• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cpu multiplier and transistor count..

computerlab

System Name l2aZor
Processor intel core2duo E4400
Motherboard intel dg965ry
Cooling air cooled
Memory 2gb 800Mhz kingston
Video Card(s) sapphire hd3850 512mb
Storage seagate 500gb sataII
Display(s) lg 15" lcd
Case normal...:P
Audio Device(s) onboard high definition audio(IDT Audio)
Power Supply bundled with the case..:D
Software windows vista ultimate 32bit
plz help me with the question that whether the transistor count increases with increase in multiplier in a same series of processors?
my catch here is that why do we say that the overclockability of higher model is more?
just because of higher multiplier or some thing else...

my practical life example:
i'm having a sempron clocked at 1.8 ghz and another clocked at 2.1ghz both with 256kb l2 cache. wen i overclock both of them @2.4 both of them give the same performance that i benchmarked using 3dmark05. the diff is that the model with 9x multiplier reaches 2.4ghz @266 fsb and the model with 10.5x multiplier reaches 2.4ghz @228 fsb... and no increase in performance is noticed in both of them if fsb is increased further.
so why do we prefer higher model for overclocking?

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
I don't know exactly what you mean there, but:
A higher multiplier means you need less FSB for the same overclock (as you mention).
Basically, you would be able to clock it higher with the same FSB, so you might be able to get a better clock out of it.

plz help me with the question that whether the transistor count increases with increase in multiplier in a same series of processors?
my catch here is that why do we say that the overclockability of higher model is more?

my practical life example:
i'm having a sempron clocked at 1.8 ghz and another clocked at 2.1ghz both with 256kb l2 cache. wen i overclock both of them @2.4 both of them give the same performance that i benchmarked using 3dmark05. the diff is that the model with 9x multiplier reaches 2.4ghz @266 fsb and the model with 10.5x multiplier reaches 2.4ghz @228 fsb... and no increase in performance is noticed in both of them if fsb is increased further.

Transistor count is completely unrelated, I'm not even sure why you bring it up since your question doesn't include it.

Basically chipsets and CPU's can't just endlessly increase the FSB as this wil stress the bus more. However, the multiplier doesn't have this limit. So say your chipset won't like anything past 333Mhz, increasing the multiplier still gets you a higher clock. Of course this has a limit as well. Of course lowering the multiplier often allows a slightly higher FSB as well, you'll just have to find the right balance here.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU

The higher count of transistors forces more relaxed memory timings on the core pipeline.
All cores have an amount of memory in them ( simple explanation) .

The core with the internal memory , it is one complete "engine" , to perform calculations .

The word "pipeline" is the "connector " who connects its transistor with the core memory.
As more high is the transistors count , equally long are also and the pipeline.

Conclusions:
No1 : More transistors count = more long pipeline .
No2 : Long pipelines needs more relaxing timings , than small pipelines, " so to offer enough time " to all the transistors to communicate with the core memory simultaneously.

Practical example with DDR memory: a modo with DDR timings 4-4-4-8 OC better than DDR with 2-2-2-5 .
Why ?

Because by elevating MHZ speed , the memory handles the more speed based on the timings that it has at default latency , if the MHz speed get higher than normal , it comes to the point , that balance is lost In our "Calculating engine", and that causes the known CPU errors .

The need for "long pipeline" can be caused , or because of more transistor count as Core transistors , or as memory transistors .

"Thats my simplified explanation."

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

it doesn't increase as long as you stay within the same core and revision (conroe b1 whatever). all conroe b1 of all frequencies and all multipliers are physically the same.

because there is binning. every produced chip is tested for maximum speed and then sorted by that. obviously higher maximum chips are used for the faster product

because a higher model is usually from a better bin = higher maximum clock frequency. since higher models also often have a lower multiplier it allows you to reach higher clock speed without increasing fsb (or its equivalent) too much. the higher your fsb the faster memory (and other components) you need. while there is no limit with the 200ish fsb you mentioned it becomes a real limit at a certain point.
also "extreme edition" processors have their multiplier unlocked so you can overclock without changing the fsb

computerlab

System Name l2aZor
Processor intel core2duo E4400
Motherboard intel dg965ry
Cooling air cooled
Memory 2gb 800Mhz kingston
Video Card(s) sapphire hd3850 512mb
Storage seagate 500gb sataII
Display(s) lg 15" lcd
Case normal...:P
Audio Device(s) onboard high definition audio(IDT Audio)
Power Supply bundled with the case..:D
Software windows vista ultimate 32bit
well thank you everyone...i think my doubts are all cleared...
thanks again..

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Well first of all, higher "binned" chips are just better quality chips, for example the E8400 and E8600 are exactly the same thing, except chips branded "E8600" just happened to come out better than others (branded "E8400"), and so since they came out better, they were given a higher multiplier, which equals a higher core speed, and a higher selling price. Lower binned chips can't OC as far for 2 reasons: first, they just happened to come out worse than other chips, and second they don't get as big of a multiplier as others so that limits them too.