• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good water Cooling......??

zucchini

I know nothing about water cooling except, well......water is cooling your PC hardware :laugh:

Can someone tell me the best water cooling stuff to have and why? That would be AMAZING, thank ahead of time!

System Name Dark Aurora
Processor Intel e6600 @ 4.09ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Formula x38
Cooling Custom Water Cooling on Cpu and Gpu
Memory 4gb Corsair DDR-2 800mhz/ 2gb Patriot DDR-2 1066mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 8800gt 512mb
Storage 160gb Maxtor, 250gb Western Digital, 320gb Maxtor
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Gigabyte Aurora 570 (Black)
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750W
Software Dual boot Windows XP/Fedora 8
Benchmark Scores AM3 201,045 Super Pi 12.453s @ 4.09ghz
Depends on what your budget looks like.

Sure you can easily drop more than a grand on a godlike loop, but for most situations you don't need to go that direction.

1 or 2 MCR320's, Swiftech GTZ, and a Laing DDC MCP355 with a res-top can handle just about anything. Throw in gpu blocks if you want and boom, your done.

zucchini

Depends on what your budget looks like.

Sure you can easily drop more than a grand on a godlike loop, but for most situations you don't need to go that direction.

1 or 2 MCR320's, Swiftech GTZ, and a Laing DDC MCP355 with a res-top can handle just about anything. Throw in gpu blocks if you want and boom, your done.

Can you post up a link to that stuff? Also a case to get, or does it not matter :laugh: because i have some cases in mind, unless i need to buy a specific case for it.

System Name Dark Aurora
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Can you post up a link to that stuff? Also a case to get, or does it not matter :laugh: because i have some cases in mind, unless i need to buy a specific case for it.

I still need to know what this loop will be cooling...

zucchini

Sorry, it is for my gaming rig. Not exactly sure on the specs yet but it will be nice. I will have quad core, 8 GB RAM, SLI graphic cards......ummm anything else you need, just let me know. THANKS! :toast:

System Name Dark Aurora
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
What processor...

That's really the big one because not all blocks are universal among socket types.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess i7?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
I know nothing about water cooling except, well......water is cooling your PC hardware :laugh:

Can someone tell me the best water cooling stuff to have and why? That would be AMAZING, thank ahead of time!

Water cooling IMO has been a traditional means to further overclock your CPU and GPU at the cost of:
A. Modding your PC case to accommodate radiator, reservoir or T-Line and additional fans
B. Increase in Fan noise
to name a few. The purpose of water cooling (again IMO) is more of hobby then a necessity. In order to obtain lower temps you are more then likely going to put out a good amount of money for it. $100-$350+ depending on what and who you buy from.

If you are still interested then the next step is getting a general understanding of what parts are needed:
-CPU water block
-GPU water block
-back plate (This is essential. You don't want to bow your motherboard when torquing your CPU and/or GPU water block(s))
-Tubing (You have to take into account it's size, bend radius and durability)
-Barbs (Size will correlate to tubing size)
-Radiator (The best radiators are those that cool the liquid best at lower CFM IMO)
-Reservoir (As long as the barbs are not at the bottom of the res you should be fine but build quality is equally important)
-Clamps (Used to attach the tubing to the barb. IMO the metal worms are the best) or T-line
-Liquid (distilled water IMO is the best liquid you can use along with a few drops of PT Nuke)
-Water Pump (you want a efficient, reliable pump)

After you have decided on all your part it's all about locations, Location, LOCATION. The reservoir should always be elevated higher then the pump. If you use a T-Line it should be placed next to the pump IMO. This is also the time where you want to map out were your pump, res and rad will be placed on your PC. This takes a tad bit of creativity as most PC cases don't offer any specific locations for these parts.

If you look at my sig there are threads for both water cooling and air cooling. If you are looking for ideas.

Last edited:

zucchini

with the processor, im going AMD, not a big fan of intel. Im going for a 3.5 quad core AMD