• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best fans to go with Fesar one?

J2k

What are the best fans to go with on the fesar one. sound/price isn't too important.

Thanks

K

kyle2020

erm can you explain a bit more? I assume your watercooling, if so, tell us your specs!

J2k

Alright sure, I'm building a loop currently just for a 775 and nb setup, eventually going to go core i7/nb loop.

It's looking like this, none of the parts are ordered yet - GTZ cpu block, Feser One X240 Rad, Swiftech MCP355 w/ XSPC Rad Top.

I'm just not sure what would be the best fans to cool the Feser would be, I want optimal cooling, but not sure which way to go.

K

kyle2020

hmm, looks like quite a nice loop!

You have to consider two things - CFM (how much air they move) and sound. Im personally a silence freak, so im replacing the yate loons on my Xflow next week to some much quieter, yet same airflow fans.

If your looking for a good line between air flow / sound, try these.

If your a slience freak like myself, I have found these that I am ordering, or something like this.

Its all dependant on sound to airflow ratio really.

J2k

Thanks. of those fans you suggested, will there be any noticeable difference in temps? the problem I'm having is finding the fans that will give me the coolest temps. I'm not too worried about sound, they will be on a fan controller so if they get too loud I'll lower and turn up when needed.

how well do the noctuas rate?

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Feser Xchanger and Thermochill PA series rads are best used in conjunctiuon with low and medium speed fans. So you have a wide range of fans to pick from. Yate Loon, Noctua, Cooler Master, Panaflo all make very good fans in that range. There are of course other manufacturers as well. If you are very noise sensitive pick the lowest dba fans, if not go with the best CFM/noise ratio but stay under 70CFM for these rads.

Reactions: J2k
K

kyle2020

Feser Xchanger and Thermochill PA series rads are best used in conjunctiuon with low and medium speed fans. So you have a wide range of fans to pick from. Yate Loon, Noctua, Cooler Master, Panaflo all make very good fans in that range. There are of course other manufacturers as well. If you are very noise sensitive pick the lowest dba fans, if not go with the best CFM/noise ratio but stay under 70CFM for these rads.

new news to me, thanks for that!

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
new news to me, thanks for that!

your welcome. ;)

The opposite is true for the Black Ice GTX rads, they work very well with high CFM fans (70CFM+). But they can also be used with lower speed fans. But according to my research, if you want really extreme airflow get the Black IcE GTX and pair it with some powerful fans. I know this has no relation to the OPs question but i'm just posting it for general info.

J2k

alright cool, the yate loons are looking to be the ones I'll be going with
28.5 dB. High airflow level, 62 CFM .

The noctuas were 10dB lower, but pulled of too little CFM(50) and were $4Cad more expensive.

also, if this is designed for low CFM, is there any Rad that performs better than this at higher CFM?

thanks alot everyone.

edit - oops just saw your last post KBD, going with the Black Ice series Rad and some higher fans, will there be much difference? or should I just stick to Feser+low CFM?

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
edit - oops just saw your last post KBD, going with the Black Ice series Rad and some higher fans, will there be much difference? or should I just stick to Feser+low CFM?

Well, i think that depends on what you are cooling and whether you can take the noise. Basically, the Feser Xchanger outperforms the Black Ice with medium speed fans but not a by a lot. But i would imagine that if you would mount high speed fans on both the Black Ice will come out on top. By how much, i dont know exactly since i dont recall seeing official tests but judging by user feedback the Black Ice will prevail.

J2k

Well, would it be worth it with the Black ice? like is it going to come out "that" much on top ?

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Well, would it be worth it with the Black ice? like is it going to come out "that" much on top ?

like i said i dont know exactly how better the Black Ice with high CFM fans will be vs the Feser with low/medium fans because i dont recall seeing any tests comparing these 2 with those kind of fans. Indirectly, a lot points to Black Ice being a better performer w/ powerful fans, including some unofficial tests done by enthusiasts. I myself would like to see some official comparison between the 2. At the end of the day, i think either one is a great choice, these are the best rads on the market.

Edit: if you are doing watercooling i think you will benefit from reading articles done by Martin of the now defunct Martin's Liquid Lab website, they are now published by Clunk.org.uk with his permission here:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/martins-liquid-lab-articles/

There is tons of good info there, including rad tests.

Last edited:

J2k

Alright thansk alot for all the help.

I've decided to go with http://www.svc.com/fba12g12u.html
PANAFLO FBA12G12U1BX 120MM ULTRA HIGH SPEED FAN 115CFM 45DBA

and a GTX 240.

thank you everyone. now hopefully i can overclock my e8400 a bit.

Last edited:

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Alright thansk alot for all the help.

I've decided to go with http://www.svc.com/fba12g12u.html
PANAFLO FBA12G12U1BX 120MM ULTRA HIGH SPEED FAN 115CFM 45DBA

and a GTX 240.

thank you everyone. now hopefully i can overclock my e8400 a bit.

good choice of fans for that rad. You may also want to look at Scythe Ultra Kaze and Delta fans if you want more choices. Dual rad would be perfect for that CPU.

J2k

yeah, i wouldn't mind going with the ultra kazes, it's just that the sleeve bearing doesn't handle to well when it is lying down. I've heard alot of complaints about it and other sleeve beerings making sounds when they're undervolted and lying down.

also, when i upgrade to the core i7, how good will this build actually be? core i7 is apparently 130-150TDP, will I be able to overclock much?

Thank you for all your help too.

K

kyle2020

yeah, i wouldn't mind going with the ultra kazes, it's just that the sleeve bearing doesn't handle to well when it is lying down. I've heard alot of complaints about it and other sleeve beerings making sounds when they're undervolted and lying down.

Thank you for all your help too.

is that true? Both my loons are layed down, that might be why they make a faint rumble whilst they run :ohwell:

KBD

Cooling Water
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
yeah its just the way the bearing type works.

could be the case, dont know. i just know that they are very good fans.