• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATIWinflash bug

TheCapulet

Since there's no board for this bit of software, this one seems like the best spot avaliable for my problem.

I want to use RBE to flash my 3870, but when I click flash and then browse and piont it to Winflash, I get the message: No ATI video card could be found. Try winflash directly. If winflash can't find your card, try ATIFlash.
After this, I notice that WinFlash is running in my programs, and wont end after any effort short of hitting the reset button. And I'm serious... I cant even restart using windows.

ATIFlash is obviously very old, without support for 64bit OS, and not even sure if it supports my card.

So I run Winflash directly. This is what I get: Critical file missing. Please, download and run video bios flash files again.

So I've redownloaded. I've tried 4 previous versions. And no matter what I do, or what version I use, these problems keep repeating.

Can anyone help me?

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
ATIFlash is obviously very old, without support for 64bit OS, and not even sure if it supports my card.

Right, it doesn't support 64 bit OSes. It doesn't even support 32 bit OSes 'cause it's a DOS program. :rolleyes:
However, it's not old. Your card is supported, trust me.

So I run Winflash directly. This is what I get: Critical file missing. Please, download and run video bios flash files again.

I can't help you but this is obviously the reason why RBE can't work using WinFlash, too. Did you follow the download link to WinFlash from inside RBE itself?

TheCapulet

Right, it doesn't support 64 bit OSes. It doesn't even support 32 bit OSes 'cause it's a DOS program.
However, it's not old. Your card is supported, trust me.
Right. I realized this not long after I posted this thread, and then realized something else. I cant edit recently posted threads. Woops. Is ATIFlash bootable?

I can't help you but this is obviously the reason why RBE can't work using WinFlash, too. Did you follow the download link to WinFlash from inside RBE itself?
Yes, actually. Infact, t hat's what I tried first, right before 4 older revisions. All of them produced the same errors.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Did you follow the download link to WinFlash from inside RBE itself?

Yeah I would try and download WinFlash again, as I have used RBE to flash my HD3870 three times in the past two days without any trouble at all.

EDIT:I see we posted at the same time..yes you can make a bootable floppy, disc or USB and put ATIFlash on it with the bios you want to flash.

System Name The Shroomiest One!
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock x570 Taichi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 2x16gb T-Create Expert 3600C14
Video Card(s) NVidia RTX 3090 Founder Edition
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2tb, 2 x Team Group MP34 4tb
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply EVGA 1000w Supernova
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
sorry to revive and old thread but im getting the same critical file missing error. anyone ever figure this out?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
64 bit operating systems are not supported.

Use a bootable CD-ROM, Floppy, USB drive. I used Isomaker to insert the files I needed into a Windows 98 clean boot image, then nero to burn it to a CD-R, flahed my 4850 and haven't looked back.

mascondante

I know this thread is ancient but since it's the only one that discusses the topic let me say I discovered the issue for me was a corrupt catalyst installation. Totally unrelated to the first message saying I wasn't running as admin (yes, I was running as administrator). Uninstall and cleanup did the trick. Hope this helps someone in the future.

XREDXRUMXX

I know this thread is ancient but since it's the only one that discusses the topic let me say I discovered the issue for me was a corrupt catalyst installation. Totally unrelated to the first message saying I wasn't running as admin (yes, I was running as administrator). Uninstall and cleanup did the trick. Hope this helps someone in the future.
What do you mean by cleanup?

This post goes back a ways but if anyone has some new insight I could definitely use it I have a current windows 10 pro and I am getting critical file missing regardless off what version of winflash I download

sarahmoraes

Okay so I was going through the same issue and thats how it worked for me:
BEFORE run amdvbflashWin.exe, run as admin amdvbflash.exe and then AMDVBFlashDriverInstaller.exe (as admin too)

A CMD will open, type -i then hit enter, wait for it to conclude then close. The program should work now. Welp, it worked for me. That's it.
Anyways sorry if my english is bad, it is my third language

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
the included readme.txt explains: