• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 4890 CrossFire

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
I found this interesting http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http://pclab.pl/art36063-17.html
It appears the high power usage at idle can mostly be blamed on the GDDR5 and not ATIs core. So, unless this changes, nVidia also will suffer high idle power usage with their next arch

GDDR5 was supposed to consume less at the same clocks and currently GDDR3 speeds are higher than GDDR5 speeds, GDDR5 being in the 800-1000 realm (not OC) and GDDR3 being in the 900-1100 area (again not OC). At least that's how it was marketed and I think that was true.

r1rhyder

System Name R1
Processor Core Xeon W3580
Motherboard asus p6t deluxe v2
Cooling true black
Memory ocz ddr3 2000 7 7 7 20 1T
Video Card(s) 2 HD5970 725/1000
Storage ocz 3x120Gb Vertex ssd raid0
Display(s) dell 30"
Case Lian Li Tyr x500b
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply silverstone 1000w
Software win 7 x64 build 7229
someone needs a 30" monitor. :cool:

Josh81

System Name Josh's Comp
Processor q9550 @ 4.0, 1.232v
Motherboard UD3R
Cooling Xigmatek w/ bolt-thru kit
Memory DDR2 800 G. Skill 4 GB
Video Card(s) XFX 4890 @ 925/1050
Storage Western Digital Caviar 1 TB
Display(s) 23.6" Asus 1080p
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 600 W
Software vista 64 bit
I like the performance per dollar chart, a lot.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Yeah, you chose between a 3870 and an 8800GT, hardly considered high-end performance, even when they released. They have always been mid-range cards. I can fully understand power consumption being a major concern at that level, as we are already talking about a more modest computer build.

I didn't say that was the only reason, but if I didn't had the oportunity to get the 8800GT that cheap, I don't know what I would have done in the end. But that is a completely different thing, we are talking about a 15w difference in a card that is 20% faster (actually 30% on their max OC), which is far from 95w and a 9% difference in the case of GTX295 vs 4890 CF (two fastest things in Wizzard's charts, they cost the same BTW). OC ability doen0t matter as the GTX295 OC wonderfully. Watercooling or aftermarket cooling? If you are going to spend more, you might as well want to spend a little more and get GTX285 SLI.

However, modesty goes completely out the window when you are building a rig with the graphical power that was shown in this review. When building a machine of this caliber, most only take performance, entry cost, and expandability into account. Power consumption is very low on the list of concerns. Usually only thought about enough to figure out the best psu for the system, not how much it will cost to run per month. This is the point I think you are failing to realize here. Most people building these kind of machines (at least the ones that I know) do not worry about power consumption. That's not the point of the machine.

I, for example, have a lower powered rig for casual usage. The rig in my specs is just a toy, and not always used, unless I have some encoding, benching or gaming I want to do. I usually surf on my Core2 laptop, or my Core2 iMac, both with all the power saving features enabled.

Buying a second rig won't save any money, you pay for the extra hardware.

Your point isn't good anyway. If money doesn't matter, that people wouldn't be considering the HD4890, they would simply go for the Quad CF with X2, the Quad GTX295 or Tri SLI with GTX285.

I don't care too much about what people do, because I'm just trying to help those inconscious (in the sense that they never thought about this) people, trying to teach them something indeed. They should learn to manage their money and think about these things. You say it only matters the money at hand (entry cost) at the time of the purchase, well with a less consuming setup you'll get that money much earlier. It's hypocritical to say you can wait until you have $500 but you can't wait until you have $600, when at the same time you are spending much less in that timeframe. Look at the extreme example I put above, in Denmark (Italy, Netherlands) after 1 year of use the HD4890 CF can cost 132 euros more than the HD4870 X2, 161 € more than the GTX295 and 107 € more than GTX285 SLI. (Tri SLI'ing the GTX285 will consume a bit less than HD3890 CF in idle!!)(Notice how the numbers for the single GTX285 are the same as in Wizzard's review) For average Europe results, slash those numbers in half, they are still significative enough to the point of making GTX275/GTX285 SLI more appealing.

Again, using a different PC for web browsing, videos and all that won't save any money because the PC itself costs money. You only really save money if you buy something instead of another thing, not if you buy something on top of the other thing. I doubt any enthusiast will have a PC older than 2-3 years anyway, even if it is for watching videos.

The bottom line is that you can't talk about money arbitrarily. Either you care or either you don't. And with the current situation in the GPU arena, if you don't care you'd go GTX285 SLI (the least) because it's simply faster and if you do care, you should go for a setup that won't cost you more over the time, at least if you are conscious of how much it will cost you. Now that I have demostrated how much it can cost I hope that people in the EU take that into consideration, as it would be the smarter choice and also people in California or New York where the energy is expensive, for example.

Examples:

- Right now, if you want to break records you won't get HD4890 CF, you'll get GTX285 Tri or Quad CF/SLI or GTX285 SLI at least.

- If you just want one of the fastest things you can buy HD4890 CF or just buy the 9% slower GTX295 for the same price and one year later instead of buying another $500 card(s), buy a $600 card because you could save $100 more in bills or instead of waiting one year buy in just 9 months, because you already saved the $500 in that time.

That's what a smart money conscious person would do. Again, if you have money to burn this doesn't apply to you, do with it whatever you want and know that I would do the same and that I'm jealous.

EDIT: OH! And BTW, it just takes Ati fixing the problem with power management not working in Crossfire to make all my points null (practical not theorical, the examples, the cards) and me happy because something done well. Even if Ati fans (a lot here) are unable to see it, I have not a problem with Ati at all, neither I have a problem with the HD4890, except for the fact that GTX275 is a bit better. The only problem here is 308w at idle, fix that, end of problem. :)

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I didn't say that was the only reason, but if I didn't had the oportunity to get the 8800GT that cheap, I don't know what I would have done in the end. But that is a completely different thing, we are talking about a 15w difference in a card that is 20% faster (actually 30% on their max OC), which is far from 95w and a 9% difference in the case of GTX295 vs 4890 CF (two fastest things in Wizzard's charts, they cost the same BTW). OC ability doen0t matter as the GTX295 OC wonderfully. Watercooling or aftermarket cooling? If you are going to spend more, you might as well want to spend a little more and get GTX285 SLI.

Buying a second rig won't save any money, you pay for the extra hardware.

Your point isn't good anyway. If money doesn't matter, that people wouldn't be considering the HD4890, they would simply go for the Quad CF with X2, the Quad GTX295 or Tri SLI with GTX285.

I don't care too much about what people do, because I'm just trying to help those inconscious (in the sense that they never thought about this) people, trying to teach them something indeed. They should learn to manage their money and think about these things. You say it only matters the money at hand (entry cost) at the time of the purchase, well with a less consuming setup you'll get that money much earlier. It's hypocritical to say you can wait until you have $500 but you can't wait until you have $600, when at the same time you are spending much less in that timeframe. Look at the extreme example I put above, in Denmark (Italy, Netherlands) after 1 year of use the HD4890 CF can cost 132 euros more than the HD4870 X2, 161 € more than the GTX295 and 107 € more than GTX285 SLI. (Tri SLI'ing the GTX285 will consume a bit less than HD3890 CF in idle!!)(Notice how the numbers for the single GTX285 are the same as in Wizzard's review) For average Europe results, slash those numbers in half, they are still significative enough to the point of making GTX275/GTX285 SLI more appealing.

Again, using a different PC for web browsing, videos and all that won't save any money because the PC itself costs money. You only really save money if you buy something instead of another thing, not if you buy something on top of the other thing. I doubt any enthusiast will have a PC older than 2-3 years anyway, even if it is for watching videos.

The bottom line is that you can't talk about money arbitrarily. Either you care or either you don't. And with the current situation in the GPU arena, if you don't care you'd go GTX285 SLI (the least) because it's simply faster and if you do care, you should go for a setup that won't cost you more over the time, at least if you are conscious of how much it will cost you. Now that I have demostrated how much it can cost I hope that people in the EU take that into consideration, as it would be the smarter choice and also people in California or New York where the energy is expensive, for example.

Examples:

- Right now, if you want to break records you won't get HD4890 CF, you'll get GTX285 Tri or Quad CF/SLI or GTX285 SLI at least.

- If you just want one of the fastest things you can buy HD4890 CF or just buy the 9% slower GTX295 for the same price and one year later instead of buying another $500 card(s), buy a $600 card because you could save $100 more in bills or instead of waiting one year buy in just 9 months, because you already saved the $500 in that time.

That's what a smart money conscious person would do. Again, if you have money to burn this doesn't apply to you, do with it whatever you want and know that I would do the same and that I'm jealous.

EDIT: OH! And BTW, it just takes Ati fixing the problem with power management not working in Crossfire to make all my points null (practical not theorical, the examples, the cards) and me happy because something done well. Even if Ati fans (a lot here) are unable to see it, I have not a problem with Ati at all, neither I have a problem with the HD4890, except for the fact that GTX275 is a bit better. The only problem here is 308w at idle, fix that, end of problem. :)
I understand the point you are making, and have been understanding it. I'm just telling you that the people I know that are looking to spend this kind of money on a graphics card setup do not care that much about power consumption, so it doesn't really play into their decision. It's on the bottom of the list in importance.

And I'm not just defending ATI, nor am I an ATI fanboy. If my board did SLI, I'd have 2 280's or 285's. I'm just pointing out that your observations on power consumptions are most likely going to fall on deaf ears at this price and performance level.

hybrid1989

Hey guys, just joined the forum as I'm planning on making a build log for my new i7 build next month.

Just want to say, I've read through this whole forum and spending 20 dollars per year on 600 dollars worth of graphics cards is a cost easily incurred...

Spending 3.5% of the price of your cards per year is totally insignificant. If 20 dollars is such a major concern I would highly recommend a) leaving this page, or b) closing your account, because this is a performance PC enthusiast website.

That's like saying you shouldn't buy a Ferrari because it doesn't get the same mileage as a Kia rondo

4890....looks excellent but I'll probably wait for the RV870. I know I'd regret buying it when the 870 comes out with 1600 SPU's

Last edited:

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Hey guys, just joined the forum as I'm planning on making a build log for my new i7 build next month.

Just want to say, I've read through this whole forum and spending 20 dollars per year on 600 dollars worth of graphics cards is a cost easily incurred...

Spending 3.5% of the price of your cards per year is totally insignificant. If 20 dollars is such a major concern I would highly recommend a) leaving this page, or b) closing your account, because this is a performance PC enthusiast website.

That's like saying you shouldn't buy a Ferrari because it doesn't get the same mileage as a Kia rondo

4890....looks excellent but I'll probably wait for the RV870. I know I'd regret buying it when the 870 comes out with 1600 SPU's

You clearly didn't read te thread. It's not 20$, unless you only use your cmputer 2 hours a day, in which case I find it hard to believe you are an exthusiast. We're talking about anything from 50$ (in very few places) to $200 per year.

Also which card is the Kia? The GTX295, the HD4870 X2 or GTX285/275 SLI? Man I didn't knew the small Kia cars were almost as fast as Ferraris or even faster. I'll consider Kia for my next car...:eek:

hybrid1989

do the math how much 20W more power consumption in idle will cost you.

20W * number of hours pc on per day * 30 / 1000 * price per kwh you pay to your power provider = price you pay for 20W extra for a month

for me: 20W * 16 * 30 / 1000 * € 0.1433 = € 1.38

This is what I was referring to.

Also i really wish Kia's were that fast....although with some modding, who knows :roll:

Culex

System Name GOD
Processor Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard P5E-Deluxe
Cooling 3x120mm, 1x200mm
Memory 2x2GB corsair XMS2 DHX 800MHz 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) HD 4870X2
Storage 2x500GB 32mb cache Seagates, RAID0
Display(s) Asus MK241H 24", 2ms, 3000:1
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX II Extreme HD
Power Supply Coolermaster 850W modular, upto 1000W
Software Windows Ultimate X64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 1920x1200, 18059
God dammit these benchmarks are full of it. They have no consistency to any other benchmarks I've seen on paper or gameplay I've experienced. Just look at the left4dead benchmark. Broken is an understatement. Yeah, a gts250 would really beat a 4890 and 285. I've played left4dead on maximum settings on my 4870x2 (16xAA & 16xAF @ 1920x1200), and it runs constantly well over 160fps, and rightfully so (since the source engine does favor ATI cards:p). On my previous card, a 512Mb 4870, Call of Duty 4 ran @ an average of 95 to 125 fps (mostly maxing out @ 125fps), in multiplayer, even higher in single player (4xAA, 16AF 1920x1200). Sorry W1zzard, but either your hardware is completely screwed beyond anything I've seen before, or you're biased to the extreme.

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Power comsuption doesn't cost me, it's included in my rent. I even run two air conditioners in the summertime, again, included in the rent.

Wattage is the bomb when it's included in your rent...I recommend renting!!! :rockout:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
TBH I don't understand why you have the "discuss this articles in our forums" link, if discussion about such a critic thing as power consumption is so bad considered as to say it is spamm that should be in the nonsense thread. In fact, this is not the first time a mod suggests any discussion should be out of this kind of threads. I'd suggest you save time (both to you and us) and put a big "Thank Wizzard" button instead.

darkmatter said:
Wohooo here comes the poor hurt fanboi. You feel bad? Poor boy...

That my good man is trolling and has nothing to do with the discussion.. next time I'll just hand out infractions...

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
You clearly didn't read te thread. It's not 20$, unless you only use your cmputer 2 hours a day, in which case I find it hard to believe you are an exthusiast. We're talking about anything from 50$ (in very few places) to $200 per year.

Also which card is the Kia? The GTX295, the HD4870 X2 or GTX285/275 SLI? Man I didn't knew the small Kia cars were almost as fast as Ferraris or even faster. I'll consider Kia for my next car...:eek:

Do you use all florescent bulbs at home?

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
God dammit these benchmarks are full of it. They have no consistency to any other benchmarks I've seen on paper or gameplay I've experienced. Just look at the left4dead benchmark. Broken is an understatement. Yeah, a gts250 would really beat a 4890 and 285. I've played left4dead on maximum settings on my 4870x2 (16xAA & 16xAF @ 1920x1200), and it runs constantly well over 160fps, and rightfully so (since the source engine does favor ATI cards:p). On my previous card, a 512Mb 4870, Call of Duty 4 ran @ an average of 95 to 125 fps (mostly maxing out @ 125fps), in multiplayer, even higher in single player (4xAA, 16AF 1920x1200). Sorry W1zzard, but either your hardware is completely screwed beyond anything I've seen before, or you're biased to the extreme.

we're using our own timedemos, if you are interested i can mail them to you or you can get them via the tpubench plugins. l4d clearly has a bug where every gpu it doesn't "know" get a performance boost

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Power comsuption doesn't cost me, it's included in my rent. I even run two air conditioners in the summertime, again, included in the rent.

Wattage is the bomb when it's included in your rent...I recommend renting!!! :rockout:
Now that is what my apartment living butt is all about. Suck it up :)
Although I am buying a house soon

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Do you use all florescent bulbs at home?

Nice try to make a joke. Big FAIL! The short answer would be: yes! The long one is: fluorescent, energy saving ones, LED ones, adjustable switches... I would suggest you think before you even try to make fun of someone next time. Try harder, seriously, you can.

That my good man is trolling and has nothing to do with the discussion.. next time I'll just hand out infractions...

Trolling? Ha! Maybe if mods respond in the way they should instead of attacking members, people could start respecting the rules better. If talking about power consumption is trolling and off topic, please don't include power consumption tests. Sorry Wizzard, but you should control your dogs tighter. Now you can ban me forever, I don't care anymore about a site with such moderators. Good bye to all the good people in TPU, I enjoyed talking with all of you.

hybrid1989

Buddy of mine just got a 4890 this morning. Sick card, but it is LOUD. Somewhere around 50 dbA at load :twitch: Not a big deal if you plan to liquid cool but thats a noise most people will find aggravating for sure. Any ideas on when the 58xx cards will be out?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Buddy of mine just got a 4890 this morning. Sick card, but it is LOUD. Somewhere around 50 dbA at load :twitch: Not a big deal if you plan to liquid cool but thats a noise most people will find aggravating for sure. Any ideas on when the 58xx cards will be out?

soon(tm)

neon neophyte

System Name Custom
Processor E6750@3.7
Motherboard asus p5q deluxe
Cooling Antec True Extreme
Memory 8gb OCZ DDR2 8000
Video Card(s) EVGA geforce 8800 GTS 640 meg
Storage 2x1TB WD Black. 1x1TB Samsung Spinpoint. 2x750GB Seagate Barracuda 10s. 1x150GB WD Raptor.
Display(s) 37" 1080p Sharp Aquos. 21.6" LG 1680x1050.
Case Antec Sonata III piano black
Audio Device(s) onboard. SoundMax Blackhawk... or something.
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 500w
Software Windows 7
im planning on getting 2 4890s when sapphire releases the vapour x cooler on the 4890. hopefully with some voltage tweaks, so i can tune over 1000mhz.

Culex

System Name GOD
Motherboard P5E-Deluxe
Cooling 3x120mm, 1x200mm
Video Card(s) HD 4870X2
Case Antec 900
we're using our own timedemos, if you are interested i can mail them to you or you can get them via the tpubench plugins. l4d clearly has a bug where every gpu it doesn't "know" get a performance boost

Righto, but in relation to competing current gen gpus (ie 4870x2 and GTX295), if one is recognized they both should be. That's why I think there's something seriously wrong with your left4dead benchmark and Cod4 test. The X2 in reality out performs the 295 in that game, as it does in CoD4. The biggest shock however is the 4870 getting only 75 fps in CoD4. But anyway, you probably shouldn't use those timedemos or benchmark apps, since they are obviously flawed. I'd recommend running the actual games performing specific tasks (ie in CoD4 running through smoke, avg running through a heavily populated map etc and recording the results). HardOCD does this, which is why it appears to give far more believable results. Anyway, no hard feelings. Just use a different method in future, and you'll find you get far more legitimate readings. For the time being however, I'll check out the site you recommended. Good luck with your future tests.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
im planning on getting 2 4890s when sapphire releases the vapour x cooler on the 4890. hopefully with some voltage tweaks, so i can tune over 1000mhz.

ya the one that is on the 4870 Entices me to pick one up but i think the 4890 maybe my choice when the 2GB edition hits shelves.

Culex

System Name GOD
Motherboard P5E-Deluxe
Cooling 3x120mm, 1x200mm
Video Card(s) HD 4870X2
Case Antec 900
2GB of RAM on a single 256 bit bus? That's stretching it a bit methinks:p Also, it probably wouldn't be used.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
its funny people said that about the 1950 512s ram not being utilized now it is. Goin from a 9700 Pro to a X1950 Pro, the ram Quadrupled. Now im Goin from a 512MB to a 2GB Card, ram quadrupled again.