• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Have any of you used the Linux drivers for the X-Fi? I'm glad after years they finally exist, but the sound quality is awful. I would still be better off with my integrated audio if I wasn't too lazy to switch in the inputs whenever I logged into linux.

I am. Actually not the drivers, but a manually installed OSS. Believe me the card sounds better than it does on Windows.

Will post the procedure in a while...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
This procedure applies to FC9 and upward. I'm on FC10 x64.

1. The OSS Fedora bundles doesn't detect X-Fi. OSS uses internal modules to detect and run sound cards. You need not install the Creative driver. Download the latest OSS from here. Download the RPM, it's the easiest to install.

2. Install the RPM in the way you like. Graphically, or "rpm -i <filename>" in the terminal as a SU. This will replace the existing OSS. Reboot.

3. Check if OSS detected your X-Fi. Navigate to /dev/oss/ . You should see the X-Fi card mapped.

4. "pcm0" is the device map for the front-out channel, the primary stereo line-out. Fedora's Sound Manager in some cases won't be able to detect the new OSS altogether, but you can specify each app, including KDE to use X-Fi, by manually pointing it to "/dev/oss/oss_sbxfi0/pcm0". If the name looks too hard to remember, simply "copy" the device in Dolphin/Nautilus like you'd copy a file, and paste in in any application's setting that ask you to specify the output device (don't forget to remove "file://" if it also gets copied). I'm showing it for VLC and XMMS, but you can do the same for every app, including Control Center.

It is important to know that in cases where Sound Manager doesn't detect OSS yet it exists, Sound Manager has no control over the card's output volume. Without OS-level volume control, the card will give out full-blast 200% output. That's 100% signal + 100% amplification. In Windows, we would note that 50% volume is 100% signal, and 100% volume is 100% amplification (200% volume). That volume can damage your headphones.

Here are some safe 100% signal volumes you can set manually in each app (when you can't using KMix / OS-level control): 50% for pre-amplified speakers (most of today's speakers), 15~20% (!) for headphones, even lower for earbuds.

Now check the audio quality ;)

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Thanks bta I'll give that a try. I'm using the drivers downloaded from the creative website and they have zero functionality besides volume control. It sounds like I'm listening through a metal pipe.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Motherboard P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 3GB G.Sill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) 8800GT @ 700/975
Storage (1)80GB With XP, (1) 320GB storage
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Case XClio Windtunnel (I love it)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply OCZ gamerXStream 700W
Great thread. Lots of useful information. Thank you.

4PLaY

Hi all,

I have an OEM Xtrememusic, on the board it says SB0460, but on the says something like MASB0467****** - This thing came with a DELL Dimension, and I think it is a DELL OEM. Now my problem lies in the fact that I could never for the life of me get the Decoder TAB to show up in audio console, plus the logos of Dolby and DTS, also does not show up in the main screen of the console launcher like in the picture below, I already know that DELL oems are crap coz they say DTS and Dolby are supported via software only e.g. PowerDVD, but I also know some people have gotten it to work with some modded drivers or the like. Now a few things I need to know that someone here might be able to answer.

1. If there are modded drivers/software suite out there like YouP-PaX that does what I want, which ones do I get, and what is the order of things that I would install them? I kinda need a guide to follow.

2. I've also noticed that the X-FI Platinum and the Xtrememusic are essentially the same card, I want to be able to Flash my card and turn it to a Platinum so I don't need modded drivers/software suite. If this is too much to ask, I would just like to Flash my card with a RETAIL Xtrememusic BIOS/Firmware, for the same reason, so I don't need to use modded drivers/software suite.

Last edited:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Those features you see are present only with the Elite Pro/Titanium. Flashing the firmware might brick your card, since the Elite Pro and Xtreme Music use essentially different PCBs and DAC configurations. The CA20K1 on the Elite Pro is also programmed to access the EAX-RAM, which the Xtreme Music lacks.

Last edited:
R

rakoch04

Problem with X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

So the issue is I have a MSI K9A2 Platinum version 1. I have updated the bios to 1.74 (when it was at version 1.3 my 8 GB ram wouldn't work (4 x 2GB)) and since haven't been able to get the card to even show up. I have taken it out and put it in, made sure that the onboard audio is disabled, (can't figure out how to totally erase it). I don't know why it won't recognize my board. There are only 2 PCI slots and the other I have a 4 port USB installed. I had issues before updating but briefly had it functioning. I used to have the x-fi in the other slot but it wouldn't show up there and so moved it to the lower slot. Is this possibly a problem with having both PCI slots filled? It seems crazy that I wouldn't be able to fill both. The only other thing I have on the system is a Powercolor 4870 graphics card. Thanks for any help you can give.

4PLaY

Those features you see are present only with the Elite Pro/Titanium. Flashing the firmware might brick your card, since the Elite Pro and Xtreme Music use essentially different PCBs and DAC configurations. The CA20K1 on the Elite Pro is also programmed to access the EAX-RAM, which the Xtreme Music lacks.

1st of all I am not talking about DDL or DTS Connect. I need driver decode for DTS and DOLBY, dont believe me?, check this link out http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=54530 Xtrememusic is supposed to support Driver decode for both Dolby and DTS. Xtrememusic and Platinum even have the same model numbers SB0460. My only issue here is that DELL crippled the card through BIOS.

2nd of all I never mentioned your Elite Pro/Titanium in flashing. ofcourse it will brick the card, I'm not an idiot. I said XFI Platinum or Xtrememusic RETAIL. I need someone to be able to tell me how to do it, what software to use, I'm pretty sure I can figure it out even if you dont tell me how to do it. ofcourse I need the bios files of either XFI Platinum or Xtrememusic RETAIL.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
1st of all I am not talking about DDL or DTS Connect. I need driver decode for DTS and DOLBY, dont believe me?, check this link out http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=54530 Xtrememusic is supposed to support Driver decode for both Dolby and DTS. Xtrememusic and Platinum even have the same model numbers SB0460. My only issue here is that DELL crippled the card through BIOS.

2nd of all I never mentioned your Elite Pro/Titanium in flashing. ofcourse it will brick the card, I'm not an idiot. I said XFI Platinum or Xtrememusic RETAIL. I need someone to be able to tell me how to do it, what software to use, I'm pretty sure I can figure it out even if you dont tell me how to do it. ofcourse I need the bios files of either XFI Platinum or Xtrememusic RETAIL.

Nobody is saying you're an idiot. He was only trying to help. Calm down.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
1. If there are modded drivers/software suite out there like YouP-PaX that does what I want, which ones do I get, and what is the order of things that I would install them? I kinda need a guide to follow.

2. I've also noticed that the X-FI Platinum and the Xtrememusic are essentially the same card, I want to be able to Flash my card and turn it to a Platinum so I don't need modded drivers/software suite. If this is too much to ask, I would just like to Flash my card with a RETAIL Xtrememusic BIOS/Firmware, for the same reason, so I don't need to use modded drivers/software suite.

. . .

2nd of all I never mentioned your Elite Pro/Titanium in flashing. ofcourse it will brick the card, I'm not an idiot. I said XFI Platinum or Xtrememusic RETAIL. I need someone to be able to tell me how to do it, what software to use, I'm pretty sure I can figure it out even if you dont tell me how to do it. ofcourse I need the bios files of either XFI Platinum or Xtrememusic RETAIL.[/QUOTE]

Well, for starters - I'd advise being a little more polite in how you phrase your responses . . . it works a lot better for everyone as a whole . . . when you come across brash and confrontational like that, other users aren't fully willing to dive right in and help out. We're not payed to put up with crap . . . hell, we're not payed to do this at all.

Anyhow - you could attempt to try one of Creative's official driver packs. OEM drivers, such as the one you're using, will sometimes have reduced features and functionality . . . it's all dependant on what the OEM is willing to license and pay for at the cheapest price to be able to install the hardware in the first place.

The retail XM cards should have the decoding capabilities, and as far as I know, it's never been deactivated in any driver pack . . . except possibly OEM drivers. Creative's can be found here: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=208&subCatName=X-Fi&prodID=14066&prodName=X-Fi+XtremeMusic

As to flashing the BIOS to turn an Xtreme Music into a Platinum . . . it'd be rather pointless. The card that accompanies the non-Fatal1ty Platinum series is the Xtreme Music. The cards are identicle in-so-far as capabilities, there might be some slight PCB differences (such as different DRAM modules, different capacitors and VRMs, etc.), but these differences are only due to card revisions and manufacturing changes. The idea with the Platinum series were to be able to offer the X-Fi I/O bay drive, along with the sound card, for a price that is *somewhat* cheaper than if you were to purchase both components seperately.

So the issue is I have a MSI K9A2 Platinum version 1. I have updated the bios to 1.74 (when it was at version 1.3 my 8 GB ram wouldn't work (4 x 2GB)) and since haven't been able to get the card to even show up. I have taken it out and put it in, made sure that the onboard audio is disabled, (can't figure out how to totally erase it). I don't know why it won't recognize my board. There are only 2 PCI slots and the other I have a 4 port USB installed. I had issues before updating but briefly had it functioning. I used to have the x-fi in the other slot but it wouldn't show up there and so moved it to the lower slot. Is this possibly a problem with having both PCI slots filled? It seems crazy that I wouldn't be able to fill both. The only other thing I have on the system is a Powercolor 4870 graphics card. Thanks for any help you can give.

Are you running XP64 or Vista64?

So, unless I didn't understand you properly . . . your X-Fi works now, correct? But when you had it installed in the other, it didn't?

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Can i offer a suggestion about this thread? Its very long and it would be nice to see some kind of a page index for the topics discussed. For instance, on the first page there are updates, why not put a page number next each so it would be easy to find that particular topic?

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Can i offer a suggestion about this thread? Its very long and it would be nice to see some kind of a page index for the topics discussed. For instance, on the first page there are updates, why not put a page number next each so it would be easy to find that particular topic?

good suggestion. I second this.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I can work on a thread sub-topic index in my spare time, that I can ask a senior mod to append to the first post.

4PLaY

@btarunr - I am extremely sorry if that came across as brash and confrontational, believe me I did not mean it to be so. So I sincerely apologize. Not only to you but to everyone who read and replied to my question. I understand everyones position and consider me put in my place. :)

@imperialreign - thank you also for replying, I've already tried installing the latest driver downloaded from the creative side, now i've downloaded an ISO for retail xtrememusic installer CD, which I doubt is going to work since I already know from others that it really is the case that OEM xtrememusic cards from DELL are limitted via bios. be that as it may, you seem to also get where im coming from. a couple of questions again for everyone... Is it possible to flash my xfi or not, regardless of what it will do to my card. treat this as your disclaimer, I will not blame anyone here if I brick my card. :) you can also consider this for all intents and purposes and purely educational. Just sizing up my options. what application/program do I need, to backup my soundcard bios and flash it with something else. :)

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
@imperialreign - thank you also for replying, I've already tried installing the latest driver downloaded from the creative side, now i've downloaded an ISO for retail xtrememusic installer CD, which I doubt is going to work since I already know from others that it really is the case that OEM xtrememusic cards from DELL are limitted via bios. be that as it may, you seem to also get where im coming from. a couple of questions again for everyone... Is it possible to flash my xfi or not, regardless of what it will do to my card. treat this as your disclaimer, I will not blame anyone here if I brick my card. :) you can also consider this for all intents and purposes and purely educational. Just sizing up my options. what application/program do I need, to backup my soundcard bios and flash it with something else. :)

TBH, I've heard that it's possible to flash the BIOS . . . but not with any software that I'm aware of. IIRC, the process involves removing the MEM module from the card that stores the information, and having to hardware flash it with the proper equipment (or the card itself can be flashed with the proper equipment).

Either way, I don't yet know of a means of flashing the APU BIOS with any application like we could a GPU, for example. If there is such an application, I'd love to know about it - I think the only aspect of the APU BIOS that would need to be changed would be the vendor ID to be able to use Creative's driver packs.

The youp-pax site probably has some of the best hard-modding threads about, which is where I remember seeing the discussions over flashing the BIOSes, and how it's accomplished. I'd pull up some thread links for you, but youp-pax.org seems to be down, ATM. :ohwell:

that's actually a good idea - as WL pointed out, though, I've been rather busy recently, and have barely even had the time to be around TPU much . . . but I'll still make an effort to respond to this thread.

I've still be meaning as well to fully update the first post with some other issues, some more general info, and expand the modding sections a bit . . . a thread index would be a great start, especially if a specific subject has been discussed in-detail within this thread; it would allow for a brief explanation within the OP, and then a link to more info.

I can work on a thread sub-topic index in my spare time, that I can ask a senior mod to append to the first post.

that would be much appreciated! If I can get some free time in the near future, I'm more than willing to help out as well. If you happen to notice anything that would be relevant for posting in the OP, or anything you'd like to add - such as Linux issues/quirks, etc. - feel free to let me know.

For everyone else, consider it an open invite to volunteer information in regards to WIN7 betas (which will hopefully ease any headaches once the retail WIN7 is released next year); and other Vista issues that might not have been covered yet . . . I don't use Vista, personally, and I have a hard time remembering a lot of the mundane and rare issues that crop up.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Creative have recently released a new WIN7 beta driver (as of Mar 04) for the X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI cards (NOT the PCI-Express varieties!). Beta version 1.04.0079, available here: http://support.creative.com/downloads/?h=7

Release Notes:
This download is a beta driver providing Microsoft® Windows® 7 Beta support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

Take note of the following:

•THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. There is no technical support for this driver.
•We recommend that only experienced users install this driver. Do not install this driver on a system used to perform critical tasks.
•Users who are looking for stable drivers should wait for the final release. When this happens, user should install the latest Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio driver available.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

•Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Requirements:

•Microsoft Windows 7 Beta

With that, there is now available a WIN7 beta driver for all X-Fi series of cards. If you are currently trying out the WIN7 beta, and own an X-Fi, please download and try out the beta drivers if you're willing, and return feedback and error reports as needed. Early feedback will more than likely greatly help in having stable drivers available once the official WIN7 OS is released.

4PLaY

TBH, I've heard that it's possible to flash the BIOS . . . but not with any software that I'm aware of. IIRC, the process involves removing the MEM module from the card that stores the information, and having to hardware flash it with the proper equipment (or the card itself can be flashed with the proper equipment).

Either way, I don't yet know of a means of flashing the APU BIOS with any application like we could a GPU, for example. If there is such an application, I'd love to know about it - I think the only aspect of the APU BIOS that would need to be changed would be the vendor ID to be able to use Creative's driver packs.

The youp-pax site probably has some of the best hard-modding threads about, which is where I remember seeing the discussions over flashing the BIOSes, and how it's accomplished. I'd pull up some thread links for you, but youp-pax.org seems to be down, ATM. :ohwell:

Yeah, Thanks they've been down for about 4 days now since I started messing with my x-fi. Good information about that vendor ID. I've come across something about using wpcredit to this effect, maybe you can confirm if it could be done this way. Vendor ID and all.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Just received my 2nd HD4870X2 and now running CFX and loving it ...got go get the Misses and then benching!Fur did nice;)

R

rakoch04

@ imperialreign - In response to both questions, both times the system was vista64 (never changed that install). I swapped the PCI slots again and for some reason it is now running. Don't know why but I'm just going to let it be for now. Otherwise nothing about the set-up changed, same bios settings, same OS settings, etc. It works and that is all that matters. Thanks for your help.

4PLaY

ok, forget about the hard modding. I just need some software driver fix to make the decoder tab appear in audio console.. anyone else have any ideas? links to the drivers i need what versions and anything else special that I need to do?

Recap:
Dell OEM SB0460/SB0470 - Xtrememusic
Windows XP SP2
No Decoder TAB in Audio Console.
No Dolby or DTS logos in Main Screen of the Console Launcher.

Specsaver

realtek xfi mod

OT, kind of
Have you guys seen the thread on realtek x-fi mod by ketxxx? Here.
All cool. But.
I don't get this guy... He modded the realtek driver to add x-fi features. (that he btw hates :wtf:) Everybody says how better their onboard sounds now with X-Fi. Free X-Fi sound so to say. Cool. The guy says he aint doing wrong or illegal cus he is not asking for money.
(going by this rationale - well, if someone burns your car or rapes your hamster whichever means more to you - just for kicks, not for money - is it allright with you? Is it?)

He says he "just" copy-pastes bits into text files - that does not make it OK either. It is still someones intelectual property, isn't it? Not going to say this there cus this guy is insane and anyone saying else is labeled "a troll" (read my sig) But I feel he is actually taking what's not his. If I wrote this code and he grabbed it like that and gave it out to everyone I would not like it... I mean there is a difference between unlocking certain features and freely copying code written for device A into driver for device B. By doing that you effectively undercut A.

I have used several Creative products and still running X-Fi in my PC. It is a good product and I doubt it is all software only. (I remember reading a lot of the processing chip was dedicated to calculate resampling. I can't imagine soft modding can take care of that...)

Anyway, I just thought this should be said somewhere.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ketxxx used the 30-day trial version of X-Fi MB. That's not illegal. There's nothing epic about that mod. Just that from being Gigabyte exclusive, it runs on any Realtek codec, which BTW, is what it was designed to be. When Ketxxx releases an X-Fi Realtek driver that is free and runs forever (no 30-trial), let us know.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
ok, forget about the hard modding. I just need some software driver fix to make the decoder tab appear in audio console.. anyone else have any ideas? links to the drivers i need what versions and anything else special that I need to do?

Recap:
Dell OEM SB0460/SB0470 - Xtrememusic
Windows XP SP2
No Decoder TAB in Audio Console.
No Dolby or DTS logos in Main Screen of the Console Launcher.

In regards to your first statement, wpcredit, not sure if and/or how well it would work - or if would even work for XP. It might be worth a shot, but without any real knowledge of the software, I have no idea if you'd run the possiblity of fubaring your card . . .

First, I would attempt to change the Vendor ID stored in XP's registry (make sure to properly backup your registry first!) [more info here: registry hardware values], Creative's Vendor ID is 0x1102- if Creative's driver packs only double check with the vendor ID stored in WIN, it might go ahead with the install. If it actually queries the hardware . . . you might be out of luck, as (aside from possibly wpcredit) I've never heard of any software that can change a hardware components vendor ID without being able to flash the hardware's BIOS.

Well, if the official Creative drivers won't work . . . you could also try daniel_k's drivers (I believe these are the most recent): http://www.driversdown.com/drivers/Creative-X-Fi-Daniel_K-driver-2.20.0000.0-WinXP-2003-Vista-2008-Win7_87836.shtml

OT, kind of
Have you guys seen the thread on realtek x-fi mod by ketxxx? Here.
All cool. But.
I don't get this guy... He modded the realtek driver to add x-fi features. (that he btw hates :wtf:) Everybody says how better their onboard sounds now with X-Fi. Free X-Fi sound so to say. Cool. The guy says he aint doing wrong or illegal cus he is not asking for money.
(going by this rationale - well, if someone burns your car or rapes your hamster whichever means more to you - just for kicks, not for money - is it allright with you? Is it?)

He says he "just" copy-pastes bits into text files - that does not make it OK either. It is still someones intelectual property, isn't it? Not going to say this there cus this guy is insane and anyone saying else is labeled "a troll" (read my sig) But I feel he is actually taking what's not his. If I wrote this code and he grabbed it like that and gave it out to everyone I would not like it... I mean there is a difference between unlocking certain features and freely copying code written for device A into driver for device B. By doing that you effectively undercut A.

I have used several Creative products and still running X-Fi in my PC. It is a good product and I doubt it is all software only. (I remember reading a lot of the processing chip was dedicated to calculate resampling. I can't imagine soft modding can take care of that...)

Anyway, I just thought this should be said somewhere.

I agree with btarunr's post . . . he's not doing anything "illegal" ATM - but were he to do the same to drivers that you have to pay for (i.e. after the 30-day trial is up), then there's an issue. As to the Creative bashing - meh . . . I think the majority of it is unfounded, as many of the bigger issues people seem to have are starting to crop up with competing audio cards as well (mostly ASUS).

As to being able to better your audio quality with those drivers . . . that's 100% questionable, subjective and hard to discern (partly why I requested someone to test the output audio quality with RMAA before and after installation of the drivers - I'd do it myself, but I don't have a RealTek equipped motherboard). Sure, the majority of Creative's "features" (such as EAX, CMSS-3D, Crystallizer, etc.) are software based and onboard chipsets (as well as chipsets on competing audio cards) are capable of executing these instructions, as far as full functionality and accuracy is concerned, X-Fi APU equipped cards will be able to execute those instructions many times better than competing hardware . . . the majority of the software effects, and how many can be rendered at a single instance, are dependant upon the number of hardware and software voices an audio processor is capable of - in effect, it's abilit to multi-task.

The only thing that the drivers actually do, is tell the audio hardware how it's supposed to be processing the audio - you can easily fool people into thinking the audio quality is much better than it is by applying slight reverb and echos tweaks, amplifying certain frequency ranges, and normalizing channel volumes (for example, what the Crystallizer feature does, see this page for more info: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi-part2.html). The real audio quality, though, is fully dependant on the capabilities of the hardware that's involved with the output stream processing . . . specifically the primary DSP, the DAC and output OPAMPs.

I'm very leary of any claims that state to increase real audio quality by applying a simple driver or software package - the stream itself might be cleaned up a little by processing it differently, but the actual audio quality dependant on the hardware will not change.

Anyhow, it's nice to see Creative starting to open up their software functionality to other hardware manufacturers, especially EAX. I'm hoping this trend will continue.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
As of March 11, Creative have released a new driver pack for the X-Fi Titanium series for both XP and Vista x32/x64 OSes, version number 2.17.0006: http://support.creative.com/downloads/?h=7

Release Notes:
This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows Vista® and Windows® XP support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

•Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty® Champion Series
•Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
•Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Professional Audio
•Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Added Features or Enhancements:

•Enables the 'What U Hear' recording device for Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium in Windows Vista.

Resolves the following issues:

•Unable to launch Audio Control Panel after installing drivers on a system using Windows XP Service Pack 3.
•X-Fi Crystalizer resets to the default value after restarting system.
•X-Fi Crystalizer resets to the default value in all modes instead of the current selected mode only after pressing the default button.
•No sound output occasionally while Dolby® Digital Live is enabled.
•BSOD when disabling audio drivers on certain systems.
•Game Mode LED on X-Fi I/O Drive does not light up when Game Mode was the current selected mode after system has awakened from hibernation.

Requirements:

•Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista 32-bit with SP1, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005 or Windows XP MCE 2004
•Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium series audio devices listed above

Also released March 11, a new version of the Creative Console Launcher version 2.61.09 for XP and Vista x86/x64 OSes:

Release Notes:
This download contains the Creative Console Launcher application for use with your Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices on Microsoft® Windows Vista® and Windows® XP. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following devices only:

•Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty® Champion Series
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Professional Audio
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
•Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
•Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
•Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
•Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Karaoke
•Sound Blaster X-Fi

Added Features or Enhancements:

•Added Microphone Reverb effect.
•Added controls for Silencer settings (for certain audio devices only).
•Improved controls for Wireless Music settings (for certain audio devices only).

Resolves the following issues:

•Display for X-Fi CMSS-3D settings is not synchronized.
•Display for mixer settings is not synchronized.
•Custom EQ option does not appear when adjusting EQ values.
•Text is truncated in certain menus.
•Error message does not appear when hot-plugging a 'Plug and Play' device.
•Error in VoiceFX presets selection.
•Unable to restore default volume settings.
•Unable to select the external decoder option automatically while Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect is enabled in the encoder settings.
•Noise can be heard when enabling 'Use Built-in Decoder' and 'Dolby Digital Live' or 'DTS Connect'.

Requirements:

•Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005.
•Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above