• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pirate Party Elected to EU Parliament

You guys have no idea how much this pisses me off as an artist. There is no argument for this.

Agreed, every MP3 downloaded damages the artist for at least $100K. At least we have politicians with half a brain who want to prevent these retarded American lawsuits to exist in the EU. Of course making everything legal is a bit too much.
Their other (2) ideas are a lot more serious/realistic though. Namely altering the (pharmaceutical) patenting system and protecting our privacy instead giving it up to America's fear of terrorists and whatnot. Considering plenty of politicians believe in fairy tales anyway and base their view of the world on that I don't see the Pirate Party as something bad.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Hello everybody :)
This is one great step towards a more democratic Europe. The idea is great and the only ones who probably won't benefit from the Pirate Party's ideas are the big companies (who already made tons of money, even with the piracy at hand).

For instance: if you're a musician that makes quality music and have ideas about making money from it ... you always can do some concerts/parties, sell vinyls/cds, promoting your work via sharing it freely on the web - i can bet you won't be having any problems :)

Let the creativity be the deciding factor ... not money.

I think most have adjusted to this way of doing things in the music world, there as always are some still straggling, and of course they are the ones w/ the most to lose (record companies). Some artists now release albums free of their own volition. Most money is made through touring or commercial licensing. Like I said before, I think this is fantastic for the music industry, much more freedom for the artists and far more diversity for the listening masses. It's spectacular.

The other industries are a bit more difficult. The movie industry needs to lower their prices I think, they are attempting to jack things up too high. They are adjusting though w/ netflix and such streaming, and the new $1 movieboxes here in the US, but they still need a bit better overall prices to avoid piracy. Gaming is tougher, again lower prices will help, but they need more adjustment than any of the the other industries IMO. Almost ironic considering they are the most tech of the bunch.....

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Agreed, every MP3 downloaded damages the artist for at least $100K.

I'd love to see any proof for anything remotely like this claim.

Assuming one downloaded MP3 means one less album sold (And I am giving you the benefit of the doubt there) - Even then we're talking about pennies for the artist himself.

Piracy is wrong, no doubt there, but this claim of yours is completely baseless.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'd love to see any proof for anything remotely like this claim.

Assuming one downloaded MP3 means one less album sold (And I am giving you the benefit of the doubt there) - Even then we're talking about pennies for the artist himself.

Piracy is wrong, no doubt there, but this claim of yours is completely baseless.

I think he was being sarcastic.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Referring to illegally downloading a .mp3 file, which could be legally done for ~$5 on gayTunes, and then being sued for thousands of dollars for doing so.

Last edited:
System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
I think he was being sarcastic.

On second reading, I think you're right. :banghead:

I should stop reading forums while I code. Never leads to the right conclusions.

Sorry everyone...

Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
Same here. Morning at work doesnt help my convey my opinion well.

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
Agreed, every MP3 downloaded damages the artist for at least $100K. At least we have politicians with half a brain who want to prevent these retarded American lawsuits to exist in the EU. Of course making everything legal is a bit too much.
Their other (2) ideas are a lot more serious/realistic though. Namely altering the (pharmaceutical) patenting system and protecting our privacy instead giving it up to America's fear of terrorists and whatnot. Considering plenty of politicians believe in fairy tales anyway and base their view of the world on that I don't see the Pirate Party as something bad.

thx DAN you made me laguht again. :wtf::D

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Meh I don't feel like arguing. I just think stealing something that someone has made is wrong. How are they gonna make more music/games if they get no money from making it? Are they just suppose to just give it out for free and make another one? In a perfect world maybe, but not the messed up we all live in.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
Meh I don't feel like arguing. I just think stealing something that someone has made is wrong. How are they gonna make more music/games if they get no money from making it? Are they just suppose to just give it out for free and make another one? In a perfect world maybe, but not the messed up we all live in.

Right and wrong aside (really personal morality on theft doesn't need to play a part here), there still needs to be workable solutions for companies to receive compensation for works without invading the privacy of the consumers. Much work needs to be done in this, and simply suing isn't going to help things. Like it or not the technology has required adjustment, and adjustments need to be made. Hopefully this party will be able to work towards that goal.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Great one small step for pirates, One giant fall for artists. WTF is wrong with the EU for allowing this. To hell with these people.

Come on, be honest. Stealing is bad, but it's not like record companies (one example) are "looking out" for artists -- they're looking out for profits.

How much was it out of the sale of every $20 CD that an artist got in the end? $1? $2?

Hey Guys,

I am an artist as well, and personally I would like nothing more than for people to hear my music on a grand scale, passing it around and giving copies to all their friends and family. I want it to be heard because of the message, and my purpose, not solely for making money.

Please have a listen to my new song "Food For Thought". Please listen to the lyrics, don't just breeze through it. Also, please pass it around! Thanks!

http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?...m/files/2009/6/8/2470210/Food For Thought.mp3

I did every aspect of this song (rapping, production, everything) except for the beatboxing.

Breathless

Last edited:
System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
You do realise guys that even though the ARTISTS themselves don't get much, the RECORD COMPANIES do. How are record companies going to sign people up when they have no money to pay them? What are they going to pay them with, salt? The record industry gets new artists out there.

Consider that.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
You do realise guys that even though the ARTISTS themselves don't get much, the RECORD COMPANIES do. How are record companies going to sign people up when they have no money to pay them? What are they going to pay them with, salt? The record industry gets new artists out there.

Consider that.

The main reason the record companies were needed before is b/c printed mediums were needed to distribute music (vinyl, cds, ect). This is expensive, and one needs a big company to do it and promote it. Now all you need is an internet connection to accomplish the same task. Just look above, 10 years ago Breathless would have had to stand on the concert passing out singles or hope to get a record contract if he/she wanted to go national or international. Now all that's needed is a quick upload and everyone in the world can hear it. There can of course still be advantages of record companies, such as pooling recourses, advertising, and touring advantages, but they are not needed to get the music out there, and the industry is better served by their new found lack of power. They would of course disagree.....

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Fact 1.

Did you know that artist typically get paid less than 8% of the sale price of the CD/mp3. Think about where the other 92% is going before you scream about maintaining the status quo in the music distribution industry.

Fact 2.

Think about it the other way... perhaps music artists are being stolen from by the music industry. 92%. And often the contracts with the artists include cost subtractions, like they get 8% only AFTER all marketing and promotion has been paid.

The artist, especially inexperienced ones, get locked into contracts that last a lifetime. The get "legally" stolen from for all the music they write or perform.

Fact 3.
Most people that argue against the methods and contracts of the various collection agencies such as ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, RIAA etc... DONT argue against copyright, per se, but about how it should be fairly managed, and if someone does breach copyright, the penalty should be equal to the injury and not 1000x more, like all this RIAA nonsense in the US.

Fact 4.
The music industry is attempting to go down the "licensing" route, just like software. You will not own music you buy, but have the right to listen to it a number of times. That is known to be the next step of what they want to implement. First DRM control, then number of plays control. Just like the same way you pay per minute for using the phone, or per GB for using the internet, or per burger that you eat, so you will pay per minute for listening to music

This method of distribution is equally valid. Although I for one dont want it. Imagine buying a chair or a bed and you were only allowed to sit down do many times before you had to pay again!

Fact 5.
Consumer rights and civil rights are being constantly eroded. Any party that STANDS against that wins my favour. So long as they stay ethical.

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
and UKIP - same party different colours.

Erm, no they aren't, get your facts straight and read their policies. They are for the withdrawl from the EU which is in no way facist.:shadedshu

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Erm, no they aren't, get your facts straight and read their policies. They are for the withdrawl from the EU which is in no way facist.:shadedshu

That's why i got my UKIP and BNP fliers through the letter box wrapped in a nice blue elastic band.

And no they aren't the same, ones just openly racist the other isn't.

The main reason the record companies were needed before is b/c printed mediums were needed to distribute music (vinyl, cds, ect). This is expensive, and one needs a big company to do it and promote it. Now all you need is an internet connection to accomplish the same task. Just look above, 10 years ago Breathless would have had to stand on the concert passing out singles or hope to get a record contract if he/she wanted to go national or international. Now all that's needed is a quick upload and everyone in the world can hear it. There can of course still be advantages of record companies, such as pooling recourses, advertising, and touring advantages, but they are not needed to get the music out there, and the industry is better served by their new found lack of power. They would of course disagree.....

And how are they going to find this new music on the interwebs? Artists need the companies to promote them.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
And how are they going to find this new music on the interwebs? Artists need the companies to promote them.

Uhm, well how Breathless did right there. Or through myspace or various other internet tools, I'm not sure why I need to answer that. They don't need companies to promote them anymore, they need people to. Record companies can still aid in various aspects as I said, but their importance is greatly reduced, and hopefully this will lead to them having less power to take advantage of consumers and artists alike.

Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thats what im saying. Barely any money is going to these artists anyways. The record companies are getting it all. Now they are getting pissy because of digital distribution and blame pirates for their sales. People dont want to buy their crappy expensive disks, they need to get with the program.

EDIT: Or better yet i wouldnt mind if some of those record companies just disappeared. Nobody wants/needs them anymore.

I think that if anyone decides/bothers to listen to my song they will see why I would likely not need a record company to promote my stuff. Good quality music with a good message that wasn't thrown together in a half hour, that actually took skill to make and is inspirational spreads like gangrene.

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
That's why i got my UKIP and BNP fliers through the letter box wrapped in a nice blue elastic band.

And no they aren't the same, ones just openly racist the other isn't.

Probably the person paid to deliver them being lazy, who knows. But they are not the same, not by a long way.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Ok the only argument I hear in this thread is yall think the record companies make to much. Thats not an argument. I think car dealers make to much. Should I steal their cars? No of course not. Artists not only need channels for distribution but a way of producing it. Who do you think pays for the studio time? You think thats free? There are so many variables to this its mind boggling.

Most artist are for organizations like the RIIA to protect their work. Intellectual property is in fact PROPERTY and its not something that can be protected by junk yard dogs or high fences. This is why the RIIA exists. To protect investments. So you bastards keep stealing and keep using semantics to sway the argument in your favor. The fact remains if you take something for sale and do not pay for it you are in fact a THEIF.

As for these Pirates being elected I have one word for you. Bush.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Just proves that ninjas are not as cool as pirates!

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
Ok the only argument I hear in this thread is yall think the record companies make to much. Thats not an argument. I think car dealers make to much. Should I steal their cars? No of course not. Artists not only need channels for distribution but a way of producing it. Who do you think pays for the studio time? You think thats free? There are so many variables to this its mind boggling.

Most artist are for organizations like the RIIA to protect their work. Intellectual property is in fact PROPERTY and its not something that can be protected by junk yard dogs or high fences. This is why the RIIA exists. To protect investments. So you bastards keep stealing and keep using semantics to sway the argument in your favor. The fact remains if you take something for sale and do not pay for it you are in fact a THEIF.

As for these Pirates being elected I have one word for you. Bush.

That isn't by a long shot the only argument being made, nor is your analogy comparable. One no longer needs a professional studio to make music, nor do you need a record company to buy studio time, but yes there are many variables. We can keep discussing the morality of it but IMO the real thing here is and I repeat

Right and wrong aside (really personal morality on theft doesn't need to play a part here), there still needs to be workable solutions for companies to receive compensation for works without invading the privacy of the consumers. Much work needs to be done in this, and simply suing isn't going to help things. Like it or not the technology has required adjustment, and adjustments need to be made. Hopefully this party will be able to work towards that goal.

Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
Plus, the Pirate party isnt trying to destroy everything. They are just pushing for stronger privacy for us and possible copyright and patent reform.