• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire PURE CrossFire RD580 Motherboard for Socket AM2

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Sapphire Technology has just announced two new motherboards for Socket AM2 processors in its PURE CrossFire series. The PURE CrossFire PC-AM2RD580 motherboard based on the latest CrossFire Xpress 3200 chipset and new SB600 Southbridge, comes with its unique white design and dual 16x PCI-Express graphics slots. It supports AMD's powerful AM2 Sempron, Athlon64, FX and dual core processors as well as up to 4GB of Dual Channel DDR2 memory. On board features of the Advantage board include both Gbit and 10/100 LAN, 4x SATA-II plus 4x SATA-II RAID, two ATA133 ports, ten USB 2.0, one parallel port and high definition 8-channel sound with SPDIF out. The other PC-AM2RD580ADV board has the same features as the PC-AM2RD580. The only difference is that D580ADV has 2 PCI slots while the PURE RD580 has only one. Both board allow changing the CPU, bus and memory voltage through the BIOS.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Hopefully they don't ruin the deal with a sky high price...

oldschool

Two more POS mobos not worth even considering with only one or two PCI slots. These folks can't buy a clue... They have Ten USB ports and Eight S-ATA ports but one or two PCI slots. Last time I checked Sapphires' website that had all kinds of memery, BIOS and even voltage problems and no solutions with the S939 / ATI chipset mobos. In this day and age if you can't deliver a PC enthusiast level mobo that will run industry standard PC3200 memory from the likes of Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, etc. you're in the wrong business and should go back to selling rice cakes IMO. And for those who don't already know Sapphire has zero Tech or Customer Support. They refer you to ATI's website or their user's forum so that other customers who purchased defective Sapphire mobos can try to help you or confirm that your mobo is a POS too.

How friggin difficult is it to copy the ATI reference mobo and do it properly? Evidently more difficult than Sapphire can handle. Oh, and yes their prices are out in the ozone because they ain't even close to reality. Hopefully now that AMD owns ATI they'll dump the Asian mobo loser companies and go with reputable mobo companies only.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
Most CrossFire or SLI motherboards only have 2 useably PCI slots at the most. PCIe is for the future, that's why they include it. 2 PCI is plenty enough IMO. If you want more, don't get an SLI or CrossFire motherboard then. Simple as that.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Two more POS mobos not worth even considering with only one or two PCI slots. These folks can't buy a clue... They have Ten USB ports and Eight S-ATA ports but one or two PCI slots.

Last time I checked, very few people even use PCI slots (especially since these mobos have an boatload of features and decent onboard sound) but the few that do only use a pci video card.

Not to mention THIS BOARD IS TARGETTED AT OVERCLOCKERS.

Seriously dude, you post this "omfg only 2 pci slots them newbz" every mobo review and its annoying. Get a clue. WE DONT CARE.

If you use 4 pci slots, you need to stick with a pentium 3. You obviously dont need overclocking features.

10 usb ports! you dont need a usb pci card. Good sound! sound card is dependent on what you prefer. 1 reason.

Board has boatload of sata and ide slots. you dont need a pci hdd controller.

THERE IS NO REASON TO USE PCI ANYMORE!!!

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Nice Dippy!

And also most people that use PCIe cards with high-end boards only use it for sound cards, like the SoundBlaster X-Fi or Audigy series, but soon sound cards will be PCIe too, like PCIe X1 or X4. Most onboard sound is getting better, and some motherbaords even have SoundBlaster L!ve too. If you want to use PCI still, move to an older system.

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
Last time I checked, very few people even use PCI slots (especially since these mobos have an boatload of features and decent onboard sound) but the few that do only use a pci video card.

Not to mention THIS BOARD IS TARGETTED AT OVERCLOCKERS.

Seriously dude, you post this "omfg only 2 pci slots them newbz" every mobo review and its annoying. Get a clue. WE DONT CARE.

If you use 4 pci slots, you need to stick with a pentium 3. You obviously dont need overclocking features.

10 usb ports! you dont need a usb pci card. Good sound! sound card is dependent on what you prefer. 1 reason.

Board has boatload of sata and ide slots. you dont need a pci hdd controller.

THERE IS NO REASON TO USE PCI ANYMORE!!!
I only have 2 pci slots, and I'm using them both. A wireless card, and a tv-tuner. So, what If I wanted a physics card now? Or a better sound card? My motherboard only has 1 pci-e. And don't go blaming the manufacturer. Fact is, all the addon cards, that are still widely used are PCI, not PCI-e.

(disgregard my system specs, I'm testing out a newer motherboard)

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I only have 2 pci slots, and I'm using them both. A wireless card, and a tv-tuner. So, what If I wanted a physics card now? Or a better sound card? My motherboard only has 1 pci-e. And don't go blaming the manufacturer. Fact is, all the addon cards, that are still widely used are PCI, not PCI-e.

(disgregard my system specs, I'm testing out a newer motherboard)

Then bummer. Should have bought a mobo with more slots. ;)

You however, are not 90% of the market. They don't really give a crap. seriously.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
These kind of boards are for enthusiasts, which usually only use graphics cards (1 or 2) and a sound card, which takes up only 1 PCI slot. But soon sound cards will be either PCIe X1(Physics cards too). Not everyone has a TV tuner, and gamers, the crowd these boards are targetted to, don't use wireless to play games, since most enthusiast level motherboards have (dual) 10/100/1000 Ethernet. You need to chose a motherboard w/ your needs. If you have only one graphics card, and no PCIeX1, but 3 PCI, then don't get a motherboard with 2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1, and 2 PCI(Some Asus boards for example).

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
These kind of boards are for enthusiasts, which usually only use graphics cards (1 or 2) and a sound card, which takes up only 1 PCI slot. But soon sound cards will be either PCIe X1(Physics cards too). Not everyone has a TV tuner, and gamers, the crowd these boards are targetted to, don't use wireless to play games, since most enthusiast level motherboards have (dual) 10/100/1000 Ethernet. You need to chose a motherboard w/ your needs. If you have only one graphics card, and no PCIeX1, but 3 PCI, then don't get a motherboard with 2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1, and 2 PCI(Some Asus boards for example).

see, my problem is that I play games, I want a decent video card, but I don't want to be stuck with a cheap motherboard. I am waiting for the RD580 based AM2 boards, preferrably the Epox, because of their reputation for overclocking. It's either that, or the abit variant, whenever it's released. But, I can almost garuantee both of these boards will have dual pci-e x16. There were m-atx boards made based on the previous ati chipset, but, they were cheap, and from brands not associated with high quality. These boards though, only featured 1 pcie x16.

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64
OK, TV Tuner's come in USB, one problem solved. Wireless LAN comes in USB, second problem solved. Seriously. PCI SLOTS ARE SLOW AND OUT OF DATE!!! They should actually just get rid of them, but for some unknown reason they are still included. If you must get PCI slots, then don't bitch about boards that have them. All RD580 boards will be Crossfire with dual 16X because that is what the chipset is designed for. Arguements like this are silly. That is why you have free choice and can pick and choose what board you buy.

Two more POS mobos not worth even considering with only one or two PCI slots. These folks can't buy a clue... They have Ten USB ports and Eight S-ATA ports but one or two PCI slots. Last time I checked Sapphires' website that had all kinds of memery, BIOS and even voltage problems and no solutions with the S939 / ATI chipset mobos. In this day and age if you can't deliver a PC enthusiast level mobo that will run industry standard PC3200 memory from the likes of Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, etc. you're in the wrong business and should go back to selling rice cakes IMO. And for those who don't already know Sapphire has zero Tech or Customer Support. They refer you to ATI's website or their user's forum so that other customers who purchased defective Sapphire mobos can try to help you or confirm that your mobo is a POS too.

How friggin difficult is it to copy the ATI reference mobo and do it properly? Evidently more difficult than Sapphire can handle. Oh, and yes their prices are out in the ozone because they ain't even close to reality. Hopefully now that AMD owns ATI they'll dump the Asian mobo loser companies and go with reputable mobo companies only.

When was the last time you visited DFI Street or the ASUS support site? How about Abit, Epox, etc....? THey all have MAJOR issues somewhere. Your rant just shows your ignorance. Don't be upset because they didn't design something to your specs. ALL motherboards have issues. ALL motherboards don't like certain ram. If they don't make them the way you like, make your own.

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
OK, TV Tuner's come in USB, one problem solved. Wireless LAN comes in USB, second problem solved. Seriously. PCI SLOTS ARE SLOW AND OUT OF DATE!!! They should actually just get rid of them, but for some unknown reason they are still included. If you must get PCI slots, then don't bitch about boards that have them. All RD580 boards will be Crossfire with dual 16X because that is what the chipset is designed for. Arguements like this are silly. That is why you have free choice and can pick and choose what board you buy.

USB wireless adapters, unless larger than the thumb stick size, have poor reception. The whole reason I didn't buy a usb adapter, was for space saving. I don't have to remove my pci adapter, when moving my computer, which I do often. I've got the same gripe with usb tv tuners. Not only do i transport my pc places, I'm constantly moving it out of it's cubby to modify something. If i add more cables to the mess I've already got now, I'm not solving anything. There are arguments for, and against pci, some people need them, some people don't.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
USB wireless adapters, unless larger than the thumb stick size, have poor reception. The whole reason I didn't buy a usb adapter, was for space saving. I don't have to remove my pci adapter, when moving my computer, which I do often. I've got the same gripe with usb tv tuners. Not only do i transport my pc places, I'm constantly moving it out of it's cubby to modify something. If i add more cables to the mess I've already got now, I'm not solving anything. There are arguments for, and against pci, some people need them, some people don't.
1.) wireless desktop cards in general have shit for reception. YOU HAVE NO ANTENNA!
2.) moving your computer often with a tv tuner? Buy an Ati All In Wonder. Problem solved. Not only is it pci-e 16x, but its integrated into the video card. You can even buy an x1900 AIW already.

see, my problem is that I play games, I want a decent video card, but I don't want to be stuck with a cheap motherboard. I am waiting for the RD580 based AM2 boards, preferrably the Epox, because of their reputation for overclocking. It's either that, or the abit variant, whenever it's released. But, I can almost garuantee both of these boards will have dual pci-e x16. There were m-atx boards made based on the previous ati chipset, but, they were cheap, and from brands not associated with high quality. These boards though, only featured 1 pcie x16.

Too bad the Abit Kn9 is single pcie... NF5...;) also, since when has epox had this "overclocking reputation"? Or have I been around too much to notice noone runs these? :roll: My Epox NF2's were decent.. better than my MSI's, but not near abit.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Epox don't really have an "overclocking reputation", they're good quality boards w/ OK overclocking, but if you want overclocking, DFI is the way to go (Abit WAS good, but their BIOS editor left and went to DFI). DFI has taken the performance crown when it comes to overclocking on AMD boards. Their DFI Infinity nForce 4 Ultra or the AM2 goes way past 400HTT, and most probably their LanParty series will do much better. Like what Dippy said earlier, you're not most of the market. They can't have three PCI slots and dual GPU at the same time since they'll need to put some PCIe x1 or x4 in there somewhere.

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
1.) wireless desktop cards in general have shit for reception. YOU HAVE NO ANTENNA!
2.) moving your computer often with a tv tuner? Buy an Ati All In Wonder. Problem solved. Not only is it pci-e 16x, but its integrated into the video card. You can even buy an x1900 AIW already.

Too bad the Abit Kn9 is single pcie... NF5...;) also, since when has epox had this "overclocking reputation"? Or have I been around too much to notice noone runs these? :roll: My Epox NF2's were decent.. better than my MSI's, but not near abit.

my router is two floors above me, and me desktop wireless card connects with low-very good signal strength. I make voip calls, and play online games, and i see no difference in speed compared to my old wired connection.

All in wonders don't interest me, they have a huge cluster of wire. but, they're still a good option, the only thing stopping me is money to upgrade.

As far as new motherboards, I'm trying to stay away from nforce chipsets, with respect to heat generation and power consumption. I read from some seemingly respectable sites that Epox does well with overclocking. Their MD580 board has me interested as well. As far as abit boards overclockability, I guess the via chipsets I've been using just aren't up for it, as they don't do all that well. but then, that's not really abit's fault.

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Epox don't really have an "overclocking reputation", they're good quality boards w/ OK overclocking, but if you want overclocking, DFI is the way to go (Abit WAS good, but their BIOS editor left and went to DFI). DFI has taken the performance crown when it comes to overclocking on AMD boards. Their DFI Infinity nForce 4 Ultra or the AM2 goes way past 400HTT, and most probably their LanParty series will do much better. Like what Dippy said earlier, you're not most of the market. They can't have three PCI slots and dual GPU at the same time since they'll need to put some PCIe x1 or x4 in there somewhere.

I understand i'm not most of the market...as far as epox goes, I happened to come upon forums with overclockers accounts of their reliability, and affordability in comparrison to brands like abit and dfi. I've been using abit for some time now, and if an RD580 based board comes out around the same price as the epox, I'm not sure who's i'd choose.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
If you're a hard overclocker, then DFI...but decent overclocker, Epox it may be for you. Sorry that you're most of the market, but I'm sure you'll find a board sooner, or later, that'll suit your needs. But later on, Sound cards, Physics, and more will be PCIe X1 or X4.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
as soon as the push for pci-less mobos come sound cards and physics cards will be pci-e.

ryboto listen dude. rd580=high end crossfire chipset. so most rd580 mobos will have 6/7 slots. there will be two pci-e16 spaced 2 slots apart for proper cooling. under the top slot will more then likly be a pci-e1, then more then likly a pci-e4 for best compatability. under the pci-e4 will be a second pci-e16 with another pci-e1 under it. that brings a total of 5 slots which leaves 2 for pci, and thats if they follow atx spec. there may only be 6 slots total which leaves u with one pci. what do powerusers with dual video cards need in slots? well more then likly a sound card or physics card. but then again how many people do u know with physics cards... theres oodles of usb these days and built in ethernet is hard to beat. maby u should get with the times dude.

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
as soon as the push for pci-less mobos come sound cards and physics cards will be pci-e.

ryboto listen dude. rd580=high end crossfire chipset. so most rd580 mobos will have 6/7 slots. there will be two pci-e16 spaced 2 slots apart for proper cooling. under the top slot will more then likly be a pci-e1, then more then likly a pci-e4 for best compatability. under the pci-e4 will be a second pci-e16 with another pci-e1 under it. that brings a total of 5 slots which leaves 2 for pci, and thats if they follow atx spec. there may only be 6 slots total which leaves u with one pci. what do powerusers with dual video cards need in slots? well more then likly a sound card or physics card. but then again how many people do u know with physics cards... theres oodles of usb these days and built in ethernet is hard to beat. maby u should get with the times dude.

i understand everything you're saying. I was just informing you, that even though not many people use them, there are some people, like myself. As far as RD580 mobos and pci goes, the MD580 epox board is going to have 3 pci slots, 2 pci-e x4 slots, and 2 pci-e x16. Sounds better than the 2 pci slots the abit at9 will have. Then again, maybe my first pci-e video card will be an aiw, and I'll only need one pci for my wifi card.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
You have a pretty decent system right now that'll last you a while. When you want to upgrade, either to AM2/3 or LGA 775 (Conroe) some Sound cards and what not should be PCIe X1 or X4...so waiting will be good.

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
There are even some high end ASUS boards that have built in Wi-Fi and they come with a seperate antenna that can be positioned for a better signal. As for All In Wonder cards, the X1900 AIW is cheaper than the X1900 XT, usually can be found for $200-$250.

As ffor DFI boards, when they actually work, they are some of the best clockers. They are not the be all end all overclocking board. Most high end boards overclock just as well. My ASUS board is just as fast as the DFI version, just lacks a few options in bios that I have worked around quite easily. DFI boards also like to just plain die, are easy to set settings that cause parts to pop and generally are a pain in the ass. I'd take my ASUS board over any DFI board any day.

One last thing. look at the posts by the person who started all this arguing, oldschool. This guy is a troll who loves to post stuff like this and bitch about everything. Get a grip buddy. If computers piss you off so much, pull the plug out of the wall and get a life.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/search.php?searchid=297776

Look at his last 30+ posts. All completely argumentative with nothing but personal gripes and no useful information at all. Sad............

Last edited:
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
i understand everything you're saying. I was just informing you, that even though not many people use them, there are some people, like myself. As far as RD580 mobos and pci goes, the MD580 epox board is going to have 3 pci slots, 2 pci-e x4 slots, and 2 pci-e x16. Sounds better than the 2 pci slots the abit at9 will have. Then again, maybe my first pci-e video card will be an aiw, and I'll only need one pci for my wifi card.

These days, get with the market, or you'll be left behind ;)

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
These days, get with the market, or you'll be left behind ;)

are you serious? If the market is still selling tv tuners, and motherboards to support them, how is that not with the market? this statement is confusing..

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Because there are already TV tuners out for the PCI-E 1X slot so you don't need to have the PCI version. The market moves forward so fast that by the time you install something that just came out it is obsolete. Just like S939. IT was supposed to be around longer than it is. I still don't understand why AMD had to change sockets just to adapt to DDR2 other than to force us all to buy new boards too.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
are you serious? If the market is still selling tv tuners, and motherboards to support them, how is that not with the market? this statement is confusing..

The market is pushing everything into different connections.. such as pci-e, USB and Sata rather than IDE...

You cant expect to keep things for years simply "upgrading" other components, anymore...