AMD Proc + AMD Mobo + Crossfire X = FTW!!!
Posted on Reply
#8
EvilMerlin
erocker said:
Yeah, Intel's first try at a memory controller (on die). Btw, Phenoms have dual 64-bit memory controllers. AMD Proc + AMD Mobo + Crossfire X = FTW!!!
Sharikou?
Posted on Reply
#9
EvilMerlin
kwchang007 said:
Clock for clock, Barcelona is better in server apps, normal people stuff (ex gaming) has yet to be seen, but anandtech thinks Intel is going to remain in the lead there. But remember that Nehlam is coming in a year with CSI (or w/e it is now) and integrated memory controller...this is just trying to get Core 2 a little faster.
Clock for clock doesn't really matter. Intel has the ability to clock nearly as high as it wants to currently. AMD doesn't. Until AMD is able to clock as fast as Intel, its a one pony show.
Posted on Reply
#10
kwchang007
EvilMerlin said:
Clock for clock doesn't really matter. Intel has the ability to clock nearly as high as it wants to currently. AMD doesn't. Until AMD is able to clock as fast as Intel, its a one pony show.
Exactly. :toast:
Posted on Reply
#11
Wile E
Power User
Mussels said:
really? usually the first batches OC much better, venice anyone?
What about Windsors? 1st run OCed worth a crap, rarely getting to 3GHz. The later revisions have been to 3 and beyond on a much more steady basis. We even have ones that stock at 3 and above.
Posted on Reply
#12
trt740
Max bench clock.

Well I was gonna wait but the current chip are very good and cheap so I got a Q6600 after all and here is my result to compare to a yorkfield. It is still a very good chip.


Posted on Reply
#13
theonetruewill
W1zzard said:
nice already using gpu-z
C'mon dude, the enthusiasts love picking up quality software :)
Posted on Reply
#14
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
tigger69 said:
I dont think power ratings matter if you oc,the power rating of cpu's is rated at its stock speed.Who gives a tosh what power their oc'd chip is using.If you was that bothered you would'nt oc.
Because the power rating at stock dictates the power rating when you overclock! The lower the stock, the less it takes to get to 4Gig.....generally. Ohhhh and LMAO@thoseVolts :)
Posted on Reply
#15
tigger
I'm the only one
1.712vcore :twitch:
Posted on Reply
#16
trt740
tigger69 said:
1.712vcore :twitch:
Was just seeing it max max and now you have it. It will bench at 4.05ghz at 1.55v FYI
Posted on Reply
#17
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
trt740 said:
Was just seeing it max max and now you have it. It will bench at 4.50ghz at 1.55v FYI
I hope you mean 4.05Gig rather than 4,500Mhz???? :D
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment