• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Set up a Backup Device?

ohmystars80

Hi, I'm trying to get an automated solution going. What I need is some device/drive that copies any and all changes made to your PC onto a backup drive automatically. I don't want it to overwrite anything, I need previous versions of the same file to be available.
If I even need to go back to a previous version of a file I deleted (damn I hate when I do that!!) I would like to use windows directory or maybe my browser to go to the device/drive and fine the file. So, if I make a change to a file I would have all the previous versions if I needed it.
I would want it to be a complete system copy – it would in effect take a complete image of my HDD so I can use it to restore the system to the last working image – I really need this, since I keep getting a viruses from blogs and forums.
I mean, it would be like a normal usb portable drive, maybe 1TB – but it would do all this stuff automatically, and when I need a file or a fresh re-imaging I would go into a simple Windows like interface and do it.
I think 1 TB would be enough, and I don’t know if there is any software that would delete the older files if it needs more space for the newer files.
Does such a device/drive exist?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Maybe RAID 1? As far as software solutions, I will be honest. No clue here!

EDIT:
... in continuation ...

Then again RAID 1, will not keep a "previous" copy of an old file.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than likely you need to get your own drive (external or internal) of the size you want and use imaging software( I myself, use Acronis True Image, which, I do have on a schedule to run every other day when computer is idle and when disk is full it overwrites the oldest data.)

Or :http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=355&language=en

http://www.goclickfree.com/

http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup/external-drives/maxtor-onetouch-4-plus.html

Or try one of these:http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=3&sort=4

Maybe RAID 1? As far as software solutions, I will be honest. No clue here!

EDIT:
... in continuation ...

Then again RAID 1, will not keep a "previous" copy of an old file.

RAID is per definition not a backup. RAID 1 is a mirror, ie virus = bye bye data. Editing your word document and figuring you just deleted 6 hours of work = bye bye data.

How much data are you trying to backup? If the TB disk is enough for you (they're dirt cheap nowadays anyway) I'd put one of those in some external box and simply use ntbackup to do an incremental backup. Do make sure you disconnect to drive after a backup and place it somewhere else. If it's connected it'll still be a target of viruses and the likes.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Try Cobian, its free and works well.

ohmystars80

Thanks for all the help guys - I'll post back if I run into any problems trying to set this up!