• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Motherboard doesn't post

D

Duxx

So I just got my new motherboard from ASUS. Apparently I still can't get my computer to perform functionally.... I have replaced the Motherboard, tested all 4 sticks of ram individually, tried a different HDD, tried my E2200, replaced g92 with frinds gtx... still can't get anything to POST. Nothing on screen, no power to USB (mouse, keyboard) The only thing I haven't tried is the PSU. The Fans spin, the lights come on, LED's etc all perform... i bought the 620hx because i didn't want to have to worry about it. Could this potentially be the problem? I have no idea what to try. On my old motherboard I reset the CMOS, replaced battery, etc etc.. I need help BAD. TIA

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
So I just got my new motherboard from ASUS. Apparently I still can't get my computer to perform functionally.... I have replaced the Motherboard, tested all 4 sticks of ram individually, tried a different HDD, tried my E2200, replaced g92 with frinds gtx... still can't get anything to POST. Nothing on screen, no power to USB (mouse, keyboard) The only thing I haven't tried is the PSU. The Fans spin, the lights come on, LED's etc all perform... i bought the 620hx because i didn't want to have to worry about it. Could this potentially be the problem? I have no idea what to try. On my old motherboard I reset the CMOS, replaced battery, etc etc.. I need help BAD. TIA

That sucks man, sorry to hear :shadedshu I say give your friend's PSU a try and see if that works. Edit: and if you have 3 other rigs why didn't you try one of those PSUs yet?

D

Duxx

That sucks man, sorry to hear :shadedshu I say give your friend's PSU a try and see if that works. Edit: and if you have 3 other rigs why didn't you try one of those PSUs yet?

2 of them are laptops... 3rd one doesn't have 8 pin for mobo.. its old as shiiiitttt. And its only 200W max..

Sounds like the PS is about all that it *could* be...(or the monitor maybe??? Have you tried a different one?)

No beep codes or anything?

...and yes, I know that it's a "rookie" mistake, but are you sure that you're not shorting something out on the back side of the mobo? Both mobo headers plugged in?

I'm grasping at straws here man, I know how frustrating this can be... :banghead:

Have you stripped it down to the bare essentials and tried a boot sequence? (with no drives or video attached...1 stick of RAM)

Do you have a boot flash on a usb...crap that wont help you out either...I dunno man...running out of my (admittedly limited) ideas!

D

Duxx

Sounds like the PS is about all that it *could* be...(or the monitor maybe??? Have you tried a different one?)

No beep codes or anything?

...and yes, I know that it's a "rookie" mistake, but are you sure that you're not shorting something out on the back side of the mobo? Both mobo headers plugged in?

I'm grasping at straws here man, I know how frustrating this can be... :banghead:

Have you stripped it down to the bare essentials and tried a boot sequence? (with no drives or video attached...1 stick of RAM)

Do you have a boot flash on a usb...crap that wont help you out either...I dunno man...running out of my (admittedly limited) ideas!

Tried a different monitor, both headers in, i may try the 4 pin see if i get any luck. No optical, no sound card, no usb, only cpu, ram, psu, hd, and gfx... Thanks for helping though, do appreciate the ideas.

Tried a different monitor, both headers in, i may try the 4 pin see if i get any luck. No optical, no sound card, no usb, only cpu, ram, psu, hd, and gfx... Thanks for helping though, do appreciate the ideas.

Does the comp *fully* wind up? Like it's running fine, just not out putting to the screen?

Or does it do the restart cycle?

What OS?

D

Duxx

Does the comp *fully* wind up? Like it's running fine, just not out putting to the screen?

Or does it do the restart cycle?

What OS?

Ya, everything spins up and stays that way. No restarts or anything.

XP.

This is the 2nd time, the first time this happened was over christmas break, cured it by leaving it unplugged for 3 weeks while on vaca... but thought it was the motherboard...

Ya, everything spins up and stays that way. No restarts or anything.

XP.

This is the 2nd time, the first time this happened was over christmas break, cured it by leaving it unplugged for 3 weeks while on vaca... but thought it was the motherboard...

Damn...it's gotta be either the PSU or the monitor...do you have a way to hook up one of the laptops to the monitor just to see if it's functional?

D

Duxx

Damn...it's gotta be either the PSU or the monitor...do you have a way to hook up one of the laptops to the monitor just to see if it's functional?

i used another monitor, it gets no signal at all either. I'm hoping bogmali lets me steal his.. he is only a 2 hour drive away :shadedshu:shadedshu

i used another monitor, it gets no signal at all either. I'm hoping bogmali lets me steal his.. he is only a 2 hour drive away :shadedshu:shadedshu

Well it certainly looks like the PS then...but it's strange that when it happened previously that just letting it sit for a couple of days fixed it...even if just momentarily.

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
I have a question, are you 100% sure that board doesn't support 4-pin power also? Most of the older boards do. Also, 200 watts is plenty to get the system to POST.

D

Duxx

I have a question, are you 100% sure that board doesn't support 4-pin power also? Most of the older boards do. Also, 200 watts is plenty to get the system to POST.

It does have a 4 pin, doesnt have a 6 pin for my gfx card. It also doesnt have a 24 pin, if I used a 20 pin and the 4 pin, would it still be sufficient? My mobo doesn't have a speaker and i have no external speaker so I can't hear a beep code if there was one.

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
It does have a 4 pin, doesnt have a 6 pin for my gfx card. It also doesnt have a 24 pin, if I used a 20 pin and the 4 pin, would it still be sufficient? My mobo doesn't have a speaker and i have no external speaker so I can't hear a beep code if there was one.

Ah nah I guess I didn't think of it being too old to have the full 24-pin power connector either. I once used a board that said it supported 20-pin power and it blew the PSU instantly so I would say don't go for that.

Haydar

dont wanna sound to smartazzish, but have you plugged in the power supply of your cpu?
you sound like you havin a similar problem that i haved acouple months ago when i where rebuilding my pc...

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Pull the board out of your case and on its box. Case may be causing a short near the I/O.

D

Duxx

Pull the board out of your case and on its box. Case may be causing a short near the I/O.

I'm going to get a motherboard speaker to hear the beep sequence. If I get no love from that, i'll take it out and test outside the case.

Thanks for changing the thread title, I got carried away :D

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
I don't wanna crush your hope; I have a MSI board with similar problems of which I (almost certainly) know its DOA. I tried like 5 HDDs, SATA and IDE, jusz as many drives, like three GPUs, three monitors, a hell of RAM sticks and three CPUs and two PSUs.

BUT I haven't tried a speaker yet now that it was mentioned here...

D

Duxx

I don't wanna crush your hope; I have a MSI board with similar problems of which I (almost certainly) know its DOA. I tried like 5 HDDs, SATA and IDE, jusz as many drives, like three GPUs, three monitors, a hell of RAM sticks and three CPUs and two PSUs.

BUT I haven't tried a speaker yet now that it was mentioned here...

Well I would really hope that they wouldn't send me a DOA board for my RMA... That would just be f'ed up on their part and put a big X next to ASUS.

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Well I would really hope that they wouldn't send me a DOA board for my RMA... That would just be f'ed up on their part and put a big X next to ASUS.

THat certainly would suck, yes. But don't give up hope yet until you haven't tried a speaker (like me:laugh:)

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Thanks for changing the thread title, I got carried away :D

LOL you must have thought I was Paulie. I'm not a mod :p

Any luck outside the case?

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800x
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X-570-Plus (WiFi)
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i
Memory 32 GB Corsair Dominator RGB DDR4 3200 Mhz @3600
Video Card(s) Asus AREZ RX Vega 64 Strix OC 8GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
Display(s) Asus PB258Q 25" 2560x1440
Case Cooler Master Master Case 5 Pro
Power Supply Corsair RMx 1000
Software Windows 10 Pro 64
One obvious thing is being missed, It's not mentioned in the original post whether or not the motherboard has onboard video or is using a videocard. If it's using a videocard make sure it's properly seated in the slot and if it uses PCIe power connectors that they are properly connected. That's the most common reason for a failed post.

If onboard video... I don't know then.

Last edited:
D

Duxx

LOL you must have thought I was Paulie. I'm not a mod :p

Any luck outside the case?

Just woke up, getting a speaker to find out beep codes hopefully within the next hour or two.. I know you aren't a mod, i was just adding it in as an extra to whoever did it. :p

One obvious thing is being missed, It's not mentioned in the original post whether or not the motherboard has onboard video or is using a videocard. If it's using a videocard make sure it's properly seated in the slot and if it uses PCIe power connectors that they are properly connected. That's the most common reason for a failed post.

If onboard video... I don't know then.

No onboard video, i have re-seated about 10 times and the 6 pin power connector is in, otherwise it screams at me when I turn it on. :)
:respect::respect:

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Try a PCI vid card ?

and clear cmos for the fun of it

D

Duxx

Try a PCI vid card ?

and clear cmos for the fun of it

Don't have a PCI video card.

I cleared Cmos like 20 times on old comp. I figured straight from the box wouldn't need me to.. but I will after i get a speaker for mobo. Hopefully that tells me something :/

D

Duxx

Have taken PC out of computer, hooked up PSU, RAM, CPU, HDD and gfx card. Nothing different has happened. Still searching for a speaker.. bahh