• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Statement by Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini on EC Ruling

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Paul Otellini, Intel Corporation president and CEO today issued the following statement regarding the European Commission decision on Intel's business practices:

"Intel takes strong exception to this decision. We believe the decision is wrong and ignores the reality of a highly competitive microprocessor marketplace - characterized by constant innovation, improved product performance and lower prices. There has been absolutely zero harm to consumers. Intel will appeal."

"We do not believe our practices violated European law. The natural result of a competitive market with only two major suppliers is that when one company wins sales, the other does not. The Directorate General for Competition of the Commission ignored or refused to obtain significant evidence that contradicts the assertions in this decision. We believe this evidence shows that when companies perform well the market rewards them, when they don't perform the market acts accordingly."

"Intel never sells products below cost. We have however, consistently invested in innovation, in manufacturing and in developing leadership technology. The result is that we can discount our products to compete in a highly competitive marketplace, passing along to consumers everywhere the efficiencies of being the world's leading volume manufacturer of microprocessors."

"Despite our strongly held views, as we go through the appeals process we plan to work with the Commission to ensure we're in compliance with their decision. Finally, there should be no doubt whatsoever that Intel will continue to invest in the products and technologies that provide Europe and the rest of the world the industry's best performing processors at lower prices."

Intel's Position on the AMD Antitrust Case
Since the 1990s Intel's principal competitor has been on a concerted campaign to get regulators and courts around the world to prevent Intel from competing aggressively in the market. The aggressive marketing campaign by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has included numerous complaints to regulators in multiple jurisdictions which all stem from the same set of allegations and source. It has included a private lawsuit in the U.S. and two in Japan. By all accounts the U.S. lawsuit could become one of largest antitrust cases in the history of U.S. Courts.

AMD's objectives are clear; it is seeking price protection and wants to become more successful by deterring Intel from aggressive competition. Stripped of hyperbole AMD's complaints around the world accuse Intel of competing too aggressively by offering customers attractive prices and marketing, and technical support to win their business.

The microprocessor market is fiercely competitive. That competition has resulted in tremendous benefits to consumers worldwide by providing continuous improvement in technology innovation, performance and capability at consistently lower prices. Intel believes in competition and has never shied away from it. As you will see from information contained on this site Intel believes it operates well within the law.

More information about Intel and "Competition in the Innovation Economy" is available here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I call BS on this ruling.

AMD's complaints around the world accuse Intel of competing too aggressively by offering customers attractive prices and marketing, and technical support to win their business.

Um yeah. Thats what you do to ummm.....make money? :roll:

Sure.

But you don't seem to realise that intel was paying tertiary firms to NOT stock products with AMD CPUs installed.

I see no other valid reason why AMD's products would be ommited by many OEM's production lines or retailers, as they are better on the value for money side of things, especially during the Pentium 4 Netburst era. The architecture was CLEARLY flawed, bringing shitty performance with high levels of heat and power usage.

However at this point in time it seemed odd that AMD's offerings became a rarity-intel got desperate. Despite AMD's clear technological dominance, they did NOT dominate the market because of -ahem- factors.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Just once i would love to see a CEO stand up and say:

"You know what, we were wrong. Sorry guys it wont happen again"

I call BS on this ruling.

Apparently the case was also backed by US federal investigations - i wouldn't be surprised if the US jumped on the band wagon and did the same.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

If that statement costs a billion Euros, that would be a day.

DareD

Soon US will do the same as the EU.
"Despite its strong defence, Intel is facing a wall of regulatory resistance to its business practices around the world, with antitrust infringement decisions against it now in Japan, Korea, and the EU, while the US authorities are investigating Intel as well," - said David Anderson.

Intel would now have to change its latest advertising slogan from "sponsors of tomorrow" to "the sponsor of the European taxpayer". - Ms Kroes
That's how money are going where they belong to... :D

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I dont call the ruling BS, but a little excessive with the 1.05 billion euros. Intel did this in the height of AMDs heyday with the Athlon 64. As was pointed out by Tkpenalty, they offered discounts to those to not stock AMD chips. Dell was forever without AMD chips I believe in a large part to that. Though they did sell a few AMD computers on HSN and stuff, it wasnt near the volume that they had with intel. Its good for Intel to get its bubble burst every once in a while.

One thing I will not agree on is AMD saying Intel is being shady with offering of technical support. I dont care who you are a company should offer all the support (Technical or Customer) that they can for their product(s)

snakeoil

today is a fine day for intel

today is a fine day for intel

Attachments

• sopranos.jpg
    sopranos.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,389
Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

why was it wrong what intel did? they used their power to do the best for their company, knowing that there would most probably be an investigation and a ruling. yet they did it, and you can bet, they did it because they ran the numbers and realized that even with a big fine it would be worth it.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
what if after the appeal EU fines them with more :laugh:

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Ms Kroes joked in her own news conference that Intel would now have to change its latest advertising slogan from "sponsors of tomorrow" to "the sponsor of the European taxpayer".

Kroes should be FIRED for that statement. It clearly represents a conflict of interest; an opportunity to stuff gready pockets with a ruling that should be economically determined to redress the LOSS TO AMD, and not a win to EU taxpayers.

IF there are ANY payments other than to AMD, there should be a REBATE to all purchasers of Intel systems for being ripped off.

There is NO DEFENSIBLE story as to why EU taxpayers (read: quasi-gvt organisations and their insane bugets of over salaries and over expenses for bureaucrats) should be on "the take" for this.

I repeat, Kroes should be fired for that statement, irrespective of the ruling. It is just plain incompetent to do that. Intel should countersue and have Kroes struck-off the appeal process.

D

Deleted member 24505

I think amd are just QQ coz intel are doing better.Dont they realize its dog eat dog and no prisoners in buisness.Maybe if they make cpu's people actually want to buy then they might sell more.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I dont call the ruling BS, but a little excessive with the 1.05 billion euros. Intel did this in the height of AMDs heyday with the Athlon 64. As was pointed out by Tkpenalty, they offered discounts to those to not stock AMD chips. Dell was forever without AMD chips I believe in a large part to that. Though they did sell a few AMD computers on HSN and stuff, it wasnt near the volume that they had with intel. Its good for Intel to get its bubble burst every once in a while.

One thing I will not agree on is AMD saying Intel is being shady with offering of technical support. I dont care who you are a company should offer all the support (Technical or Customer) that they can for their product(s)
Dell didn't offer AMD chips for two decades (1985-2006). Dell only started to offer AMD processors in Dimension machines after they aquired Alienware which was already offering AMD chips. As I said in the other thread, offering two different kinds of processors means two different platforms and that adds a lot of extra cost in purchasing, manufacturing, and support. The reason why they did it was because this was just after Core 2 Duo launch and AMD processors were dirt cheap offseting to the subsequent costs.

There's no indiciation, anywhere, that Intel was bribing (or whatever legal term you want to stick in there) Dell to only sell Intel processors. The incentive is cost cutting like we see with auto dealers usually sticking to only one brand of cars (only have to stock one set of parts for replacement).

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
last time i checked AMD owned Intel with their Athlon 64 chips, but why did AMD only get upto 20% of the market when they had alot better CPUs in 2003?

99% of the time you go into a retailer you only see intel based PCs just a frew years ago

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Memory 4x4 gig Gskil aries ddr3 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte r280x windforce
Storage intel 520 120 gig ssd
Display(s) 24 inch Asus IPS
Case Cool Master
Audio Device(s) realtek onboard
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
I wish Intel would fold up and go away for a couple of years and see how AMD starts charging $2000 for processors and video cards you got to buy. Without aggressive competition we all lose. I didnt see where Intel held a gun to noones head to get them to buy their product. Newegg should be next on the list and while were at it XFX-EVGA and Sapphire should be sued. AMD are a bunch of crybabies, I want my mommie I cant compete. ALLEN

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
I wish Intel would fold up and go away for a couple of years and see how AMD starts charging $2000 for processors and video cards you got to buy. Without aggressive competition we all lose. I didnt see where Intel held a gun to noones head to get them to buy their product. Newegg should be next on the list and while were at it XFX-EVGA and Sapphire should be sued. AMD are a bunch of crybabies, I want my mommie I cant compete. ALLEN
well its not THAT, but it is that intel paid OEMs to exclude AMD chips
its like saying that Coca-Cola pays a store not to sell Pepsi

AMD IGPs are superior to any intel IGP
Phenom II is just as fast as Core 2 Quad 9000
Phenom I was just as fast as Core 2 Quad Q6000

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.

I don't think you understand the situation at all, or have ever read the allegations in any of the numerous articles and news stories.

Personally, I'm still just shocked that there are people who worship the "free market" and yet somehow justify underhanded kickbacks and secret "rebates" in order to stifle competition.

Perhaps these are the same people who think the Mafia are capitalists... :laugh:

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Memory 4x4 gig Gskil aries ddr3 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte r280x windforce
Storage intel 520 120 gig ssd
Display(s) 24 inch Asus IPS
Case Cool Master
Audio Device(s) realtek onboard
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
well its not THAT, but it is that intel paid OEMs to exclude AMD chips
its like saying that Coca-Cola pays a store not to sell Pepsi

AMD IGPs are superior to any intel IGP
Phenom II is just as fast as Core 2 Quad 9000
Phenom I was just as fast as Core 2 Quad Q6000

You think that Pepsi is only at Pizza hut and Lees fried chicken because coca cola cant compete with free we need to sue pepsi also

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
pesi will sue coca and viceversa for using "cola":laugh:

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Motherboard P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 3GB G.Sill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) 8800GT @ 700/975
Storage (1)80GB With XP, (1) 320GB storage
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Case XClio Windtunnel (I love it)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply OCZ gamerXStream 700W
Are you guys all KIDDING ME!?

Intel has been "aggressively competitive" well boo fucking hoo for AMD. I'm sick of these companies that lose, then point blame at any place other than back at themselves.

Just like it pissed me off when these car companies required a bale-out for bad business. They didn't listen to what the consumer wanted, the continued to manufacture junk that nobody would buy, and in the end, even though nobody bought their crap, they were FORCED to buy their crap anyways in a sense with taxes.

So lets put things into the simplest perspective here. Little Johnny and Susie both have lemonade stands. Johnny tells passers by that he'll give 30% more lemonade for the same price as Susie, it tastes better, and he also offers an additional discount if the customer buys lemonade for his whole family from him, and not from Susie. Then Susie cries to mommy that Johnny isn't being fair and Mommy makes Johnny hand over a lot of his money he earned fair and square. Then Mommy goes out and buys a gigolo and some coke with the money she took from Johnny.

Take it how you want it, but the above example is the same thing going on here. AMD is little whiny Susie Creamcheese.

snakeoil

why was it wrong what intel did? they used their power to do the best for their company, knowing that there would most probably be an investigation and a ruling. yet they did it, and you can bet, they did it because they ran the numbers and realized that even with a big fine it would be worth it.

yes the same thing did hitler.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Motherboard P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 3GB G.Sill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) 8800GT @ 700/975
Storage (1)80GB With XP, (1) 320GB storage
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Case XClio Windtunnel (I love it)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply OCZ gamerXStream 700W
yes the same thing did hitler.

same thing did hitler? Jeez man, ever heard of Godwin's law?

We're not talking about the desecration and extermination of an entire group of people here dude so try not to elevate intel's business practice to such horrendous extremes.

Back when 939 dominated P4, did Intel complain? Nope. They stepped up.

It's a shame that the world is turning out the way it is. If you're a large enough business, and you do bad, you can point blame at the competition for doing too well and you'll be compensated.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64