Friday, February 13th 2009

Leaked Information Points at Free OEM Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

Tech ARP has managed to get a hold of a copy of a draft document, preliminarily named the Windows 7 Upgrade Program. It is said to have been distributed to Microsoft's OEM partners on 10th December giving them a month to provide feedback. Obviously nothing is set in stone yet, but Microsoft provided similar upgrade programs for Vista and XP. The extract follows:

The Windows 7 Upgrade Program is designed to assist Microsoft's OEM partners in minimizing the number of end users who may postpone acquiring a new computer because of the impending release of the Windows 7 operating system. This program allows OEMs to offer an upgrade to Windows 7 to end users who qualify.

This is a consumer-oriented program targeted at individual consumers and small businesses that have purchased eligible PCs during the Program Eligibility Period. End users will have to meet these requirements to be deemed eligible for the upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released :
  • End users must purchase a new PC that is pre-installed with an eligible Windows Vista Operating System (OS), during the program eligibility window.

  • The PC must have a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached.

  • The only Windows Vista versions eligible for the program are:
  • 1. Windows Vista Home Premium
    2. Windows Vista Business
    3. Windows Vista Ultimate
    * Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Starter Edition, and Windows XP (all editions) are not qualifying products under the program.

  • The Program does not support multiple upgrades for medium, large, or enterprise customers. Customers that want to upgrade multiple PCs should use the appropriate Microsoft Volume Licensing program. See microsoft.com/licensing for more details.

  • The following are the only valid upgrade paths under the program:
  • 1. Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
    2. Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
    3. Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate
Do note that this is an optional program, so not all OEMs may choose to participate. OEMs that choose to participate in this upgrade program will have the freedom to determine how to best provide qualifying end users with the details.
Source: Tech ARP
Add your own comment

54 Comments on Leaked Information Points at Free OEM Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

#1
BrooksyX
v12dock said:
Well if that is the case then I got a copy of Windows 7 Professional sitting right next to me :D
No you don't. Read the article.
Posted on Reply
#2
v12dock
Small businesses, this is a OEM copy, it maybe eligible
Posted on Reply
#3
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
sweet that means my compaq lappy gets a free upgrade
Posted on Reply
#4
BrooksyX
If you read it you will see it is only eligible if you purchase the PC from an OEM builder such as Dell or HP. Also the time will be any time after July 2009. Considering it is only Feb. 2009 no one is eligible yet.
Posted on Reply
#5
BrooksyX
cdawall said:
sweet that means my compaq lappy gets a free upgrade
NO, NO, NO! It is after July 2009! No one is eligible yet. Read it. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#6
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
BrooksyX said:
NO, NO, NO! It is after July 2009! No one is eligible yet. Read it. :laugh:
bah eligible or not i'm getting a free copy of windows 7
Posted on Reply
#7
BrooksyX
cdawall said:
bah eligible or not i'm getting a free copy of windows 7
Get me one to, OK? :p
Posted on Reply
#8
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
cdawall said:
bah eligible or not i'm getting a free copy of windows 7
Me too, just like my free copy of Vista, XP, and Win2000...

Come to think about it, I can't think of the last Microsoft product(that wasn't a game or xbox360 related) I personally paid for...:laugh:
Posted on Reply
#9
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
newtekie1 said:
Me too, just like my free copy of Vista, XP, and Win2000...

Come to think about it, I can't think of the last Microsoft product(that wasn't a game or xbox360 related) I personally paid for...:laugh:
funny do you have the same source as me though :nutkick:
Posted on Reply
#10
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
cdawall said:
funny do you have the same source as me though :nutkick:
I have various sources, all semi-legal.:D

Of course I have to buy all 100% legal copies for my business.:banghead:
Posted on Reply
#11
farlex85
No love for the self-built crowd, I suppose microsoft figures they're going to buy it for the hell of it anyway. :(
Posted on Reply
#12
Easy Rhino
Linux Advocate
newtekie1 said:
Thats why Microsoft sells Upgrade versions, though it does suck that we have to upgrade again so quickly. At least it isn't nearly as quick as the transition from Win2000 to XP.
i know this is besides the point but i hate upgrade discs. i want a fresh install!
Posted on Reply
#13
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Easy Rhino said:
i know this is besides the point but i hate upgrade discs. i want a fresh install!
Clean installs are possible with the upgrade discs.:toast:
Posted on Reply
#14
GSG-9
I think its time to distribute from usb drives, Windows 7 is the first time I made that transition, I did do a reinstall with the disk for comparison. The usb drive was MUCH faster to load, it was a refreshing change for a Windows OS install.
Posted on Reply
#15
BrooksyX
GSG-9 said:
I think its time to distribute from usb drives, Windows 7 is the first time I made that transition, I did do a reinstall with the disk for comparison. The usb drive was MUCH faster to load, it was a refreshing change for a Windows OS install.
It would cost Microsoft billions of extra of dollars to do this. Flash memory is many times more expensive than stamping a DVD with the install image. Like a few cents vs. a couple dollars. I don't see it happening any time soon.

Its not really that hard to do anyways, just drag n drop the dvd image onto a flash drive.
Posted on Reply
#16
PCpraiser100
BrooksyX said:
It would cost Microsoft billions of extra of dollars to do this. Flash memory is many times more expensive than stamping a DVD with the install image. Like a few cents vs. a couple dollars. I don't see it happening any time soon.

Its not really that hard to do anyways, just drag n drop the dvd image onto a flash drive.
it doesn;t matter, just ask the store to extract the ISO with Microsoft's supervison. Easy!
Posted on Reply
#17
BrooksyX
PCpraiser100 said:
it doesn;t matter, just ask the store to extract the ISO with Microsoft's supervison. Easy!
What? That didn't make any since. What are you getting at? :confused:
Posted on Reply
#18
GSG-9
or even sell windows AS an image or extracted files at stores. No media what so ever from Microsoft. They would be saving billions of extra dollars.
Posted on Reply
#19
Triprift
Easy Rhino said:
the title of the article is a bit misleading. it makes it sound like those of us who own a copy of vista could get a free upgrade to windows 7. it should include something about OEM partners.

i am hoping that i don't have to pay for windows 7 if it comes out sometime next year. i cant believe i spent $200 on a OS that is going to be considered old after 3 years...
Latest i read its predicted to be out late this year around about Christmas time would be sweet if it was true.
Posted on Reply
#20
kiriakost
BrooksyX said:
It would cost Microsoft billions of extra of dollars to do this. Flash memory is many times more expensive than stamping a DVD
If OS cost 120 - 200 EU and Bill , this cheap dog .. haves problems to pay 8$ for a Flash media,
then its time for all of as , to move at Linux .. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#21
qwerty_lesh
how about you first Fanboi. we'll watch and observe the fyne game compatability you experience.
Posted on Reply
#22
Ongaku
*sigh* no fair...us people that stayed true to Windows XP get nothing :mad:
Posted on Reply
#23
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
Of course not, why would Microsoft reward you for sticking with XP?
Posted on Reply
#24
mtosev
i have a dell . maybe i get a free upgrade.
Posted on Reply
#25
mtosev
Ongaku said:
*sigh* no fair...us people that stayed true to Windows XP get nothing :mad:
using xp now is like using an ibm personal pc (1981) in the year 2000. it's time to move on.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment