• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX295's future not bright enough to wear shades?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
just came across this less than stellar article about the GTX295.

from The Inquirer

NVIDIA IS SET to trickle out the latest batch of 55nm parts. Expreview has some pictures and tidbits about the latest 55nm GT200/GT200b here, and some GX2 info here.

It looks like the on-again, off again GT200GX2 is on again, and it is called the GTX295. Yay. The 55nm parts, internally code named GT206, are finally trickling out like we said they would, with no speed increases, and no power gains. What should have been a simple optical shrink is turning into a totally botched job, with the 'real' 55nm parts unlikely to come out until late January at the earliest following yet another spin.

Given the lack of gains with the B2 stepping, the GX2/GTX295 still seem unmakable in volume, but such trifling concerns have never stopped Nvidia in the past. We hear they are going to launch it even though they can't make it, along with the requisite 19 parts to Newegg so they can claim it is on sale. Real volume won't happen until (if?) they can fix the power problems.

We hear that the 'launch' is likely going to happen at a shindig on the 12th of December so they can claim the win they promised before the end of the year. One has to wonder if cherry picking parts in an attempt to use tame press to snow the public is the definition of 'Whoop-ass'? I am sure they will claim a stunning victory in any case.

One way you can tell how screwed up the chip is is the use of a heat spreader and a stiffener (the metal ring around the chip). If you have a big die, you need mechanical support for it, or it can crack or break bumps. A stiffening ring is usually the cheapest and most efficient way to go, but in many cases, a heat spreader will do the same job.

The problem with a heat spreader is that it introduces two additional thermal barriers, the paste under the lid and the lid itself, to the cooling of the silicon. Each one makes cooling incrementally less efficient, not to mention material and assembly costs. You don't do this unless you have to.

If you are wondering why every modern CPU out there has one, the answer is simple, so ham-handed monkeys like most DIY people don't crack the die when they clamp the heatsink on. Think AMD K8 here. CPU makers think the cost of a spreader, and the reduction in performance it brings, is worth the protection it gives.

GPUs however come assembled. Factory robots don't break chips, so the mechanical protection is not an issue, but the costs remains. So, why did Nvidia do it on the GT200? They can't control hot spots. The lid is a heat spreader, and it helps keep chips with poor hot spot control alive and working.

When you see a heat spreader on a part that comes assembled, it is a pretty sure sign something is wrong thermally, it simply is not worth the cost and performance drop otherwise. Make no mistake, the spreader and stiffener combo on the GT200b is a bad bad sign.

Why is the GT200b such a clustered filesystem check? We heard the reason, and it took us a long time to actually believe it, they used the wrong DFM (Design For Manufacturing) tools for making the chip. DFM tools are basically a set of rules from a fab that tell you how to make things on a given process.

These rules can be specific to a single process node, say TSMC 55nm, or they can cover a bunch of them. In this case, the rules basically said what you can or can not do at 65nm in order to have a clean optical shrink to 55nm, and given the upcoming GT216, likely 40nm as well. If you follow them, going from 65nm to 55nm is as simple as flipping a switch.

Nvidia is going to be about 6 months late with flipping a switch, after three jiggles (GT200-B0, -B1 and -B2), it still isn't turning on the requested light, but given the impending 55nm 'launch', it is now at least making sparking sounds.

The real question is, with all the constraints and checks in place, how the heck did Nvidia do such a boneheaded thing? Sources told us that the answer is quite simple, arrogance. Nvidia 'knew better', and no one is going to tell them differently. It seems incredulous unless you know Nvidia, then it makes a lot of sense.

If it is indeed true, they will be chasing GT200 shrink bugs long after the supposed release of the 40nm/GT216. In fact, I doubt they will get it right without a full relayout, something that will not likely happen without severely impacting future product schedules. If you are thinking that this is a mess, you have the right idea.

The funniest part is what is happening to the derivative parts. Normally you get a high end device, and shortly after, a mid-range variant comes out that is half of the previous part, and then a low end SKU that is 1/4 of the big boy. Anyone notice that there are all of zero GT200 spinoffs on the roadmap? The mess has now officially bled over into the humor column.

ouch!! He doesn't paint a pretty picture.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
interesting, but i dont how trusted this source is. but i think it confirms the general trend that nvidia is not the powerhouse it used to be, their GPUs are facing stiff competition from ATI and their chipset division hasnt been heard from lately.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
interesting, but i dont how trusted this source is. but i think it confirms the general trend that nvidia is not the powerhouse it used to be, their GPUs are facing stiff competition from ATI and their chipset division hasnt been heard from lately.

Maybe so but I wouldn't count them out just yet . ;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The first half of the story consists of describing Nvidia's poor practice of using thermal paste, stiffeners, and IHS's. No different from G80 and they turned out to be fine cards. It would be nice if they tried a little more in the efficiency department. People will still buy them.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313

ATI has been rubbing it in their face as well recently - if ATI continues on their current war-path, nVidia will be forced to change and at least move up to "current" technology . . . meaning, GDDR4 or GDDR5, getting away from the monolithic processors, etc.

as to Inq - they're hit or miss, take their articles with a grain of salt . . . they're the wiki of the tech-reporting world.

The first half of the story consists of describing Nvidia's poor practice of using thermal paste, stiffeners, and IHS's. No different from G80 and they turned out to be fine cards. It would be nice if they tried a little more in the efficiency department. People will still buy them.

yep, people will still buy nVidia - the 1337-fans are numerous. Has a lot to do, IMO, with how widespread nVidia has their logo and name.

HolyCow02

System Name Shredder
Processor Phenom II 955 @stock (for the time being)
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua U12P
Memory 8 GB muskin DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-6-18
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB
Storage 64 GB Super Talent UltraDrive SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Black 500GB in RAID1
Display(s) Samsung 22" 2ms GTG
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Vista Business 64-bit
The Inq is on and off. And off course it won't matter how bad the heating is, nvidia fanboys will still buy the card and tout it's greatness. Just like ATI people did with the 2900 series, which everyone knew was horrible

cooler

The article maybe BS

But

The funniest part is what is happening to the derivative parts. Normally you get a high end device, and shortly after, a mid-range variant comes out that is half of the previous part, and then a low end SKU that is 1/4 of the big boy. Anyone notice that there are all of zero GT200 spinoffs on the roadmap? .

mmm... interesting

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Funny how every one want's to put that stake in Nvidia's heart when it takes a HD4870 with 1 GB of ram to best ( and not by much ) a GTX260 ! Makes me laugh and it takes a card that is ratted to run at 110c The HD4870 X2 2GB of ram to beat the GTX260 ! then this ? COME on ! I call BS! Sounds like some one is desperate to see Nvidia go down . Just like they want Intel to go down when AMD is talked about !

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
I just read some other stuff from the same writer and he does seem to have negative view of the green team. I guess time will tell.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Jen Hsun Huang's dog raped Charlie's dog. Since then they don't get along well...bad speculation, isn't it?

NVIDIA is taking its sweet time releasing its 55nm G200 parts, meaning they're not taking chances with it. They could've rushed it in, but as you can see, you won't even be seeing them in for the crucial Xmas shopping season. Tells you something about NV.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
yep, people will still buy nVidia - the 1337-fans are numerous. Has a lot to do, IMO, with how widespread nVidia has their logo and name.

agreed right there, i used mostly Nvidia until now myself. I do like their cards and mobos, and you are right, their name recognition is huge so its not only fanboys who'll be buying their stuff. Its in the interest of the consumer that nvidia releases something darn good to keep the balance in the GPU market.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
agreed right there, i used mostly Nvidia until now myself. I do like their cards and mobos, and you are right, their name recognition is huge so its not only fanboys who'll be buying their stuff. Its in the interest of the consumer that nvidia releases something darn good to keep the balance in the GPU market.

they'll continue - it's a shame, though, as I've mentioned before, ATI would greatly benefit from some of the same marketing tactics. If they got their name out there more, people would buy.

At one point, I had mentioned the idea that ATI could start asking the big CGI movie companies to place a 15-20 second add at the beginning of their film . . . most of the companies that do these movies had said they use ATI and/or AMD hardware for production, imagine how many people would see the ATI/AMD logo when these films come out, and agian when released to DVD? ATI have been known and regarded for a very long time as having superiror IQ, and people wanting to build a media center PC, with a focus on HD media, would be more apt at purchasing ATI if they believed those components to be superior in IQ . . .

ATI's marketing division has been in need of a thorough overhaul since the X1000 series

Funny how every one want's to put that stake in Nvidia's heart when it takes a HD4870 with 1 GB of ram to best ( and not by much ) a GTX260 ! Makes me laugh and it takes a card that is ratted to run at 110c The HD4870 X2 2GB of ram to beat the GTX260 ! then this ? COME on ! I call BS! Sounds like some one is desperate to see Nvidia go down . Just like they want Intel to go down when AMD is talked about !

average 4870 doesn't have 1GB GDDR5, only 512 - the top tier cards have 1GB.

Even still, at market release, the 4870 was over $100 cheaper than a 260 - why would anyone purchase a 260 at that price point? The only thing that has kept the 260 competitive is the massive price-hacks nVidia had to administer to their products.

BTW, a 4870x2 slaughters a GTX260, and is a match for a GTX 280. Actually, the 4870x2 and GTX280 are pretty close in most aspects - but if you're looking for a single car solution, and have a large monitor, the 4870x2 is the better option.

I think If they could, they already do it, too costly for those ads.
That's why some people still ask what Pentium this is, when your computer is an AMD one.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I think If they could, they already do it, too costly for those ads.
That's why some people still ask what Pentium this is, when your computer is an AMD one.

good point by itself - AMD nor ATI have ever really had the funds like Intel or nVidia for marketing (although ATI had been capable of it in the past). But, like most things, there can be no rewards without them having made an effort to do something - you must take a risk to earn from it.

But, the red camp has always played it safe . . .

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x

Meh, I could care less either way, who is on 'top.'

I just want GPUs to stop touting "100FPS!" And start shouting, "Minimum 40FPS garunteed!"

The G80 was the last card that even sparked me to be slightly impressed.

W

wolf2009

NVIDIA is taking its sweet time releasing its 55nm G200 parts, meaning they're not taking chances with it. They could've rushed it in, but as you can see, you won't even be seeing them in for the crucial Xmas shopping season. Tells you something about NV.

Tells you that maybe something is wrong at NV. They are not at the forefront of technology. Late to 55nm, late to DX10.1, late to DX9, late to GDDR4, GDDR5.

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 2x8GB Gskill DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super
Storage Samsung EVO 970 1TB
Display(s) 2xAOC Curved 24" 144hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L
Power Supply CORSAIR RMX (White) RM750x
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software Windows 10 Pro

4870x2 creams the gtx260, and takes the gtx280 down, espically at higher resoultions.
It doesn't matter how much ram is on the thing (you also left out the fact that it is ddr5), It's about the price/performance, and ATI has won this round.
And yes, market release was just crazy. The 9800gtx vs the 4850 was epic, then the gtx260 and gtx280 come out expensive and then 4870 comes along and rocks things. And then 4870x2 was mostly everything we expected.

And did anyone notice when you install CCC and display drivers that it advertises ATI video cards.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Tells you that maybe something is wrong at NV. They are not at the forefront of technology. Late to 55nm, late to DX10.1, late to DX9, late to GDDR4, GDDR5.

agreed, and they'll be late to DX11, PCIE 3.0, GDDR6, etc, etc

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
lol... this is gooooood stuff. I love a little bit of healthy smack-talkin... Nvidia wants the performance crown in the single card dept. that is why theyr'e going with the 295.

that may be but they are never later than the developers!... what good is dx10.1 and 11 if no one uses it yet? the 55nm bit is true tho, they sat on their butts because they dominated for so long and got what they finally deserved.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Tells you that maybe something is wrong at NV.

No, it tells you they aren't taking any chances, and making sure current inventories of GTX 260 (192), 260 (216) and 280 get digested. GTX 260 (192) at $200~$220 and Core 216 for a little more, are enough to let NV sail through xmas.

HolyCow02

System Name Shredder
Processor Phenom II 955 @stock (for the time being)
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua U12P
Memory 8 GB muskin DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-6-18
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB
Storage 64 GB Super Talent UltraDrive SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Black 500GB in RAID1
Display(s) Samsung 22" 2ms GTG
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Vista Business 64-bit
4870x2 creams the gtx260, and takes the gtx280 down, espically at higher resoultions.
It doesn't matter how much ram is on the thing (you also left out the fact that it is ddr5), It's about the price/performance, and ATI has won this round.
And yes, market release was just crazy. The 9800gtx vs the 4850 was epic, then the gtx260 and gtx280 come out expensive and then 4870 comes along and rocks things. And then 4870x2 was mostly everything we expected.

And did anyone notice when you install CCC and display drivers that it advertises ATI video cards.

I would hope they would advertise their cards, since they are the only cards that can use those drivers. So you only see the ad's when you own one of their cards already...;)

If anything, they need to advertise that a certain game was developed on their hardware... like at the beginning of Crysis where you saw the Nvidia and Intel logos

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
I've got to agree the 4870x2 is a brilliant piece of machinery, and I kind of hesitate to think a 260x2 can beat it. There's one thing this article is saying is that 55nm GTX2xx cards may take a while before they work perfectly. Come on guys the 65nm cards work beautifully. After owning a couple I prefer them to ATi cards for gaming, and I was excited for 55nm but I had heard there were problems with their process. Problems with converting that much of a chip into a small space doesn't surprise me. You probably won't see too much of a difference between the 65nm and 55nm as much as you would see a difference between 65nm and 45nm. Personally I think nVidia should just drop the 55nm and get straight to working on their next big idea. Staying one step behind the competition is no way to win in this bear market.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I've got to agree the 4870x2 is a brilliant piece of machinery, and I kind of hesitate to think a 260x2 can beat it. There's one thing this article is saying is that 55nm GTX2xx cards may take a while before they work perfectly. Come on guys the 65nm cards work beautifully. After owning a couple I prefer them to ATi cards for gaming, and I was excited for 55nm but I had heard there were problems with their process. Problems with converting that much of a chip into a small space doesn't surprise me. You probably won't see too much of a difference between the 65nm and 55nm as much as you would see a difference between 65nm and 45nm. Personally I think nVidia should just drop the 55nm and get straight to working on their next big idea. Staying one step behind the competition is no way to win in this bear market.

I would agree on that, but nVidia have been proving quite the opposite for years now . . .

but, when ATI does stick it to them, I'm sure it hurts. The last time nVidia felt this kind of competition from ATI was the X1900 series.

This competition is good for us all, though. We will see more innovative products (instead of the re-hashing/re-stickering that goes on when competition isn't up to par . . . *cough*nVidia*cough*), and pushing for new tech to oust the competition.

W

wolf2009

No, it tells you they aren't taking any chances, and making sure current inventories of GTX 260 (192), 260 (216) and 280 get digested. GTX 260 (192) at $200~$220 and Core 216 for a little more, are enough to let NV sail through xmas.

you talk like you know all and end of it, you are forgetting this is all speculation. Nobody except the people working at NV know the concrete truth.

I said "Maybe". I didn't say it something was definitely wrong at NV .