• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to wipe a hard drive

floridajerseyguy

I need a program or instructions on zero out a hard drive becuase my computer will not run any programs.

The only thing that wors properly are the startup menus such as the f12 boot menu and f2 system setup (So far those are the only startup menus I have been on).

If I start Windows regularly it will load with huge lag and also many error message popups. Tried to run AV programs but it only got worse. I need to know how to wipe my hard drive clean. I have a dell dimensions 8400.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Insert your Window disk and set your bios to boot from the CD Drive. Once it starts up you will come up with an option to format your drive.

floridajerseyguy

Insert your Window disk and set your bios to boot from the CD Drive. Once it starts up you will come up with an option to format your drive.

Sounds good, but I can't load any cds upon boot or even in windows.

I tried to run Win XP pro cd my friend made for me. It wouldn't work becuase The software is so corrupted. The hard drive itself is fine I just need a way to completely wipe the hard drive of everything.

I don't want to just reinstall over the corrupt mess of windows. I want to start over not reinstall brand new OS and have corrupted programs, settings, or info

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Take the drive out and do it with another PC through windows disc management.

floridajerseyguy

I did use the cd my friend gave to me. It is a copy of win XP pro on cd that worked fine for everyone else(I know it is not the cd).The cd started a program and it looked like what I expected - a good copy of windows (doing what it is supposed to), but the result is a screen with options like press enter for complete erase, press r for recovery assistance, or esc for exit and reboot.

Then I press enter to completely erase, that leads to another screen where it says that there was some kind of software failure and offers only one choice which is rebooting. I loaded the cd from boot menu again and pressed the r button instead of the enter key and the same exact screen came up to it limited my choice only to reboot.

Sadly that did not work out for me and I need this done soon...

Thanks for all the help guys

floridajerseyguy

I like sneekypeet's idea. I will try that peet. Can you give me any ideas on how to do that. After I remove the hard drive then I plug to new computer. Then how do I manage this hard drive? Thanks for the post.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64
I like sneekypeet's idea. I will try that peet. Can you give me any ideas on how to do that. After I remove the hard drive then I plug to new computer. Then how do I manage this hard drive? Thanks for the post.

First you have to get to Control Panel then select Administrative Tools. Select Computer Management. In the left hand side of the window, select Disk Management, it will be under the Storage tab.
After that, look for your drive on the right side. If you found it great! Right click the drive, either the top or bottom portion of the screen, select Format. Keep the settings it has unless you want to change the label of the drive.
Then just select OK and it should be done in no more than a half hour.

:toast:

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
The drives manufacturer should have a diagnostics/utilities disk to help you out. It usually contains a zero-fill program inside.

floridajerseyguy

Thanks guys

My Special thanks goes out to all those involved with posting a reply on this thread.

I have been helped tremendously by a few who suggested I take out the hard drive and clean it up on another system.

That is something I had not tried yet. I have another system readily available and it makes a lot of sense.

I do have a few questions though: After I take out the hard drive and connect it to a new system,

Will I be able to run something more advanced than the built in OS drive manager to more completely wipe the drive (i.e. kill disk)?

What I am asking is: Can I run "kill disk" on the old hard drive from the other computer instead of the Windows program that does the same thing?

I am going to try to disconnect the hard drive today, but I don't know if running the kill disk program from the other computer would be the most efficient and complete way to clean the drive.

Is that something that I would even want to do, Peet? Would that work? What do you think, cheese?

Does kill disk cost money? Do I get the free download off that site you gave me, 2wicked?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If you cannot even boot from a CD then I would think your motherboard BIOS has a problem.
I would reset the BIOS on the MB so it only has the default settings and try again.
When you boot your system from a CD, the HD should not even be in the picture.
If when you attempt to access the HD it gives you errors, I would suspect something wrong with the drive.
You should not be having this much problem trying to do a simple reformat.

floridajerseyguy

Hey guys

Ok so I got kill drive going in safe mode. The problem was that was trying to run the cd before windows booted up.

I just booted safe mode and after a couple of boot trys I got safe mode running.

Then I went to my computer and accessed the iso cd with kill drive on it and ran it.

Now I have the cd my friend gave me with win xp pro. So I should be fine.

Thanks to kreij and modder for the additions.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If things do not go well for you post more information.
The people on TPU are all about helping people with problems (or at least trying). :toast:

floridajerseyguy

I really appreciate the help. I ran Kill Disk and it worked fine. Is there a reason to run dban too?

Now I get a prompt for A: drive

I have the windos xp cd and now I am just not sure how to initiate the cd to install windows.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
go into bios and tell the boot devics to boot CD/DVD first then HDD second, you can disable the rest for the time being. ( you can leave "other boot devices" on enabled)

Seems to me its booting to floppy first as any bios will do in stock settings.

I really appreciate the help. I ran Kill Disk and it worked fine. Is there a reason to run dban too?

Now I get a prompt for A: drive

I have the windos xp cd and now I am just not sure how to initiate the cd to install windows.

If you got the desired result and everything is working fine, then I wouldn't worry with running anything else. :) DBAN would be a good choice to run if you ever sell the drive and want to make sure it's completely unrecoverable.

floridajerseyguy

Almost out of the woods

go into bios and tell the boot devics to boot CD/DVD first then HDD second, you can disable the rest for the time being. ( you can leave "other boot devices" on enabled)

The Kill Disk worked just like it advertised.

Ok so I went into bios and enabled the cd/dvd and then I exited setup and did the

ctrl+alt+delete to reboot. Then I turned it off and I came back after a couple minutes.

Computer boots directly into cd setup when I turn it on. Windows setup tries to run and actually runs for about

three or four minutes, but it goes to a blue screen just like before. The blue screen with option

to install windows and recover windows is just leading me to a screen that reboots and

quits setup no matter what option I chose. None of the options offered by the screen go anywhere.

It did the same thing it has always done when I try to boot to that cd, but the Kill Disk worked.

It is probably the format of the cd. I am going take care of that ASAP

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
fgguy here is right, killdisk does a pretty good job of zeroizing a HD, even in its free version, Id recommend it for clean starts.

floridajerseyguy

ARghhh! I am still getting the damn blue screen saying that the hard drive is not able to be read.

What do I do?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11

Get into bios by resetting the PC and tap delete repeatedly till you get to bios. Then look at the top left menues. One of the first two or 3 selections will show you the boot priority window you seek. I will say this much, it wont matter if the XP disc is already being seen and attempting to boot.

The issues really seems more serious to me. 3 things I would check at this point.

I assume the PC is clean, it is summer now and fur coats are out anyways.

Is the ram stable? Get a copy of Memtest86+ iso and make a bootable for it. Runs automatically on boot.

The last thing is the PSU. If you have access to a Digital multimeter, you can probe the 24 pin wires or molex connection to see what the actual 12V, 3.3V, and 5V rails are pushing.